8 Things To Stop Doing After 60

This one really hit home for me. I've come to realize that many of my friends from years and years ago I would never befriend nowadays, if we were to just meet each other.

It puts a new perspective on whether or not one should move to a different state. "But all my friends are here", is not such an important argument for staying in place once you realize the main reason you hang out with them is because you've always done so.

Agree. We moved to Florida without knowing anyone in our area and it has worked out great.
No contacts for me with any prior work friends and have unofficially ended my male best friend relationship due to his extreme political statements.

Don't know about others, but with me it's largely a been a competitive thing (with a dash of perfectionism). Not exactly emotionally healthy, but sometimes these unhealthy qualities serve a purpose at certain phases of life. For me, it resulted in the motivation, perseverance, discipline, focus, work ethic and sheer will to overcome extremely long odds in a very challenging early life.

Perhaps I do not see a connection between "putting oneself down" and being competitive. While there have certainly been situations where I felt "right now I might not be competitive", it went hand in hand with "but I have the confidence I have what it takes to get competitive", and then follow through as necessary.

I see "putting oneself down" more closely aligning with depression... e.g. those who feel, regardless of what they have, that they do not deserve it, they are phonies, they will be found out, things look hopeless, frozen into inaction, will not even try, etc.

...and have unofficially ended my male best friend relationship due to his extreme political statements.

Sadly, I'm almost at that point with my best buddy, and for the same reasons.

Sadly, I'm almost at that point with my best buddy, and for the same reasons.

Crazy huh? At least for me, he lives in Penn, so I would not by chance see him.

Perhaps I do not see a connection between "putting oneself down" and being competitive. While there have certainly been situations where I felt "right now I might not be competitive", it went hand in hand with "but I have the confidence I have what it takes to get competitive", and then follow through as necessary.

I see "putting oneself down" more closely aligning with depression... e.g. those who feel, regardless of what they have, that they do not deserve it, they are phonies, they will be found out, things look hopeless, frozen into inaction, will not even try, etc.

I think we're interpreting the OP's words differently. When I think of putting myself down, I think of being hard on myself, as in, I have to do better, I have to reach that goal, I've got to try harder. Like if I don't achieve something I set out to achieve, I might really beat myself up about it, but then hunker down and recommit to trying harder. I have always pushed myself to go the extra mile, and then when I reach that mile marker, to look to the next mile, and the next [because as soon as I get there it's not good enough].

I suspect you're thinking of something very different, which is fine, no one way to look at it.

Either way, those behaviors served their purpose and got me pretty far in life. I wasn't born with a lot of positive expectations outside my parent. Would have been nice to have been born into a better set of circumstances but I've had to fight my way uphill out of my beginnings. Kinda comes under the heading of "when you got lemons, make lemonade."

Now, I'm proud of how far I've come and I'm working on the enjoy the lemonade part of life. Those old behaviors no longer serve me well.

I was expecting to see something with polesaws and ladders.

Yeah, at 60, I was still doing ladders. But I have quit that (except our handy-dandy 3 step stool.) That's as high as I wanna be. Usually DW steadies it for me.:blush:

Yeah, at 60, I was still doing ladders. But I have quit that (except our handy-dandy 3 step stool.) That's as high as I wanna be. Usually DW steadies it for me.:blush:

Still do ladders, but only inside the house.

I was expecting to see something with polesaws and ladders.
+1. Should be #1 on the list after 60!

I’ve never been afraid of heights, I’ve been 40-50’ up the (moving) masts of sailboats many times. But four years ago at age 65 I went on our roof to clean the gutters on our new house, 12’ elevation in front, 18’ elevation in back. I walked from front to back, with DW uneasy on the ground watching. It gave me serious heebie jeebies just getting near the edge in back and seeing the ground 18’ below me. I walked back to the front and down the ladder without cleaning a single leaf out of the gutter - and I’ll never go up there again. I’ve gladly paid crews to clean our gutters once or twice a year.

I worked with a guy who fell off his one-story roof (went up to clear heavy snow :crazy:), slipped off the ladder and landed on this driveway. Broke his spinal cord. Struggled to even walk forever after despite grueling therapy. Forced to retire at 50, passed away at 59 - alone. Former marathon runner. Completely ruined his life…

Last edited:
Sadly, I had to do the same. I didn't really care what my friend's political views were, but the sheer nastiness of his online posts, relating to candidates, parties, and Presidents, appalled me. It was a side of him I'd never suspected. Sadly, he is gone now.

have unofficially ended my male best friend relationship due to his extreme political statements.

