A Late Life Decision...

@imoldernu must know that there would be many responses to this request, so wonder why no response from him yet?

Beautiful! There is pro's and con's with any deal. If that home would make you two happy go for it. There is always the con's and negatives in everything. I wish you well in your decision.

I look at different ranches and I know I can buy them and still have plenty to live on for the rest of my life. Then I ask myself why do I need more land and another ranch? It would just give me more problems but I also would get much enjoyment from it also.

Good Luck.

It's why I love you guys!

Thank you so much.... I think you have me pegged...

What jeanie really said was "you're not really going to post that are you?"

Am holding on to that lottery ticket just in case.

It was the ping pong table in the basement that really turned me on...

Happy holidays...:flowers:

thank goodness for that, many of us I think were concerned given your other posts.

Thank you so much.... I think you have me pegged... What jeanie really said was "you're not really going to post that are you?"

Whew - that's a relief. :)

I finally looked up Peru, IL on Google Maps. I lived in far NW Chicago for 11 years and never heard of it, which probably makes it a nice place to live. :D

Whew - that's a relief. :)

I finally looked up Peru, IL on Google Maps. I lived in far NW Chicago for 11 years and never heard of it, which probably makes it a nice place to live. :D

Peru (near gorgeous Starved Rock State Park) and the surrounding area is beautiful. The home in the OP’s link is amazing.

Thank you so much.... I think you have me pegged...

What jeanie really said was "you're not really going to post that are you?"

Am holding on to that lottery ticket just in case.

It was the ping pong table in the basement that really turned me on...

Happy holidays...:flowers:

Whew, you sure fooled me! :LOL: I thought you were serious about it.

Peru (near gorgeous Starved Rock State Park) and the surrounding area is beautiful. The home in the OP’s link is amazing.
My uncle took me and his daughter to Starved Rock State Park back in 1961, give or take a couple of years. We had a blast learning to rock climb there and basically burning off our youthful energy. It was gorgeous and my uncle had a lot of stories of the history of that region to tell us.

As for the home, I'm too old to appreciate a huge house like that! Now if I was 30 I'd probably want it, but for me right now it would be too much to handle. I'd rather live in 1/10th the square footage of that place.

Holy Crap, that's a beautiful home, on well manicured grounds, that seems a bit of overkill for folks at your age....what a showplace, and a wonderful place for you grandchildren to explore, and to have big family get-togethers.

However, will you and the DW be able to maintain the level of perfection that is present, or will you be paying/affording a maintenance company to have gardeners on site, and a house keeper to keep things clean ?

I'm glad you came to your senses in not purchasing this palace.

Last edited:
I could get 1/2 of my walking in while looking for,,,,,what was it?

Holy guacamole! What a beautiful house!

Like others have implied however, for me the fantasy of living in a place like that and the reality of the same would never mesh. I would feel burdened by it all.

Good luck on whatever you decide!

Holy guacamole! What a beautiful house!

Like others have implied however, for me the fantasy of living in a place like that and the reality of the same would never mesh. I would feel burdened by it all.

Good luck on whatever you decide!

Yes. Nice places to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

I assume with houses that size that it’s mandatory to hire someone to clean. I couldn’t imagine keeping up a house like that with just me and DW. I guess I could keep up with the yard but would probably need help in the spring and fall to get it going and put it to rest for winter. Basic jobs like painting (inside) I guess would have to be hired out as well. I guess what I’m saying is that beyond the nut to crack to get into a house like that, you need a lot more than just being able to pay the taxes and utilities. It’s an expensive endeavor. Me a DW just did a run through to get the house respectable for tomorrow. Not spring cleaning, but looking good for company. Took a couple hours of pretty easy going labor. That’s about all I’m in for these days. Though those houses are beautiful.

Here is a reality check on bucket lists. I just had an opportunity to pilot a WW2 P-40
at a cost of $2200.
I thought about it for a moment, and realized for the same amount of money, DW and I can fly to Seattle, take a ferry to Friday Harbor, and spend a delightful week in the San Juan Islands. Priceless!
The bottom line is, that while it is a beautiful home, it is totally impractical for you. Your decision to stay in the CCRC was the best one you have made.

It's a beautiful house for sure, but recalling your past posts, your enjoyment of simpler pleasures, and how you managed to live a very nice life on a modest budget - I checked the date of the first post so see if it was an April Fool post.

My second thought was who is going to clean that.

Dead guy buried up to his neck out back would worry me...

I was away for the day and missed the excitement! I will admit to looking back at the OP to see if it was done on April Fool's Day... I wish imoldernu had thought of it 21 days ago.... or perhaps he did and just kept forgetting to post it... we'll never know. :D

I was away for the day and missed the excitement! I will admit to looking back at the OP to see if it was done on April Fool's Day... I wish imoldernu had thought of it 21 days ago.... or perhaps he did and just kept forgetting to post it... we'll never know. :D

He is getting on his age and may have missed the "2" in front of "1" when he looked at the calendar. :hide:

Here is a reality check on bucket lists. I just had an opportunity to pilot a WW2 P-40
at a cost of $2200.
I thought about it for a moment, and realized for the same amount of money, DW and I can fly to Seattle, take a ferry to Friday Harbor, and spend a delightful week in the San Juan Islands. Priceless!
The bottom line is, that while it is a beautiful home, it is totally impractical for you. Your decision to stay in the CCRC was the best one you have made.

This sort of relates to the richness level.

I know because I'm not rich, so I'm currently juggling various trip choices, as they vary from $6K ->$14K. If I was rich I'd do them all.

Back
Top Bottom