55+ community living?

I would never move into a 55 plus community. I like the mixture of young and old . Too many old grouches in these places. I am 59 and would never move into a 55 and above pre-nursing home community.

If you buy or lease in a new 55 plus, you will get a fresh crop

of active retirees to mine friends from. Age diverse communities with busy families provide a smaller potential partier pool.

One trick is move in early in construction phase and milk builder subsidy, move or sell before handover.

Rinse and repeat in same area collecting new social contacts in each hood, getting in early, leaving before reality

of fees kick in post handover.

Our Florida place is age diverse with a resort orientation. I find the the crazy stuff to be entertaining, so far. Last week someone vandalized the refurbed basketball courts, but kids parents came forward to pay for repairs.

What do you mean by “handover?”

What do you mean by “handover?”

I think he's referring to when these properties are first built the builder chairs the HOA but after enough units are sold they handover to the elected HOA board.

I would never move into a 55 plus community. I like the mixture of young and old . Too many old grouches in these places. I am 59 and would never move into a 55 and above pre-nursing home community.
Different strokes for different folks. I know people who are very happy in their 55+ communities, and others who'd never live in one - we're in the latter group. We looked very seriously at several 55+ communities in several cities/states for years because they had the homes/layouts we wanted, but fortunately for us we never bought. We kinda liked the smaller Epcon communities, you couldn't pay me to live in either of the monster Del Webb communities we considered - beyond depressing to us.

Rather than belabor a dissenting POV, from the other thread http://www.early-retirement.org/for...lages-in-a-few-weeks-96561-3.html#post2201892

Last edited:
I think he's referring to when these properties are first built the builder chairs the HOA but after enough units are sold they handover to the elected HOA board.

Some of them (builders) don't develop the common places and grounds until the build-out is X% completed. So if you are new, you might wait a year or two for that pickelball court or dog park.

Interesting, sounds like a bit of a negative for the Del Web communities IMHO if they let anyone in to eat, sort of defeats the objective. I am not sure whether that is all Del Web properties or just hers.

I've been in a couple Del Webb communities to play golf. As I recall just told the guy at the front gate I was playing golf and he waived me through. Didn't seem to be an issue with the residents, all the people I met that lived there really liked it.

Democracy is oh so messy. When the builder is around
problems just get solved and the drama is minimized.

Our area has a condo portion living among single family HOAs all under a Master that runs the amenities and a separate CDD that runs the roads, lakes and guardhouse.

But, the builder is making decisions on a short timeline and
issues come out of the woodwork during handover.

A risk averse time to get out is at handover or buy well past handover when the dust settles. Would not buy if amenities were not already operating in case of another 2008 and the hood going zombie.

A good time to buy for the brave is when handover panic is peaking and prices are tanking.

Never ever never buy when real estate is being sold as a lottery as back in 2006 2007.

The smartest play might be to lease from a speculator at the cheapest price you can get, so that DW can furnish and
decorate.

If the lease becomes too expensive or whatever, there will be ten other identical units available to leverage against each other for the best lease.

Last edited:

+2

Have a wide range of friends and co-workers and business associates. Maybe it's a coincidence but the only ones who moved and stayed in a 55+ community are all overweight and spend more time in front of TV than using any of the community's facilities.

Personally I think 55+ are discriminatory.

So what is wrong with the Del Webb communities?
BRIEFLY and not complete:

• The houses all look too much alike.
  • Their home sales practices are despicable IMO. They avoid giving specific pricing info beyond "starts at." And they even hide much of what's standard and not, until you've already signed a starts at contract - buying a house is a two step process, but you're stuck after the first step without knowing what step two will cost IF you let them. It took about 2 weeks to get pricing without signing a contract but when the $250K house we priced hit $425K without all the bells and whistles, we pulled the plug. What's standard was a joke, no one would buy such a house.
  • A small 55+ community like Epcon with a small clubhouse/community might be OK, since there's life outside. The Del Webb communities we visited were 1000-1200 homes, with a huge clubhouse - just an overwhelming number of blue hairs everywhere we went. We looked online at some of the 55+ communities that are 30-50 years old, they looked awful! Might start out as a nice, vibrant community but we don't want to end up in a community where the median age is 80+ even if we're 80+. Some might like that, no problem.
  • Lots of activities, many of them really lame IMO.
  • One had a golf course, included in HOA - I play golf but I don't want to be forced to pay ongoing for a home course, I like to play a variety of courses.
  • I could go on and on, but enough.

Last edited:
I wouldn't care to move into one either. Not enough diversity and I think I would feel guilt if I didn't use the facilities that they offer.

What really is the benefit of a 55 community living, from living somewhere else?

I wouldn't care to move into one either. Not enough diversity and I think I would feel guilt if I didn't use the facilities that they offer.

What really is the benefit of a 55 community living, from living somewhere else?

I believe some of them have property taxes calculated at a lower rate because they are not sending children to the public schools. And it can be hard to find smaller one-story new construction, which many seem to want going into their last house.

