6 month FIRE anniversary, interesting times

Keever1

Confused about dryer sheets
I write this because, prior to my own FIRE, I searched for stories/details of what happens after one pulls the trigger. After 4 years of consideration I pulled the plug on high stress Silicon Valley (I live in middle US) job and retired at 60. Firstly, many who said I would be bored or unfulfilled without the daily challenges of my job we’re not correct. Like anyone largely defined by their careers for 40 years, the first couple months were challenging. I gave myself 3 months to “find” my newself and reset my compass. I had set up somewhat of a unique financial approach to my first 5 years of retirement, so I set that system into motion. My initial goal was to reduce my taxable income to ~$62K which would represent a much lighter tax burden (12% vs 10 years of AMT) and be within the range to qualify for ACA to supplement a high percentage of my healthcare payment until I reach 65. I had saved several hundred thousand post tax dollars over 4 years that I can judiciously supplement my income with minimal tax implications (have post tax money in CDs and short term funds that keep pace with inflation.) Importantly, our house is paid for, we carry almost 0 debt, and our property taxes are low. After 62, when I will take early social security, we’ll alter our plan and pull the levers on many more investments to increase our cash flow to an appropriate level. My wife and I both believe retirement is focused on the years between 60 and 75 when the physical and emotional you has the desire and stamina required for a full life. I’m sure there are many alternative financial plans and arguments for or against our plan, but it’s working and I’m sleeping at night.

During my career I traveled 50% of the time internationally, the last 4 years I accrued many miles and hotel rewards so was able to take an extended 5 week trip to Asia to make a final visit to many ex colleagues and friends at a minimal co$t, I used this time to help further sort and outline my next personal steps. I would highly recommend banking on a little “me” time somewhere in the middle of your first 6 months retirement.

So on this 6 month FIRE anniversary I have no intention or need to return to the work force. I’m enjoying rekindling my love of guitar, gardening, and grandchildren. I spend considerable, enjoyable time monitoring investments and figuring out the balance of spending extra time with my wife and providing the time and space we both need as individuals. Regular sleeping hours and leaving behind the ever present edge of work stress took 4+ months, but it is finally gone. The only reconsideration I would give is time of year to retire. A Midwest autumn retirement means you have 6 months of short days with much of your time spent indoors due to weather and temps, pulling the trigger late March or April probably a better idea.

Do it. Make the plan a couple years in advance, make sacrifices for early retirement preparation and just do it. I don’t think you’ll ever look back and regret leaving work stress behind; enjoy figuring out your perfect life unencumbered by career responsibilities.

So on this 6 month FIRE anniversary I have no intention or need to return to the work force. I’m enjoying rekindling my love of guitar, gardening, and grandchildren. I spend considerable, enjoyable time monitoring investments and figuring out the balance of spending extra time with my wife and providing the time and space we both need as individuals. Regular sleeping hours and leaving behind the ever present edge of work stress took 4+ months, but it is finally gone. The only reconsideration I would give is time of year to retire. A Midwest autumn retirement means you have 6 months of short days with much of your time spent indoors due to weather and temps, pulling the trigger late March or April probably a better idea.

I could have written this! I retired last August and it was a loooonnnng winter. But, it still beat the heck out of working all winter. ;) I'm enjoying learning the fine art of putzing around. I had big plans to do lots of volunteer work, and just haven't quite gotten around to it. Not sure if I ever will. I'm loving sleeping in, reading, re-learning to play the piano, exercising more and being more spontaneous. I spend more time learning about investing and fiddling with our portfolio than I expected.

Congrats to you! Thanks for sharing your experiences. Nice to know I'm in such good company.

Thoughtful and intuitive. Your post makes me :). The sun shines brighter and brighter, everyday (provided health holds up). Even cloudy days are sunny. Freezing winter days are warm, b/c you get to stay home all day if you want to, read, Netflix, ER forum, drink tea, write.

Boredom? No way. The yellow brick road just gets extended.

3 months in (ER'd early Jan 19), and similar experiences so far- down to ex-Silicon Valley living in the Midwest as well.

It's taken me the 3 full months to even BEGIN to decompress, but getting there.

No major travel yet, but planning a two-week safari to Tanzania for later this year - also using some of those many frequent flyer miles accumulated over decades of w*rk.

Planning the trip has been stressful, as I really wanted to go in 2019 and was also trying to get things booked before our preferred lodges and camps booked up - which they usually do up to a year in advance. (And, as I found out, an African safari is by far one of the hardest trips to plan). Also have had a recurring medical issue that just won't go away, so spending lots of time with Dr's and PT. Lastly, I need to get the yearly taxes completed - and it's going to be brutal this year. Once I get through all that, it should be clear sailing ahead..

Last edited:
OP has a great point on time of year to retire, also. I originally wanted to leave at the end of Aug 18 and the company convinced me to stay through early Jan. I did think about it at the time and realized Jan wouldn't be ideal, but ER'ing in winter is TOUGH for all the obvious reasons. Just being cooped up in the house most of the time has a big impact on your mental well being. I did try to get out from time to time, but it's much different slogging through the snow, ice and frigid temps to do something than it is being able to do something outside in the spring, summer or even fall..

Congratulations. Great post

The good thing about FIREing in winter, though, is that you have time to do all those inside projects you knew you had to do upon retirement. Get any last paperwork finalized, throw away TONS of no-longer-needed paper (all those handouts on retirement, for example), go through closets for work clothes, rearrange your online address books, start contacting friends about getting together, housework (not a dread word at all, but a satisfying accomplishment when you aren't frantic about getting ready for work the next week), researching any new purchases. Then you start the good weather with a freshly cleaned house, inbox, and mind!

Six months of FIRE made me realize that this was it. FIRED for good, never looked back.

Seven years on we have a higher net worth, better health, happier, and so much more freedom.

20 months for me. Feeling great and looking forward to every day.

Thanks much for sharing that, Keever1! I'm cutting the cord early this summer at age 57. DH cut it a couple years ago at about that age. We have similar plans involving using post-tax dollars to keep our income in the 12% tax bracket.

I've been a little anxious about not having a sense of purpose, went through a round of OMYS, but lately I've been feeling young again thinking about how in my teens and 20s I felt fulfilled by simple things --just hanging out with people, going for a bike ride, reading, detailing the car, relaxing at a local beach with beer, cooking a big pot of soup, etc. I'm hoping the coming summer weather will get me off to a good start. Our summer here in the PNW typically starts on July 5th, and that's about the time I plan to cut loose.

Ah...thanks for sharing, Keever1. It's always nice to read these types of posts. I also think it *might* help those that are stuck on the OMY train.

Thoughtful and intuitive. Your post makes me :). The sun shines brighter and brighter, everyday (provided health holds up). Even cloudy days are sunny. Freezing winter days are warm, b/c you get to stay home all day if you want to, read, Netflix, ER forum, drink tea, write.

Boredom? No way. The yellow brick road just gets extended.

x1000 Rianne! Rare is the day when I am just "miserable." If it's raining and just BLAH out, it only takes about 2 seconds to remind myself that I get to stay home and not deal with it all. It's really just a fantastic way to live. This time of year is really great...the weather is fantastic and working in the yard is quite enjoyable. When one has to w*rk, all the things to do in the yard just become chores to be done during weekends that are almost always too short.

Congratulations and I also love the other posters comments.

I'm 27 months in and just couldn't agree more!

Love this comment from the OP:
"leaving behind the ever present edge of work stress "
So true.....i didn't even have a job that was that stressful, but it constantly was part of me wherever I went. However, you never really realize it until you're away from it. I'm so grateful and happy for everyone else in this community as well.

Thanks to everyone for sharing. It is almost exactly 9 months for me. I thought after I retired I would take a break from thinking about part time work for 6 months, then perhaps see if anything might interest me. But... I am finding more and more I have absolutely no motivation to look for paying work. Even though I loved much of my job, had little stress, and the industry (IT) was also like a hobby to me, I do not have any desire for going back to the workforce.

I am surprised at how many colleagues have queried my interest for full time commuting jobs... HA!

I am having no problem keeping busy, in fact I am a little behind on the things that interest me. I have looked into volunteering, but have not done much with it.

Being able to wake up every day and decide what to do, and then not be concerned at the end of the day if everything did not get done, is a great feeling

I'm at six months too and doing great. I had some startup jitters the first 3 months, but those are long gone. Mostly just logistical challenges.

Some said, "Joe, around March you'll be calling back to return to work."

NOPE! No desire at all to go back. The work life is getting fuzzier and fuzzier by the day.