I will only go up stepladders (no extensions), and I'm no longer fearless on them, as I once was (I scare myself thinking about it). I would break too easily now.

I’ve never been afraid of heights, I’ve been 40-50’ up the (moving) masts of sailboats many times. But four years ago at age 65 I went on our roof to clean the gutters on our new house, 12’ elevation in front, 18’ elevation in back. I walked from front to back, with DW uneasy on the ground watching. It gave me serious heebie jeebies just getting near the edge in back and seeing the ground 18’ below me. I walked back to the front and down the ladder without cleaning a single leaf out of the gutter - and I’ll never go up there again. I’ve gladly paid crews to clean our gutters once or twice a year.

I worked with a guy who fell off his one-story roof (went up to clear heavy snow :crazy:), slipped off the ladder and landed on this driveway. Broke his spinal cord. Struggled to even walk forever after despite grueling therapy. Forced to retire at 50, passed away at 59 - alone. Former marathon runner. Completely ruined his life…

Sadly, I had to do the same. I didn't really care what my friend's political views were, but the sheer nastiness of his online posts, relating to candidates, parties, and Presidents, appalled me. It was a side of him I'd never suspected. Sadly, he is gone now.

Same here as to we have friends on both sides and we mainly stay away from these types of discussions.

Yeah, I don't see anything about "stop using chain saws" but we had a guy at w*rk who had one kick back. 187 stitches later, he looked a bit like one of the Freddy Kruger characters. He recovered, but never got rid of the scars. I gave my chain saw away.

In general, I guess we just need to recognize our limitations and act accordingly. YMMV

Gee, I thought the list was going to be more on the order of:

1. No more skydiving
2. No Speedos
3. No pub crawls
4. Don't enlist in the military
5. I had another one, but it could be seen as political.
Oy! I wish I could enforce your #2 at our condo pool!! :eek:

My DH had a close call about 10 years ago. He's never been afraid of heights. And he is a do-it-yourselfer, through and through. He went up on the roof to clean the chimney. But slipped and fell, rolling down the 2nd story roof until he saved himself by grabbing the gutter. He no longer goes up on any 2nd story roofs now.
But he'll still walk around on top of our travel trailer to check out its roof. :facepalm: I really wish he wouldn't!

When I saw the thread title I thought "clickbait". I didn't bother watching the youtube because I prefer text to video. (YMMV).

That said... 4, 5, and 6 are all something I'm probably guilty of. (see there, putting myself down, and worrying about it.)

MY kids are 20 and 22. Hence I worry about them and financially support them since they are both full time students. I hope I'm not oversupporting them - I have their budgets set so they *must* work part time or not be able to pay their rent... And as far as emotional support - the 22 year old is a late bloomer, and still calls to handle stuff he *should* be able to handle on his own. But it's getting better. The 20 year old is highly independent, emotionally.

I guess this is the problem with having kids later in life... I'm over 60 but still dealing with college students.

When I saw the thread title I thought "clickbait". I didn't bother watching the youtube because I prefer text to video. (YMMV).

That said... 4, 5, and 6 are all something I'm probably guilty of. (see there, putting myself down, and worrying about it.)

MY kids are 20 and 22. Hence I worry about them and financially support them since they are both full time students. I hope I'm not oversupporting them - I have their budgets set so they *must* work part time or not be able to pay their rent... And as far as emotional support - the 22 year old is a late bloomer, and still calls to handle stuff he *should* be able to handle on his own. But it's getting better. The 20 year old is highly independent, emotionally.

I guess this is the problem with having kids later in life... I'm over 60 but still dealing with college students.

Ah, yes. Our last kid entered College when we were 60. She did the FAFSA thing, got scholarships, grants and loans, moved in with her older sister and we moved to Hawaii. We told her to let us know if she needed anything. She rarely did. We raised our kids to be independent and it w*rked. Subsequently, we helped pay off her school loans.

This is a pretty good list. I will soon be 60

Stop saving - stopped working for now, maybe forever. So check.
Stop (discretionary) spending on things that don’t bring you joy. I’d give myself 3.5 out of 5 on that (5 being full compliance)
Stop pretending (to be someone you aren’t) - 5 out of 5 (for better or worse )
Stop putting yourself down (3.5 out of 5)
Stop worrying (3 out of 5) - some things, mainly adult kids that are hard not to worry about. I should probably stop worrying about money.
Stop over supporting adult children (1 out of 5) - see above - they have some specific issues/ needs
Stop taking your health for granted (4.5 out of 5) - I’ve made tremendous progress on this last 12 months.
Stop taking your time for granted (3 out of 5) - I could be more productive / spending it in more meaningful way.

Back
Top Bottom