A really busy week -- laid off, catheterization and then off to Hawaii

dwk

Recycles dryer sheets
DW and I began planning for our Hawaiian trip 18 months ago. Then, my company decides to hold the national sales meeting the same week -- so I was going to miss the 1st half of the trip. A little over a week ago, there was a town hall meeting at headquarters and all field reps were told to dial in. Must be important, ...company announcing a joint venture/new product. No. The company is going through a re-org immediately, a sales force/area managers of 240+ is being reduced to 80. Area managers were notified the next day of their status. The field employees were told to be by their phone last Thursday and wait for the call. I got my call and I am officially terminated. Could consider open positions in other divisions, but this ship has been going down for a number of years under Peter D. Even though they finally got rid of him, its too late to right the ship.

So now I get to enjoy my entire trip with DW and friends.

A few weeks ago, I volunteered for a cardiac research study which included a CT-angiography of the heart. My calcium score was 0, a good thing. However, I have a 60%-70% narrowing of the major blood vessel supplying my heart muscle. Reviewed my study with my cardiologist and it was decided to go ahead and do a cath/possible stent. This was due to my family history, abn ecg findings at stress, and shortness of breath on exertion and the location of this stenosis. Figure I better get this taken care of while I have benefits.

Right now my focus is getting through tomorrow and heading to Hawaii. Taking care of being unemployed will have to wait a few weeks, besides I have a severence package for 30 weeks. The lay-off will screw up health care plans in FIRE and I may have to delay exiting the rat race by 2 years. But worst things could happen, like being employed at the sinking ship.

dwk

Wow-what a week! It sounds like a Hawaiin vacation is just what the doctor ordered! I spent from 01/03-01/13/07 in HI and had an absolute wonderful time. I hope that you have a great time.

It sounds like your volunteering for the cardiac research study turned out to be a good thing and possibly saved you from having a heart attack in the future.

Glad to hear that you have a 30 week severance package. I hope that your lay-off does not prevent your exiting the rat race by a couple of years. Who knows, maybe a better job with better benefits will turn up.

Best of luck and enjoy Hawaii!

DKW,

Good luck with the angioplasty. It is not fun but it is not as bad as some would make it. Yes, I have had a heart cath. and I also used to watch them when I worked for a company that made all the stuff that is used in that procedue.

Best of luck to you and I hope it went well. The worst part is the "hot flashes" and the groin entry point. Other than that it is just wierd to have someone snaking a hose into your heart from your leg.

You are in my thoughts. Get better and enjoy your trip.

Thanks for your post Dwk and take care. Life always interfers with planning. :-\

DKW
Hope the procedure goes well. Enjoy your time in HI. While sitting on the beach at sunset perhaps you could reconsider working 2 more years. You can't get the time back. Perhaps an adjustment in life style would allow this to be your permanent exit from the rat race. Or perhaps you could do a consulting gig. Just a thought.

Good luck

dwk

Even the best-made plans can get derailed! But it doesn't look like yours got very far off track! One of the hard lessons for me in ER is to acknowledge the value of my time. And I don't mean dollars. This may be a wake-up call to begin the best years of your life! Try to relax and enjoy the trip.

Back
Top Bottom