70s music explosion

audreyh1 said:
Was "Feelings" in the 70s?

Yep - 1975! Gag me! Yeeeech :dead:

Very close second - "Muskrat Love", Captain and Tennille - 1977 or thereabouts. I think I'd strangle myself if I heard it again.

Audrey

We went on a cruise once and Captain and Tennille performed. Tennile actually told a story of how she sang 'Muskrat Love' at the Nixon Whitehouse. she said that she looked at Henry Kissinger and he looked very embarrassed to even be there! :D

Honey - by Bobby Goldsboro (it was 1968, but that's close enough to the 70s).

What's the line about the 60's?  If you remember it, you weren't there.... :)

How about "Disco Duck?"

And I'm ashamed to admit it, but has anyone else found themselves transfixed by that stupid commercial? I just have to watch it when it comes on...

I agree: "Disco Duck"

I hated the 70's disco songs in the 70's but now I like to hear them occasionally and would dance to them.

The other songs like those by Neil Diamond and the Carpenters were part of my childhood so now I just like to hear them for the memories but there was a time in my 20's and thirties when I found them insufferable.

But I still don't like "Disco Duck".

cube_rat said:
Do you folks see a common theme in the 70's music? What a horny era!

In retrospect, though, how refreshingly open they could be in those post-penicillin, pre-HIV days. "Voulez-vous coucher avec moi, ce soir?"

Since looking for bad songs in the 70's is kind of like shooting fish in a barrel, maybe a more challenging question would be, what were your favorite groups/songs in the 70's?

I'll start out with Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, Sex Pistols, Gary Numan, David Bowie, B-52s, The Kinks, Elvis Costello, Flying Lizards, Tangerine Dream. Couldn't stand disco at the time, but now think it is great (Sylvester, "You make me feel mighty real"). Loved Supertramp as a teen-ager, but haven't listened to them since.

Probably a bunch of others if I get on a roll.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Steely Dan was not just one guy! :LOL:

Neither was David Bowie. ;)

I didn't mention some of the great 70's jazz: Chick Corea and Return to Forever, Stanley Clarke, Billy Cobham, Pat Metheny, Keith Jarrett.

bpp said:
In retrospect, though, how refreshingly open they could be in those post-penicillin, pre-HIV days. "Voulez-vous coucher avec moi, ce soir?"

Since looking for bad songs in the 70's is kind of like shooting fish in a barrel, maybe a more challenging question would be, what were your favorite groups/songs in the 70's?

I'll start out with Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, Sex Pistols, Gary Numan, David Bowie, B-52s, The Kinks, Elvis Costello, Flying Lizards, Tangerine Dream. Couldn't stand disco at the time, but now think it is great (Sylvester, "You make me feel mighty real"). Loved Supertramp as a teen-ager, but haven't listened to them since.

Probably a bunch of others if I get on a roll.

:LOL: :LOL:

We have the same taste:

Led Zepplin, The Who, Pink Floyd (great listening after a nice fatty), Lynrd Skynrd, Journey (wasn't Journey 80's:confused:), Sex Pistols, The Runaways, SAntana, War, Styx, Lou Reed, the list is endless....

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
"The pina colada song".
Oh! Aaaack! :dead: I'd forgotten all about that horrible song. And I still have the tune in my head (and some of the awful lyrics too) - EEEeeeek!

Man - some of these 70s songs get the prizes for sappy!

Audrey

audreyh1 said:
Oh! Aaaack! :dead: I'd forgotten all about that horrible song. And I still have the tune in my head (and some of the awful lyrics too) - EEEeeeek!

Here, this will clear that song out of your head: "Don't go breaking my heart," by Elton John and Kiki Dee.

You're welcome. >:D

Goodness, I'm away for a few days and now I've got more awful songs in my head than I know what to do with!  I just can't quit thinking about Henry Kissinger listening to Tenille sing Muskrat Love... in the White House.  It's surreal.

Here's one that always made me queasy...

I'd Really Like to See You Tonight by England Dan and John Ford Coley ("I'm not talkin bout movin in, and I don't want to change your life, but the warm wind's blowin the stars around, and I'd really like to see you tonight...")  :p  :p  :p

I owned 45's (remember those?) of many of the songs mentioned. My friend and I would go to the mall every Friday and buy 3 new 45's each... I think they were 99 cents each... When 45's went out of style I transferred them all to cassette tapes for posterity. Too bad I don't even have a tape deck anymore.... :'(

I remember recording some great stuff off the radio in my teens.. the tapes are unlistenable now.. though they were just sitting in a drawer, they had all degraded/de-magnetized.

Speaking of both '70s music AND going through "crap"..
I recently came across a John Travolta 45 of "Let Her In". (!!)  :eek:

I'm thinking "E-bay"...

ladelfina said:
Speaking of both '70s music AND going through "crap"..
I recently came across a John Travolta 45 of "Let Her In". (!!) :eek:

Is that the Paul McCartney tune?

Reminds me that my favorite tune from John Lennon's Plastic Ono Band album was "How Do You Sleep?" Nasty, b1tchy song that even Lennon later disowned, but man it was great, even to a kid who didn't know who it was about.

(Being the hippie kid that I was, I assumed it was about Nixon or LBJ or something.)

cube_rat said:
:LOL: :LOL:

We have the same taste:

Led Zepplin, The Who, Pink Floyd (great listening after a nice fatty), Lynrd Skynrd,  Journey (wasn't Journey 80's:confused:), Sex Pistols, The Runaways,  SAntana, War, Styx, Lou Reed, the list is endless....

one of the styx guys is one of my newer neighbors. he's doing a gorgeous job on his house. met him while i was touring area damage after wilma. didn't know who i was talking to, just some guy who moved here from chicago. then he turned up at my other neighbor's xmas party and we chatted some more. later another neighbor told me who he was. you just never know who you're talking to.

Attachments

• whoisit.jpg
    whoisit.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 56
I just found out the woman who sings " The Night the lights went out in Georgia" was momma on Momma's family. VH1 70s round 2 was on last night  :p

Is that Robert Plant?

Yep, that was "Mama", Vicki Lawrence! "Mama's Family" was one of my favorite shows, especially the old NBC episodes. I always thought it would be cool to see Vicki sing that song while in Mama drag. Did she ever sing anything else, or was she a one-hit wonder?

Andre1969 said:
Yep, that was "Mama", Vicki Lawrence!  "Mama's Family" was one of my favorite shows, especially the old NBC episodes.  I always thought it would be cool to see Vicki sing that song while in Mama drag.  Did she ever sing anything else, or was she a one-hit wonder?

Pretty sure it was a 1 hit wonder. Went to number 1 I think too.

My husband just got home.
"How could you not recognize?!"
"Especially the second one with the eyeglasses pulled down !!"

Apparently it was a kind of test for me..
I was supposed to know right away that it is Keith Emerson.

Now I am supposed to be embarassed, as I have made a "brutta figura"!  :-[

ladelfina said:
My husband just got home.
"How could you not recognize?!"
"Especially the second one with the eyeglasses pulled down !!"

Apparently it was a kind of test for me..
I was supposed to know right away that it is Keith Emerson.

Now I am supposed to be embarassed, as I have made a "brutta figura"!  :-[

Thats ok I thought it was Robert Plant...hehe

saw the ringo starr al star band friday...what a great performance...ringo still cant sing or play drums but what talent he had in the band....edgar winter,,shiela e,, hamish stewart from average white band and a fellow from the zombies

Jut saw the Beach Boys last night. What a great show they put on. Sang & danced, the whole place looked like several thousand people doing karaoke at the same time.

Oh wait, that was the 60s

Back
Top Bottom