50 office-speak phrases you love to hate

Another is "do work around" instead of "work on". This one seems to be creeping in everywhere. I noticed it at a meeting at w@rk today, and also at Diocesan Convention (regional church governing body) the end of last month.

Another is "do work around" instead of "work on". This one seems to be creeping in everywhere. I noticed it at a meeting at w@rk today, and also at Diocesan Convention (regional church governing body) the end of last month.

I would have thought that "work around" would mean something like avoiding/coming to terms with an issue...... like getting around. But then, what do I know...?

How about "we have to do their thinking for them" which meant we are going to do this other departments job for them,Thus became our work forever.

I would have thought that "work around" would mean something like avoiding/coming to terms with an issue...... like getting around. But then, what do I know...?
That's English for you—multiple quite different ways to say the same thing, and similar-sounding phrases with differing meanings.

There can be a "workaround" which is an alternative solution to a problem e.g. "we ran into a problem with the original design and had to develop a workaround at the last minute". I'm trying to think if I've ever heard "work around" used in the sense you describe. I know I've heard "talk around" used that way—"everyone knows what the problem is but nobody wants to admit it, so instead of discussing a solution we spent the whole meeting talking around it".

But what I've been hearing recently is not either of those. It's use of "do work around" instead of "work on" or just plain "work". For example, a manager might thank the finance team "for the work they have done around budgeting", rather than "for their work on the budget" or "for their budget work". There is also "dealing with issues around X" rather than "solving problems with X" and other similar constructions.

That's English for you—multiple quite different ways to say the same thing, and similar-sounding phrases with differing meanings.

There can be a "workaround" which is an alternative solution to a problem e.g. "we ran into a problem with the original design and had to develop a workaround at the last minute". I'm trying to think if I've ever heard "work around" used in the sense you describe. I know I've heard "talk around" used that way—"everyone knows what the problem is but nobody wants to admit it, so instead of discussing a solution we spent the whole meeting talking around it".

But what I've been hearing recently is not either of those. It's use of "do work around" instead of "work on" or just plain "work". For example, a manager might thank the finance team "for the work they have done around budgeting", rather than "for their work on the budget" or "for their budget work". There is also "dealing with issues around X" rather than "solving problems with X" and other similar constructions.

"Tap dance around" (not used officially).

I hate that one too. I wish people would stop being so indirect and wishy washy. Just do it, dammit! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom