A little more good news - ARM "time bomb" defused

why are some people who could qualify for one taking the ARM instead? I can only think of a few possible reasons:
1) "I've got the money to pay the whole thing off, and will do so if rates climb. For now I just want the lowest rate possible." That's reasonable--but if rates take off because of inflation, wouldn't it be best to have a locked-in 5.5% 30 yr mortgage and pay it off slowly with ever-less-valuable dollars?
2) "I like these rock-bottom ARM rates now, and I'll get a fixed rate mortgage if it looks like rates will shoot up." Seems pretty risky--being able to reliably foretell the upcoming interest rates ahead of their climb and betting that cheap long-term $$ will be available as the liquidity "crisis" continues.
3) "I don't want to lock in a 30 yr fixed because I think rates will go down." Maybe so--but there's not much "down" and there's lots of "up" from here.

Those are the reasons that make sense; I'd venture a guess that makes up about 10% of the people who have used ARMs.

The other 90% is made up of:
4) People who are buying more house than they can afford, and can only swing it by taking on a risky ARM loan (they either do this knowingly, or just sign whatever is put in front of them by brokers eager to push the deal through).

Lower interest rates are certainly going to help this out, but other factors are the high rate of un- (or under)emplyment and the reduced asset value of households. I don't think we've dodge this bullet completely yet.

Back
Top Bottom