5 Years Retired Today

38Chevy454

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I just realized that today is 5 years to the day that I retired. It's been a great ride so far. Looking forward to many more years of retirement.

Mostly all good. Health, finances and settling in the retirement lifestyle. DW and I left old working state the day that was my last workday and traveled 1500 miles to new retirement place here in Cincinnati. Cincinnati because to be closer to family. Have a great house and big detached garage here to enjoy. Last year bought a snowbird place and now have a permanent winter location vs just RV park and moving around. I have lots of space to work on my old cars, and 2.5 acres of land to keep up, which I don't mind doing.

Only real negative was covid shutdown and being some lost months basically stuck around home because everything else was shut down. Happy that most things are closer to normal now. Of course relatively recent inflation is concerning, but so far it is just costing more. Not really stopping doing the same things; just hurts the wallet little more.

So generally as a 5 year checkup it has been successful and i would give about 9 out of 10 score. That's pretty good and makes me happy about my early retirement decision.

I just realized that today is 5 years to the day that I retired. It's been a great ride so far. Looking forward to many more years of retirement.

Mostly all good. Health, finances and settling in the retirement lifestyle. DW and I left old working state the day that was my last workday and traveled 1500 miles to new retirement place here in Cincinnati. Cincinnati because to be closer to family. Have a great house and big detached garage here to enjoy. Last year bought a snowbird place and now have a permanent winter location vs just RV park and moving around. I have lots of space to work on my old cars, and 2.5 acres of land to keep up, which I don't mind doing.

Only real negative was covid shutdown and being some lost months basically stuck around home because everything else was shut down. Happy that most things are closer to normal now. Of course relatively recent inflation is concerning, but so far it is just costing more. Not really stopping doing the same things; just hurts the wallet little more.

So generally as a 5 year checkup it has been successful and i would give about 9 out of 10 score. That's pretty good and makes me happy about my early retirement decision.
That is awesome!
Retirement like anything else in life it is what you make it to be.

Congratulations!

Another ER success story. :dance:

omni

Very happy for you. So glad it's all working out.

Isn't it nice when our plans work out?
We are in our 6th year, time sure has gone by fast!
Enjoying Life!

Congrats! Always love to hear success stories!

Congrats. We’d all be thrilled with a 9! I am in year 11 and I'd give it an 8, though might have been a higher number before the C19 setback...

Last edited:
Thanks for your report. I am in year six of retirement. I am sort of doing a reset of my routine. I was doing some volunteer work, but I feel like I need to find something to feel more relevant.

I signed up for seminars through Osher Lifelong Learning Institute. I am hoping to get mentally engaged and meet new people in my snow-bird location.

Congrats! I'm now at 2 years FIREd and while a lot has happened over that time, it still feels new and fresh to me.

Closing in on 21 years of FIRE here, and it's still a 10 out of 10.

Congrats on 5 years. We also hit our 5 year mark at the beginning of Aug and everything is good.

Reading this reminded me that 8/5 was the sixth anniversary of my FIRE. I was so busy that I forgot all about it.

Not what I envisioned since I ended up rescuing my mother from the nursing home just as covid ripped through in April 2020 and have been taking care of her full time since then. However if I was still wrking I would not have been able to do that, so a blessing in disguise.

Us too! My last day was either the 1st or 2nd Friday of Aug. 2017. tbh it was kinda a 2nd retirement, but at least this time the wife was able to file for her pension so we weren't trying to live on savings...

38Chevy454, Congratulations!
We also completed 5 years of ER in June, 2022.
Here's to many more decades of joy and happiness, Cheers!

Thanks for your report. I am in year six of retirement. I am sort of doing a reset of my routine. I was doing some volunteer work, but I feel like I need to find something to feel more relevant.

I signed up for seminars through Osher Lifelong Learning Institute. I am hoping to get mentally engaged and meet new people in my snow-bird location.

Are you in Williamsburg, VA or is Osher nationwide? I plan to take some Osher classes as well.

Back
Top Bottom