Friends just bought a Del Webb home in a new development outside Nashville--they seem very happy there. Good for them, imo. Personally, we're not leaving our little old house that we bought forty years ago, even though it is two stories with laundry in the basement (I believe in climbing stairs as long as we can).

My parents are looking to move to a 55+ in florida.

They are very active and healthy mid-70's, and they do love their current home. But, as folks move out of their SFH neighborhood, younger ones (with small kids) move in. That has resulted in some very noisy afternoons of kids playing and shouting in the houses they back on to. Normal stuff, but not the peace and quiet they want now. And this is Florida, so you don't even get quiet snowed-in days.

They also want a view, and the inclusion of all maintenance. A newer 55+ (and there are plenty) means they'll probably never have to re-do another roof or worry about normal wear and tear for a while. A nice community pool vs. their own. Walk-able well-maintained neighborhood. They'd rather have cookie cutter and strict HOA, than worry about the neighbor next door who has late night parties every other weekend.

Like most things, some are better than others, and nothing is for everyone. Personally I can't see myself doing it either, but the house and community they like are pretty nice so we'll see what happens.

My parents are looking to move to a 55+ in florida.

They are very active and healthy mid-70's, and they do love their current home. But, as folks move out of their SFH neighborhood, younger ones (with small kids) move in. That has resulted in some very noisy afternoons of kids playing and shouting in the houses they back on to. Normal stuff, but not the peace and quiet they want now. And this is Florida, so you don't even get quiet snowed-in days.

They also want a view, and the inclusion of all maintenance. A newer 55+ (and there are plenty) means they'll probably never have to re-do another roof or worry about normal wear and tear for a while. A nice community pool vs. their own. Walk-able well-maintained neighborhood. They'd rather have cookie cutter and strict HOA, than worry about the neighbor next door who has late night parties every other weekend.

Like most things, some are better than others, and nothing is for everyone. Personally I can't see myself doing it either, but the house and community they like are pretty nice so we'll see what happens.

There is an ongoing thread more specifically about The Villages. There is some back and forth about the desirability or otherwise regarding the presence of young people vs. the exclusion thereof. I took a ride "off the reservation" today to do some shopping. I was treated to the ear-pounding blasting of some younger generation's Super-Duper-Doesn't Everyone Think My Sub-Woofer is The Coolest Thing Ever!! "music"....gosh it was great to be reminded of the pleasant aspect of peace and quiet, and respect for others.

I believe some of them have property taxes calculated at a lower rate because they are not sending children to the public schools. And it can be hard to find smaller one-story new construction, which many seem to want going into their last house.
That may be true (I have no idea) but every 55+ community we looked at had MUCH higher HOA fees than nearby mixed neighborhoods. FWIW

BRIEFLY and not complete:

• The houses all look too much alike.
  • Their home sales practices are despicable IMO. They avoid giving specific pricing info beyond "starts at." And they even hide much of what's standard and not, until you've already signed a starts at contract - buying a house is a two step process, but you're stuck after the first step without knowing what step two will cost IF you let them. It took about 2 weeks to get pricing without signing a contract but when the $250K house we priced hit $425K without all the bells and whistles, we pulled the plug. What's standard was a joke, no one would buy such a house.
  • A small 55+ community like Epcon with a small clubhouse/community might be OK, since there's life outside. The Del Webb communities we visited were 1000-1200 homes, with a huge clubhouse - just an overwhelming number of blue hairs everywhere we went. We looked online at some of the 55+ communities that are 30-50 years old, they looked awful! Might start out as a nice, vibrant community but we don't want to end up in a community where the median age is 80+ even if we're 80+. Some might like that, no problem.
  • Lots of activities, many of them really lame IMO.
  • One had a golf course, included in HOA - I play golf but I don't want to be forced to pay ongoing for a home course, I like to play a variety of courses.
  • I could go on and on, but enough.

Thanks for the list.

In terms of 80+, do you really expect to live in such a community for more than 15-20 years? Once we reach early 80s we plan to move to more of a CCRC independent living type situation. Even more blue-haireds there but we’ll be blue-haired too if we make it that long!

That may be true (I have no idea) but every 55+ community we looked at had MUCH higher HOA fees than nearby mixed neighborhoods. FWIW

I suspect that’s because yard maintenance is usually included.

For our HOA fee ($185/month) in our 55+ community of 437 homes:

Yard maintenance weekly (grass cutting, bush trimming, edging, etc),

Sprinkler system repair if needed.

Trash and recycle pick up weekly,

Mulching of the front yard and common areas annually,

Security system monthly monitoring fee (home) and maintenance (if needed),

Front door refinishing every three years,

Home paining of the outside of the house every 7 years,

Wood fence and gate repair or replacement every 7 years,

Front yard tree trimming (annual),

Use of pool, grounds, and community center,

Many paid community center events and celebrations (slight fee for catered dinners).

We have no golf course to suck funds.

