60 yrs old, gave notice 2 hours ago!

Why relocate?

If you like your house and your location enjoy them!

That's a good point - you already live in the "best place on earth" (that's my personal opinion only, though :D)

The OP's numbers look good. He's set to go.

I want to point out something though.

... Here's the hard numbers:
  • About 2.2 million in taxable (401K) accounts. 300k in non-taxable funds. So, 2.5 million total.

The convention is to call 401k and IRA "tax-deferred" accounts. Some even call them "non-taxable", but the "tax-deferred" term is more appropriate. Only Roth accounts are truly "non-taxable".

The term "taxable account" is reserved for after-tax accounts, where the dividends and capital gains are taxed in the year that they are received, but of course the principal is not taxed as with an IRA or 401k withdrawal.

It does sound backwards because a $1 in an IRA or 401k is not worth as much as $1 in an after-tax "taxable" account, but the above terminology is the convention.

Wanted to say thanks to all for your encouraging words and taking the time to scan our figures. I'm emotionally up and down right now having jumped off the cliff; it's one thing to think about it and another to do it. The Big Boss where I work said they'd hire me back in a heartbeat, which I thought was awfully nice. And I can do contract work later if I desire.

Wanted to say thanks to all for your encouraging words and taking the time to scan our figures. I'm emotionally up and down right now having jumped off the cliff; it's one thing to think about it and another to do it. The Big Boss where I work said they'd hire me back in a heartbeat, which I thought was awfully nice. And I can do contract work later if I desire.

Good idea to maintain that option, I think. I've done a bit of consulting work since FIRE 2+ years ago, and have enjoyed it.

Kick back and have fun!

looks to me that you could do better on the SS with your DW taking a spousal at FRA...I'd run that number ...

+1
OP - you can pay about $45 to get software to run the options regarding SS, as I agree with above poster, due to the vast difference in your SS. Probably you wife taking it at an age earlier than 65 will result in more money.
I also think you taking it at 70 is the smart choice, to provide the large SS payments.

However, these software firms run 100's of possible situations to get the best choice.

Back
Top Bottom