$764,000,000,000...Will you get your cut this year?

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
As far as I know I am not in line for any of that loot. Of course, I could have an unknown rich uncle who may leave me a bit. But it is not part of my Retirement Plan at this time.
Americans are projected to inherit $764 billion this year and will pay an average tax of just 2.1% on that income, New York University law professor Lily Batchelder estimates in a paper published by the Brookings Institution.
https://www.financial-planning.com/...4lq6SSUq2YVqx2GPRjx4SyHEA&bt_ts=1581440432400

"Americans are projected to inherit $764 billion this year and will pay an average tax of just 2.1% on that income, New York University law professor Lily Batchelder estimates in a paper published by the Brookings Institution."

That money has already been taxed at least once, and in some cases multiple times. "Just 2.1%" is 2.1% more than it should be taxed.

Just my 2.1 cents worth!

VW

"Americans are projected to inherit $764 billion this year and will pay an average tax of just 2.1% on that income, New York University law professor Lily Batchelder estimates in a paper published by the Brookings Institution."

That money has already been taxed at least once, and in some cases multiple times. "Just 2.1%" is 2.1% more than it should be taxed.

Just my 2.1 cents worth!

VW
My first reaction as well.

. . .
That money has already been taxed at least once . . .
Not if it is unrealized gains. And the basis will step up, so it never will be taxed.

Same here. Only living "parent" I have is a step-mother (age 86) who had no siblings and no children. But because of a strained relationship with my father who has been deceased since 1993 (age 56!), I last saw the two of them in 1978.

It's been a while, but IIRC, DW and I (including both sets of parents) netted a bit less than $3K total inheritance - but no taxes! YMMV

I will never get a cut of anything

DM's health keeps spiraling down, although she keeps hanging on. But if she slips away, her modest estate is to be split among her five kids. I expect: 1) to disclaim my share in favor of my penniless siblings; 2) none of them will say thanks.

It surprised me that my brothers and sisters have all drifted apart, since we were raised as a pretty close family. For a variety of reasons our paths diverged and now we are almost strangers. But whatever $$ our mother leaves, they'll need it more than I do.

Of course, if my parents were leaving us 100 million instead of closer to 100 thousand, let's be honest here: I'd be scooping that twenty percent into my own coffers with green-eyed glee. I'm only noble when it doesn't mean much.

I got my chunk of it back in 2017/2018, when Dad passed away. He was kind of antisocial, and never really had a high income. But, he never had much in the way of big expenses either, so he amassed more than I thought he would.

There were no taxes, as I recall, only the probate fee, which was a few hundred bucks. I do seem to recall there was a few thousand $ worth of stock in some account with Deutsche Bank, or someone like that, where I had to calculate the value of the stock on the day of his death, and the value of it on the day the account was liquidated, and report any capital gain/loss that Dad's estate would be liable for. It was a small gain though, so was not considered taxable. Most of his other holdings were just CDs, MMAs, savings/checking, etc. Conservative holdings that whatever interest they threw off was taxed in that given year.

Dad did have a life insurance policy, so I got that tax free. And he had another account, a Thrift Savings Plan, I think, that I was able to roll over into a stretch IRA. So I do pay taxes on the RMDs every year, but it's not much.

Perhaps this refers to IRA/401(k) $.

A bequest in a tIRA or 401k has not "already been taxed at least once". It was put into the account pretax. It will be taxed as it is withdrawn in accordance with the RMD rules for inherited accounts, but that is the first time it will be taxed, and properly so.

I am afraid I well might get some in 2020, as the health issues are piling up for my 95-year-old father (two different cancers, albeit both are slow growing). :(

I hope I don't though! His spirits are still good and he is mentally sharp as a tack. Whatever is left after EOL care won't be too much - certainly not life changing

Just my 2.1 cents worth!

VW

+1

My dear mother is in her 90s and in pretty good shape--living in an independent living apartment in a CCRC (Continuing Care Retirement Community). I will probably get an inheritance from her but I would trade that inheritance if she could live forever! Of course that it is not going to happen. It will be a very sad day for me when I receive that inheritance.

Just from the quote it is a hit piece...

It is NOT income... it is inheritance... there might be some money that has not been taxed but to say everything you receive is income is just not correct...

Details like this make a difference in how good or bad something sounds...

Back
Top Bottom