There's more, but I can't recall right now.

edit: gutter cleaning twice per year,

Last edited:
I was looking at the ones around Florida too, especially the 'Latitude Margaritaville' in Daytona Beach. I'm a little hesitant about moving into a retirees' neighborhood since they seemed like mostly couples and I'm single, with no kids or grandkids to discuss, and have lived outside the U.S. half my life so tend to be a little different... lol.

Our condo board has greatly improved since the retired professional single women have taken it over and have their own clique going. But we are a very mixed age community that is attractive to alternate lifestyle people and singles. A lot of women in their 80s going strong with real estate liscences.

I would avoid the isolated sub sub urban golf focussed communities if single.

If you are a bit athletic, pickleball is very easy for singles to drift into and out of without the structure, expense and commitment of tennis, and clubs are always in need of organizers. Also kayak clubs. Nature preservancies, zoos, arts need volunteers.

Research points to organized religion being of growing importance as you age, as a connection socially. Unitarianism is comfortable for Liberals. If you were an overseas do gooder, and you are not bothered by Catholics, you could live in Ave Maria and do mission type work at Immokalee nearby. A kooky spiritualist might look at Cassadagua.

Politics of your choice is a fantastic way to meet a ton of similarly minded people.

Other culturally diverse locations would be urban Sarasota,
Matlache, Key West, Miami, Tampa, West Palm Beach

Thanks for the list.

In terms of 80+, do you really expect to live in such a community for more than 15-20 years? Once we reach early 80s we plan to move to more of a CCRC independent living type situation. Even more blue-haireds there but we’ll be blue-haired too if we make it that long!
We’re attempting to find a forever home so we wouldn’t hope to move when we’re 80+, but we realize it might happen that way. There are definitely some older 55+ communities where the median age is closer to 80 than 60 so it does happen.

I am NOT suggesting there’s a right answer for everyone. Obviously there are lots of 55+ communities with happy residents. But that doesn’t mean it’s for everyone, or that those of us who prefer mixed generation neighborhoods are wrong and shouldn’t share a different POV.

Last edited:
It's sad, isn't it?

Children love to see other children. Teens seek out other teens. Middle-aged people like to have others nearby.

But many old people don't want to be surrounded by their own kind. It's a feeling that I see in many retirement threads, especially city-data (where many of those "grouches" someone mentioned like to hang out).

'
we don't want to end up in a community where the median age is 80+ even if we're 80+.
[/LIST]

+2
Have a wide range of friends and co-workers and business associates. Maybe it's a coincidence but the only ones who moved and stayed in a 55+ community are all overweight and spend more time in front of TV than using any of the community's facilities.

That is another concern. I think I may be talking myself out of this move, with the helpful observations from this thread.. Still going to Ocala, but not sure about the 55 plus unless I can find one that just offers a gate, cement block construction, and a reasonable HOA. Oak Run seems like such a place but lately there has been a glut of homes from there going on the market so I'm wondering why.

Almost everybody I met in The Villages was overweight, including both of my hosts. They go everywhere in the golf cart. Even the ones at the "fitness center" I couldn't get a machine at. How did they get there? Parking lot full of golf carts. It was a mile away from where I was staying. My hosts were puzzled that I would attempt to walk there. Pair that with the eating out with cocktails several times a week at chain-like high fat/carb places. They say "active adult" but except for golf that's not what I saw. A non-conforming lifestyle would probably not fit in socially.

Golf with carts isn't much exercise at all.

We just walked a local course here....it is built into a mountainside..an engineering feat with great water views! We also walk in FL but the courses there are mostly flat. Here we are required to use caddies....I tend to use them as private language coaches while we walk.

Golf with carts isn't much exercise at all.

We just walked a local course here....it is built into a mountainside..an engineering feat with great water views! We also walk in FL but the courses there are mostly flat. Here we are required to use caddies....I tend to use them as private language coaches while we walk.
Depends on the course and the player(s), but you walk about three times as far walking as riding in a cart. Using a cart still involved about 2 miles walking, better than nothing. And elevation changes factor in too, e.g. the front nine on my regular course is pretty flat but the back nine has lots of steep hills - some you have to traverse.

Attachments

• Golf Walk.jpg
    Golf Walk.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 49
I am NOT suggesting there’s a right answer for everyone. Obviously there are lots of 55+ communities with happy residents. But that doesn’t mean it’s for everyone, or that those of us who prefer mixed generation neighborhoods are wrong and shouldn’t share a different POV.

I live in a mixed generation subdivision built in the '70s. Back then, these were homes that middle-class folks could reasonably want to raise a family in. By modern standards, these houses are now considered too small (most middle-class family-dreamers want 2,000 sq ft or more, a view I can sympathize with if I wanted to co-habit with a bunch of humans).

I'm surprised how few subdivisions like mine are being built these days. Maybe it's a function of the area in which I live, which skews toward older folks, but most new development today seems to be all about the amenities (clubhouse, community pool, tennis/pickle-ball, etc.) The real estate ads say, "The amenities you want ...", but what if you don't want any amenities except community green space :confused: ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom