A month in Europe! (Blow that dough)

We were in Provence last year, as part of a 6-week trip. We visited Avignon some years ago, but last year was a road trip so we could use the car to go see nearby small towns, which were different than the more crowded city of Avignon.

We stayed in L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgues, which was a charming small town enclosed by the river Sorgues, like a much smaller Strasbourg.

You may want to rent a car for a day or two to make day trips. The French country roads were not too bad to navigate. We visited Gordes, Lex Baux-de-Provence, Roussillon, Nimes, etc... The first 3 are French versions of the Italian hilltowns.

Some points of interest: Carrières de Lumières, the ruins of castle in Baux-de-Provence, and Sunday market in L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue. The Sunday market is visited by locals, and attracted tourists from as far as Marseilles.

I did not have time to drive a bit down south to see Saintes Maries de la Mer in the Camargue. I learned of this place from the song Méditerranéenne (French lyrics for an originally Italian song).

^^ NWB, thank you for the recommendations. We are planning to rent a car for a couple of days in Avignon and explore. We will investigate the towns you and audrey1 mentioned and pick a couple to explore. :)

Trust me, the Hofbrauhaus is not what it used to be.

But go around the corner to the Ayinger Wirtshaus. You'll get better weisswurst, much better beer, a similar pretzel, and enjoy it more.

It is worth one beer, however--en masse. When they painted the place, they got rid of great wall murals. The oom-pah band now sits around smoking, and play a song every once in awhile.

We were in Munich 2/2002, a week or so before the U.S. went into Iraq. We were the only North Americans in the Hofbrauhaus one night. In times of world strife, Americans stay at home.

We also love the big Lowenbrau beer hall/restaurant behind the train station about 4-5 blocks on the left. It is a place locals go.

If you are looking for a real Bavarian beer hall, go SW of Munich about 30 minutes to the Andechs Monastery in Andechs. It is the real thing, and boy do The Brothers make some nectar of the gods.

^^ NWB, thank you for the recommendations. We are planning to rent a car for a couple of days in Avignon and explore. We will investigate the towns you and audrey1 mentioned and pick a couple to explore. :)

You have 5 days in Avignon. Surely, you can spend 2 of those days doing day trips. You do not want to miss the other little charming towns. If you plan your itinerary well, can do 2 or 3 of these little towns in a day. Start early in the morning, have lunch in one place, then visit another place and have dinner before heading back. Easy peasy, as the distance is not that great (but you will drive 35 to 40 mph through winding rural and mountain roads). I loved it!

See this post of mine for some photos: http://www.early-retirement.org/for...-today-2017-version-84766-18.html#post1884269.

PS. By the way, it was a 6-week trip, and we wished we spent more time. So many interesting places, so little time.

Last edited:
braumeister, of course you are my official beer guide. I have been to Munich a few times on business. So, I have a rudimentary grasp of the city. I would appreciate beer, wurst and other tips. We are looking forward to the Schweinshaxe. You just can't get enough roasted pig knuckle. On my first trip to Munich (maybe 20 years ago), I was at the Hofbrauhaus when they opened at 9 AM for weisswurst, a pretzel and a liter. I know it is touristy but I may have to relive that memory. :D

The Hofbrauhaus is very photogenic inside. I really enjoyed taking pictures.

We had some awesome schweinshaxe in the keller in Salzburg. You’ll have to stop in Salzburg next time.

We visited the Augustiner-Keller beer garden and I had an absolutely awesome Bavarian duck with my dark beer. And watching those Germans sucking down their beer a liter at a time!

We thought the Nymphenburg on the outskirts of Munich was excellent - in particular the small palaces outside and walking the extensive grounds. It’s a short bus ride from downtown.

Last edited:
If you are looking for a real Bavarian beer hall, go SW of Munich about 30 minutes to the Andechs Monastery in Andechs. It is the real thing, and boy do The Brothers make some nectar of the gods.
We didn’t have time to do that, and boy I really wanted to.

Next time!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. We will make sure to get out to some of the smaller towns. The budget for miscellaneous items will be increased. There are a few wine tours, day train trips and car rentals we will need to add. Your help and recommendations are appreciated! :)

Just wondering if you looked at tripmasters.com? We just booked an Italian vacation through there site and were very surprised at the total cost. For us it was cheaper than getting everything separate.

Just wondering if you looked at tripmasters.com? We just booked an Italian vacation through there site and were very surprised at the total cost. For us it was cheaper than getting everything separate.

Thanks. I will take a look. To late at this point since the airfare, trains and rooms are all booked. But it might be something to consider for our next trip.

I just entered our trip on tripmaster.com. For the air, train and hotels, their total was about $850 less than my totals. This included 3 star hotels and they have an option to upgrade to 4 or 5 star. It is an easy to use site and cut way down on the research. I have spent a number of days looking for airbnb/hotels, flights and general research. It is a personal item, but we really like to have a kitchen particularly for longer trips. So the Airbnb or VRBO is our preference.

So for those looking to simply trip plans at a good cost, this looks like a good tool. I have not checked them out other than Darrrinmy's experience.

Miscellaneous Barcelona ideas:
A couple of tapas/pintxos bar recommendation:
+1 to El Xampanyet and also Euskal Etxea near the Picasso Museum
Tapas 24.
We also like this hole in the wall in the El Raval neighbourhood called Pollo Rico but it may be closed. Also recommend walking around El Ravel which was a kind of a sketchy neighbourhood east of Las Ramblas that has gentrified over the last number of years.

We like visiting La Boqueria market on Las Ramblas. Can grab a snack/meal or slices of jamon.

The Magic Fountain of Montjuïc light show is kind of fun. Gets kind of packed though.

If you like Gaudi art, you've got La Sagrada Familia, Park Guell, Block of Discord, etc. A stroll along Passeig de Gracia (where the Block of Discord is) at night was kind of pleasant.
Avinguda del Portal de 'lAngel which runs parallel on the north end of Las Ramblas is a nice pedestrian friendly street to stroll.

Another nice walk is from the Arco de Triumfo de Barcelona to Ciutadella Park to the Zoo.

Exploring Montjuic is kind of fun too.
--

We typically don't stay too long in one place during a trip so we generally don't get too settled in at the places we stay (the exception being cruises). So, the thing that I miss during longer trips is the comfort of my own bed and ensuite. I don't miss the daily routine while away but I kind of like the odd feeling of getting back to routine once we return home.

Barcelona: Side day trip....grab a train to Girona and back. Also Monserrat.

also Euskal Etxea near the Picasso Museum
Hmmmm - that looks like the Pinchos place we couldn’t relocate after a guide took us there for a lunch break. Too bad we didn’t mark it on our phones. We were kicking ourselves the last night. Walked and walked and had to settle for another pinchos bar which wasn’t as good.

Back
Top Bottom