5 months to go...

Congrats PageTwo! Enjoy your retirement. Let us know how life is once you reach retirement. It’s great motivation for working stiffs like myself. :D

Only because I know you're all anxiously waiting for it, here's my latest update... we're now just one short month away! Things are going smoothly, although Delta has done away with that short-lived fantasy of the trip to Barcelona.

My retirement has not been broadly announced yet beyond my immediate team, but word has been getting out through the grapevine, of course. Reactions have been supportive and enthusiastic across the board, and transition of my work to other team members is going smoothly.

The only thing that is going in a different direction than I expected is the hiring of someone to replace me. My boss has favored passing on pieces of my job to different existing team members, and it looks like he is going to give my future back-fill a different focus.

My schedule is rapidly filling up already with retired-life commitments in October and beyond through the holidays! How did THAT happen? It's a funny feeling when scheduling something for a Tuesday at noon and thinking "Of course I can make it. I'll be retired by then." :ROFLMAO:

Page 2, My target is 13 months from now. How did you get through the 8 months up until your announced "5 months left"? I am finding it harder and harder, even I went to 30 hrs/week inJune.

I didn't live through a countdown longer than 5 months, really. While I had a vague notion that I'd like to retire early for a couple of years, the whole thing didn't become a firm objective until the 5-month mark for me. I had an intuitive feeling that I would be financially ready, but I didn't sit down to do any actual modeling until that point, either.

Once I made a firm decision, the 5 months passed remarkably quickly.

I love reading these countdown stories/ feelings. Can’t wait until I have one to add. It almost sounds like the “build up” to retirement is as good as actually getting there! Congratulations all!

My exit was similar, with a reassignment of my former team to two different managers (one a newbie). I think it made the transition a lot harder than it had to be. I got panicked calls from former staff for a couple of months. But they petered out when they realized I wasn't coming back! Now I connect with the few I really enjoyed personally.

Dates are firm now! October 1st = last day of work. Then 6 weeks of vacation (can you tell I was behind in using it up?). Last day with company = November 15th. It is possible that I may get some calls from teammates during the vacation period as they figure things out... I assured them I'd pick up the phone if that happens :)

good for you, and really cool to get the vacation at 100%.
DW will get bought out at a discount and she runs with about 10 weeks of PTO in the bank.

Dates are firm now! October 1st = last day of work. Then 6 weeks of vacation (can you tell I was behind in using it up?). Last day with company = November 15th. It is possible that I may get some calls from teammates during the vacation period as they figure things out... I assured them I'd pick up the phone if that happens :)

That’s a very good outcome for you to effectively get your 6 weeks of vacation time culminating in your retirement. I’m not sure many companies would have been so accommodating.

It's okay if you forget to turn your phone on during vacation. :cool:
Your co-workers will understand.

I hear the mobile reception can be really spotty in Barcelona! :LOL:

Thanks again for giving the rest of us (current) w@#*ers a glimpse of our futures. Enjoy, and keep us updated on how things go in the transition.

Congratulations on working your plan. DO, please keep us up to date on your new life after your transition. We love "happy endings."

Back
Top Bottom