My initial goal was to reduce my taxable income to ~$62K which would represent a much lighter tax burden (12% vs 10 years of AMT) and be within the range to qualify for ACA to supplement a high percentage of my healthcare payment until I reach 65....... After 62, when I will take early social security, we’ll alter our plan and pull the levers on many more investments to increase our cash flow to an appropriate level.

If you had more cash would you try to get the ACA subsidy and hold off on SS until medicare?

Response to all the GREAT replies and questions

It’s so great to hear from so many kindred spirits and the reinforcement of your experiences- THANK YOU! For many of you i’d Love to get together and talk, over a glass of wine at 10AM ;) Yes, because we can. To me the spirit of this group is don’t doubt your well intended preparations for FIRE, every bungee jump depends upon the first leap into the abyss, 99.9 % of the time it’s going to work and your efforts will be rewarded. Even if you need to stretch a bit financially I doubt that anyone FIREd will regret a single moment of time they have regained in a stress free life. To the question of finance,ACA and holding off on SS until Medicare, no, I wouldn’t hold off. Both my wife and I did computations on increased benefits in later years vs NPV for taking present day (early SS) benefits. The crossover benefit advantage age was 11+ yearrs so we concentrated on what the value was to our required (disposable) spend in that all important 60 to 75 year window. The driving force behind our decisions is that life doesn’t change in a month, a year, or a day, it’s a mere second. The phone rings, and we’ll, you know the rest. We’re going to live life at the maximum level until the call comes while still being prepared for the potential of a long life. I’m just so happy at the way this is all shaping up, my conservative numbers didn’t lie and with live ammo things are turning out as expected. Ahhh serenity

I think this is my first post here, I just had to say "Me too!". DH and I retired six months ago after an unexpected layoff. Also early 60's, no debt, money in the bank. We decided to postpone SS until 70 and live off our small pensions and withdrawals from 401k plans. But your excellent point about taking the most income during your best years is making me rethink that. We are also minimizing income now so that we can get ACA subsidies. Thanks for the update!

I could have written this! I retired last August and it was a loooonnnng winter. But, it still beat the heck out of working all winter. ;) I'm enjoying learning the fine art of putzing around. I had big plans to do lots of volunteer work, and just haven't quite gotten around to it. Not sure if I ever will. I'm loving sleeping in, reading, re-learning to play the piano, exercising more and being more spontaneous. I spend more time learning about investing and fiddling with our portfolio than I expected.

Congrats to you! Thanks for sharing your experiences. Nice to know I'm in such good company.

Well..... my plan is to retire Nov\Dec of this year. I have thought about retirement beginning as we head into a New England winter however, avoiding the cold winter commutes to work brings some comforting thoughts.

Personally I think the risk of missing out on one's most active and healthiest years doesn't receive enough attention. At 60, maintaining the ability to live the way I want for the next 15 years or so is as important as any other planning variable. I can't imagine the market tanking and I have to significantly cut back spending during those years until when (or if) the market recovers. The numbers work well for me so that I can minimize sequence of return risk by limiting equity exposure to no more than 30%.

Thank you! I have 123 days to go until I can retire at 55 and the reality is starting to scare me. I've been working 31 years for the same employer and I will miss the friendship and culture. I've hated the work for the last 15 years and really want to have time and energy for the many hobbies I love. I've been focusing the last five years on building up my outside identity and activities in preparation but it is still scary. Your posts encourage me to go for it!

Personally I think the risk of missing out on one's most active and healthiest years doesn't receive enough attention.

Another poster in an earlier thread wrote "this year will be the healthiest remaining year you have left". That really hit home for DW and I.

Great example - I've been a Genesis fan since the 70s. Phil Collins is as many of you probably know, the lead signer and drummer. He's 68 now, and looks 90+. Just saw a YouTube of him during a solo tour at the end of 2018 - walked onto stage (barely) using a cane and had a pretty hard time of even that. Can't stand up any longer to perform - yet is still performing (why? He's worth an estimated $250M) SITTING in a chair for most of the concert. Can no longer even play the drums due to health issues - and he was arguably one of the greatest drummers of the past 40 years. Sad to see, really - but here's the kicker..we saw Genesis roughly 10 years ago in concert, and he was bouncing around on stage as he always did, even doing a tambourine jig he was somewhat known for..so, even in the span of 10 short years, your health can go to total crap..something to think about for anyone out there (like I was until last year) doing the OMY thing..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom