A horrible calculation, that I just did and potential decisions

YIKES! What a nightmare!

I have heard of pools popping out from the ground. Hence, when I need to empty the pool, I make sure to do it only when it has not rained for a while. And it rains about 3 or 4 times a year here. And I never have standing water after even a hard rain. That's how gravelly my lot is, being in the foothills.

But, but, but pools floating up when there's water in them to weigh them down? Good grief.

What keeps the houses from sliding around? Maybe they do too. Why hasn't ReWahoo included this hazard in his long lists of reasons not to move to Texas?

The pools do not actually float, do they? I assume it is expansive clay that gets wet and the expands, lifting the pool up out of the ground.

nothing, except maybe a pier and beam foundation

most houses in houston have concrete slabs that are cracked

hill country is different - it's just hot as heck and every bug that bites lives there

You mean most OLD houses have cracked foundations. The newer ones use cable lock technology. My ex's Conroe house, built 1974, had the garage floor drop 3" on one end. I had it jacked up and piers put under it before we sold it.

The pools do not actually float, do they? I assume it is expansive clay that gets wet and the expands, lifting the pool up out of the ground.

It could be.

What I read a long time ago was that in occasions when the soil is saturated, the buoyancy of an empty pool causes it to float up. Perhaps that was the wrong explanation, but it sounded plausible at that time. A 25,000-gal pool when empty will have a buoyancy force of 200,000 lbs if submerged in saturated muddy soil.

You have to cleaning up a checkered credit history can help consumers enhance their credit scores, which in turn can improve their standing in the eyes of lenders and potential employers. It’s best to quickly repair credit scores and pay down outstanding debt.

You mean most OLD houses have cracked foundations. The newer ones use cable lock technology. My ex's Conroe house, built 1974, had the garage floor drop 3" on one end. I had it jacked up and piers put under it before we sold it.

i thought cable lock just stopped the slab from moving after it had been cracked - not to prevent it from cracking?

i've heard of them popping out of the ground - i grew up with a kid who's family ownes a big pool company in htown (he still works there) so I heard a lot of stories about popping out and shifting - not their pools but others

Back
Top Bottom