5 Things You Didn’t Know About Hot Dogs

Click bait.
Or is it clickbait, I forget.
Maybe it's brain fog from to many hotdogs. Spell check says it's hot dogs.
Anyway, I don't often eat them, but enjoy I do!
FWIW, I'm in Europe and eating a fair amount of sausage. Trigger* is in a lot of sausage here, but I don't mind. :horse:

*See "Roy Rogers"

Hot dogs are at their best when cooked on the end of a stick over a fire on the ground. Next best is on a grill. Worst is boiled - yuck!

Then mustard & onions. Yum.

"lips, ears, and snouts"

no more eyelids and rectums ? Gaah, those cost cutting beancounters always skimp on the premium ingredients...

Hot dogs are at their best when cooked on the end of a stick over a fire on the ground. Next best is on a grill. Worst is boiled - yuck!

Then mustard & onions. Yum.

Yeah, I can't do a boiled dog. When I'm in a hurry I'll slap them on my Foreman grill. Otherwise I prefer a charcoal grilled one.

Sonoran Dogs are the best. Period.

During college I had a summer job working at the local Eckrich plant. I'd rather not eat any processed meats if I don't have to. :(

_B

I like the hotdogs I got in Europe or Switzerland last. I haven’t had an American hotdog lately. Not even the one from Costco for $1.50

I did know these facts. Still love them at BBQ's and ballgames.

Click bait.
Or is it clickbait, I forget.

Definitely click-bait. Or click bait. Or clickbait.

While hot dogs can contain things we consider gross, they generally do not, because they have to put it on the label, and then people would go 'ewww' and not buy them. So they don't.

Google is your friend. Click-bait isn't.

https://www.refinery29.com/hot-dog-ingredients-all-beef

In reality, most hotdogs you find at a grocery store, and especially the national brands, don't contain anything close to organs. According to the USDA, hotdogs must be made of meat or poultry, and can contain more than one kind of meat. They also must be mostly made from "raw skeletal muscle." Any hot dogs that contain organs, what the USDA lovingly refers to as "byproducts and variety meats" must be labelled by ingredient.
-ERD50

Catfish love hotdogs. A number 6 hook fits perfectly inside most hotdogs.

Last edited:
Obviously written by someone who thinks “food” comes from the grocery store...

I’ll take mine grilled, with onions, peppers, dill relish, and some brown mustard!

Oooh, I do love the hot dog. Generally in the form of a chili dog; onions, cheese and mustard. It's a rare thing that I do this now, but maybe once a quarter I get some "upgraded" Franks and go on a dog binge... Top choice now is Hill Country franks. Lips, beaks, wrecktum and a snappy casing. Couldn't care less. Smothered in Texas red with the above accoutrements it provides me with a soul saving and heart killing joy.

Ode to hot dogs

I love hot dogs although I don't eat them now since I need to lose weight.

Back in the 1960's, I dated a boy who worked at a hot dog plant. He told me the most horrifying and repugnant facts about them. I won't even get into the rats and roaches part.

I would still eat them a lot if I was a naturally skinny person. Mmmmm, hot dogs with sauerkraut and hot mustard and pickles? Mmmmmm Or even just plain.

I love hot dogs although I don't eat them now since I need to lose weight.

Back in the 1960's, I dated a boy who worked at a hot dog plant. He told me the most horrifying and repugnant facts about them. I won't even get into the rats and roaches part.

I would still eat them a lot if I was a naturally skinny person. Mmmmm, hot dogs with sauerkraut and hot mustard and pickles? Mmmmmm Or even just plain.

Thanks for not getting into the R&R part, . . . uh, I think.

I do eat a dog every now and then. The last time I had one was July 3 at the neighbor's fireworks watching party. Her front yard has a good view of the city's fireworks show.

Hoffman hot dogs and Snappys. Over $4 a pound and well worth it.
Aldi uncured turkey Frank's for the everyday.

I love hot dogs! Once a week for the Costco dog (or sausage) which has 75% of its calories from fat. I spent my summers working in a factory doing double shifts where I would take a pack of wieners and a pack of buns. The cafeteria had free condiments and a microwave. Ate 12 hotdogs a day!! Still here. As to what is in them... think Jack Nicholson in 'A Few Good Men'. Fortunately humans are very efficient garburators.

Picture below is from a recent trip to Malawi. One of the poorest countries in Africa. Children selling snacks at the roadside on the way to the airport - locals call them 'African Sausages'. On the bright side, you don't have to guess what is in them.

african sausages.jpg

I thought is was common knowledge that sausage was stuffed inside pork intestines. What's new?

Did not read the article but will only eat the ones in natural casing's (cause I like the snap). Might have them once or twice a week. I like them with good German sauerkraut, coarse french mustard on a potato roll. The cook will put them in the lentils occasionally, if we do not have smoked pork chops or a andoulee type sausage in the house.

I recall many years ago in high school the hot dogs were boiled and had a greenish tinge to them. The water they were boiled in had a red tinge. The hotdog might have had soy bean mixed in with the meat (?) and the dye soaked out. Probably some kind of government issue and healthier than the more expensive hotdogs.

I also remember in the late 60s stopping at a roadside gas station while traveling through SC and buying hot dogs at 5 for a dollar. Money was tight for this college student. Good thing they didn't sell sushi. :eek:

Cheers!

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom