61 & retired from admin (secretary) job

American-Canadian

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hi, I'm so happy to be retired now for a year. Although I didn't dislike secretarial work I'm glad to be done with it -- 38 years of full-time work is enough. I just never had the drive or the desire to go to college.

I feel fairly confident retiring -- I have health care through my retired husband and he receives a small pension. I think my work peers wondered how I was able to pull it off when I turned in my notice.

Although I do NOT have a pension, I'm glad I had the sense to save in IRAs and 401ks for the last 30 years. Those investments along with the $1,100/mth Social Security starting in the new year should carry me through. My small house in a mid-size city is paid for (30 yr mortgage paid off in 14 years).

We have money for a few vacations a year but love staying home too.

Thank you all for your helpful posts -- I've been reading them for years.

One of the best perks of being retired is how I look forward to the mornings now -- getting up when I feel like it, enjoying a long, leisurely breakfast with my newspapers and coffee without having to hurry to get ready for work -- it's every bit as enjoyable as I dreamed it would be.

Congratulations and welcome to the board. Tell us a little about yourself.

One of the best perks of being retired is how I look forward to the mornings now -- getting up when I feel like it, enjoying a long, leisurely breakfast with my newspapers and coffee without having to hurry to get ready for work -- it's every bit as enjoyable as I dreamed it would be.
After 10 years, I can only say it get better with time. Hope yours does too.

Congratulations.

I too started out on the secretarial route and did so for many years while working at a university. It was work I enjoyed and afforded me the chance to complete my degree tuition free whereupon I continued to progress up the ranks a little. I have 22 months to go before I too can start enjoying my mornings. I am sooooo looking forward to it.

Welcome, Am-Can!

Hope to see more postings from you here on some of those glorious mornings.

omni

Hello and welcome. I am not yet retired but right now am thinking "three more years", when I will be 60. I, too, look forward to a time when every morning is relaxed and unhurried and I can finish my small pot of coffee at leisure.

Welcome and congratulations AC! You are clearly delighting in retirement and you so deserve it. I've been privileged to work with some excellent secretaries over the years and know that a great secretary is a kingpin of a great team. But you're finished with all that now! :LOL:

Welcome! It sounds like you put many long years in the work place, now it is time for you to have a leisure life.

Back
Top Bottom