A good all around hiking boot/shoe

I have wolverine 6 inch soft toe work boots. I just bought a new pair on sears for 60. with free shipping. the current pair are 3 years old and waterproof. when I am working outside, hiking, walking or doing anything in rough terrain or wet. these are the boots I go to. I also have wolverine hunting boots that are insulated and years old, but they get little use as I have slowed down on hunting since retiring. either are good boots and comfortable.

Another option for very wet areas where you could go through water higher than a hiking boot - Lacrosse boots. I wear them for short hikes (3-5 miles) in the wet natural area near our place. They are comfortable with my orthotics in them.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 7.12.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 7.12.09 AM.png
    129.6 KB · Views: 65
I don't have any favorite brands, I've had comfortable and uncomfortable boots even within the same brand. I think it's best to just try them on before buying. If you have a REI store near you, they have a great return policy - you can return boots for a full refund even if you've hiked in them for a while. I had to do that once - the boots felt fine in the store and around my house but out on the trail they were painful. REI took them back no questions asked.

Thanks for all the great information and experiences. I am heading to a city this morning and will have time to check out all your suggestions. Where I live you are lucky to find a gas station, so maybe I can actually put a pair in my hands and try a pair on.

Thanks

Merrell replaced mine

I blew through a pair of Merrill MOAB2's in just 2 days of mountain hiking in Switzerland this year (24 miles into our 130 mile hike). I had to use duct tape until we got to a "big town". That being said, I'm convinced it was a fluke pair.

I've tried many different hiking boots, and the relatively inexpensive Merrill's fit me. They are light-weight, relatively cool, and very comfortable.

I'm hoping to buy something on black friday for a 100 mile hike on the John Muir coming up in July, but I'll likely end up with the Merrill again!

Something similar happed to my Merrells on the day before our gorilla trek in Rwanda. I ended up wearing my Merrell Jungle Mocs on the trek, and managed just fine.
I sent a message to Merrell about my experience, and they sent me a replacement pair — an upgrade, to boot (pun intended).

I have wide feet and need a hiking boot that will accommodate my orthotics. After a long search, I found the earlier version of the Keen Durand boot works (mine are 7 years old and still going strong) best for me:

https://www.keenfootwear.com/p/M-D...MID-WP_color=1020218&cgid=mens_footwear_boots

I’ve used them in cold, snowy-muddy hikes of ~5 miles, desert treks in hot, sandy-rocky hikes of ~7 miles, and they have been perfect (for me). Because of my unique foot requirements, Keen shoes have been a great find for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom