63, retired, not taking SS yet, do I need to inform SSA?

fh2000

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am 63 and have not claimed benefit yet. Both DW and I plan to wait until 70. Meanwhile, do I need to inform SSA my intention? My guess is not, but thought I ask.

No.

If one of you will get considerably more than the other & that person is older, you may well want to look at the payout of the lesser amount person taking benefit at FRA instead. Survivor gets higher amount anyway in that case.

The simple answer is "no". I'm same age but plan on taking ss at 65. Plan on contacting SSA 6 months bf my birthday.

I am 63 and have not claimed benefit yet. Both DW and I plan to wait until 70. Meanwhile, do I need to inform SSA my intention? My guess is not, but thought I ask.

No on Social Security, but don't forget to apply for Medicare at 65 or a few months before age 65. If you are on Social Security at 65, you are automatically enrolled in Medicare.

Brings up an additional question. We may not be on SS at 65. We have to sign up for Medicare. I assume we'll pay Medicare out of pocket. When we turn 66.5, do they take it out of SS? Do you have to request it?

Last edited:
Brings up an additional question. We may not be on SS at 65. We have to sign up for Medicare. I assume we'll pay Medicare out of pocket. When we turn 66.5, do they take it out of SS? Do you have to request it?
Yup. Right now you'll pay Medicare, once you start Social Security they'll automatically withhold the premiums from your pension.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom