A Good UPS Backup for Desktop

Actually with todays laptops being about as good as desktops, a laptop with a good battery provides pretty good ups for up to an hour or so and will shut down safely when the battery is low. Now you will also have to change batteries every couple of years on the laptop depending on its use. This of course does not protect internet access, but will keep data safe. (also laptops can use a monitor and keyboard distinct, so you might have to open the laptop in the event of a power failure.

When the PSU went out on my desktop recently and I had to use my laptop, what I missed most of the desktop was the graphics card.

Folks kind of take for granted that the laptop battery already serves as a UPS to keep the computer humming for a while in case of an outage.

I have 2 APC UPS's similar to the one in the picture in the OP. I use them to backup and protect my entertainment center, PC's, and electronic peripherals. Both give me more than enough time to start up my backup generator when needed (which is prewired). It's not unusual for us to have several outages that last 3 to 4 hours each every year. (And a few short (3 to 5 second) drops each month)

They are cheap enough (less than $100 per unit) to just buy new ones when the old ones start to die every 4 or 5 years. Personally, I've been happy with the APC units.

Last edited:
Friend's house got tagged by lightening during a bad storm a couple of years ago. He had just built a really expensive desktop and paid a ton for a UPC (or other name) battery backup/surge protector. That battery backup/surge protector lasted about .005 microseconds as did his computer. All burnt toast.

Warranty on the battery backup/surge protector covered the loss.

Bottom line: don't hang your hat on those things protecting your system if hell breaks loose.

Friend's house got tagged by lightening during a bad storm a couple of years ago. He had just built a really expensive desktop and paid a ton for a UPC (or other name) battery backup/surge protector. That battery backup/surge protector lasted about .005 microseconds as did his computer. All burnt toast.

Bottom line: don't hang your hat on those things protecting your system if hell breaks loose.
Agree that nothing is 100% but so far they have worked well for me. A lot better than nothing so I'll stick with them.

Mostly, I just browse the web and use email on my pc. I only use about 72 watts :).

Though I do see the energy spike up when running a program that uses the graphics card.

Attachments

• powerpanel.jpg
    powerpanel.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

I'm impressed. I thought all those warranties were basically garbage and that you would never be able to collect on them.

I'm impressed. I thought all those warranties were basically garbage and that you would never be able to collect on them.

So did I, but they covered the UPS and his computer. All he had to do was supply receipts, pictures and I believe he shipped the UPS to them.

I'm happy with this one, but haven't had to change the battery yet:

Amazon.com: CyberPower CP1000AVRLCD Intelligent LCD Series UPS 1000VA 600W AVR Mini-Tower: Electronics

currently $110 on Amazon.
It's bee running fine for about 2 1/2 years.

I use this one as well for a backup on my video surveillance system. Works well and will power the system for about an hour. Enough time to get some sneaky robbers who think cutting the power will thwart my attempts at getting their nefarious activities on the DVR. :)

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors. :)

The Cyberpower UPS came in handy yesterday. :)

As the light flickered then the UPS kicked in and switched over to battery. Only for 2 seconds then the power came back. This was not even during a storm.

Back
Top Bottom