A tour of our dump... I feel like painting (again)

Marquette

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Here's the ol' homestead. We bought a spec townhouse from the builder... white walls, cheesy carpet, etc.

The living room: You can't see the track lights at the top, but I put them there. Also put the marble around the fire place (the builder had some horrible green marble with a MDF wood surround and shelf. Took that down, skim-coated the damage, and put the new marble up). Of note, the ceiling is 20' tall in the living room and I've painted twice... I hate heights, but I figure I can aim and either hit a wall or land in the loft if needed.
lr.jpg

The dining room. I installed the wood floor.
dr.jpg

The kitchen. Biggest project in here was the floor... and a new garbage disposal (nut came off of the old disposal and lodged in the grinder). Oh, and the sink wasn't caulked well so I recaulked that. I'm thinking of replacing the countertops and, if I do, I'll install 12" cabinets on this side and extend the countertop another couple inches over that.

We never were very happy with the kitchen... it works well enough but I don't have enough storage for some of the bigger pots and such.
kitchen.jpg

The loft. I installed the little ceiling fan. Home depot special. We're probably going to pull the two chairs out of here and set up our sewing machines out here. They're packed away right now.

loft.jpg

The bedroom. This is the bane of my existance. We've painted this room about 10 times so far. We're pretty happy with the current color, but it does feel like a cave in the evening.

Minor things, but I installed the floor and the mirror. I wasn't able to salvage most of the trim and it didn't have quarter-round before.

mb.jpg

The master bath. I installed new faucets throughout the house. We're thinking about switching the tub around a bit and combining the shower and tub. That would give us room for a linen closet. Not sure on that move yet.

mbath.jpg

Last, the basement. This is the only room in the house that I actually have the cable hooked up to a tv. There's a bedroom and bathroom down here so it works well for company. Otherwise, we're just down here to hit the ol' treadmill when it's too cold outside. Besides painting (three times, but that's another story), the only thing I did was install the track lighting. We're not huge fans of the look, but they're better than the globes the builder had installed.

basement.jpg

Anyway, we're thinking of taking the house of the market (not clear where we want to move to so no sense getting ready right now). So, I'm thinking that I want to paint again. We've had it this color for a few years and the red upstairs is kind of getting old... I'd like to freshen it up for spring, go a little lighter.

And, that concludes another episode of Cribs here on E-R.org

"Yo, dog...you the man!" Crib-speak for "Wow! What a lovely home!"

Nice color choices and obviously well cared for. Bravo!

10 times! Wow.. you're a paintin' fool!

If you are going to be moving I would do the least possible. If the red is worn, just paint the same or similar red to save yourself problems in covering it.. I think that's my favorite of the colors. For my taste the walls are kind of bare.. maybe if you found a nice painting for behind the bed that room would seem less severe. But actually the photos look like "trying to sell the home" photos in that they are very de-cluttered.. do you always live like that!? If so..good for you! (I never could have that little stuff). I like those tiles hanging up in the dining area. I would have 8 million things like that if I could. ;)

Anyway, it's not entirely my style but I like the consistency throughout the house of a strong color juxtaposed with white furnishings. You definitely have succeeded in making the whole thing consonant.

Maybe you should hire yourself out to friends/family to scratch your painting itch.. I'm sure they'd appreciate such care as you seem to put in.

10 times! Wow.. you're a paintin' fool!

It goes really fast with practice. I no longer need to tape off to cut in along the baseboards and I operate with just one drop cloth.

If you are going to be moving I would do the least possible. If the red is worn, just paint the same or similar red to save yourself problems in covering it.. I think that's my favorite of the colors.

Well, with the market the way it is and our indecision around moving, we're going to be here for at least 5 years. (or, if we move to Marquette, then it's also a ways off).

I really like the red too, but it's a very fall color and it just feels like it's time for spring, one way or another! The dark colors just wear after a while. It's hard to explain.

For my taste the walls are kind of bare.. maybe if you found a nice painting for behind the bed that room would seem less severe. But actually the photos look like "trying to sell the home" photos in that they are very de-cluttered.. do you always live like that!? If so..good for you! (I never could have that little stuff). I like those tiles hanging up in the dining area. I would have 8 million things like that if I could. ;)

There's actually a large photo behind the shot on the bedroom one. We were just talking today about something for over the bed. The problem is that it's an arched ceiling and a sufficiently large photo might not look quite right.

There's a photo out in the loft now as well that we picked up this fall. You're right though, the walls are bare! That's our taste, though. Clean lines, lots of negative space, contemporary furniture. To give you maybe a bit of an idea, we're building our next house and it'll have a very contemporary scandinavian feel (think contemporary / modern Finnish farm house).

I think we're going to make it one of our projects this summer is to frame and hang some of our photos. The ones up now are by Jim Brandenburg, one of the most renowned nature photographers alive today.. and he's a Minnesota native and all-around nice guy. You can see his work here: The Photography of Jim Brandenburg

Here's the bedroom print:

Jim Brandenburg's Prairie Images

This one is in the dog's room:

Jim Brandenburg's Prairie Images

This one is in the loft:

Jim Brandenburg's Looking for the Summer Images

This is a horizontal version of one of the ones in the living room:

Jim Brandenburg's Northwoods Images

and this is the one over the fireplace:

Jim Brandenburg's Looking for the Summer Images

I'd also like to bring some houseplants in, but I'm not sure where to put them or what, exactly, to get.

edit:

Sorry, the tiles are by Sid Dickens:

Sid Dickens, Decorative Tile, Decorative Plaque, Memory Block, Tile Art, Decorative Tiles, Decorative Plaques, Home Decor, Home Decoration, Shopping Online

His studio is in, I believe, Vancouver.

Great place and I love the hardwood floors.
Instead of doing a complete overhaul, maybe you can add some whimsical items/prints to the rooms.

I lived in my last new house for 6 years without changing the original paint - builder's paint - nor putting anything on the walls. Try it next time; you'll loose the urge to change things.

builder's paint - nor putting anything on the walls. Try it next time; you'll loose the urge to change things.

Yes, your soul will have been beaten down. ;) :)

Marquette, thanks for the link.. v. intriguing. In the small pic I thought they were actually antique pieces. I don't know if I'd personally buy a "new" old-looking thing.. but I must say they are very tastefullly done. I know what you mean about "spring".. you have chosen a winter-y sort of palette overall.

One trick that I used when painting my old house different colors for every room was:
I made sure to have chips of them all together and gauged the saturation of the colors, rather than just looking at the chip in each single room. If nothing leaps out at you as "off" then you'll have a harmonious result.

Just because I love to play with colors, an example is below: you might swap out the red for a nice "spring" green.. as in the second set.. but the third set has a more similar color saturation. (These are just grabs from your pix so of course monitor, lighting, etc. come into play. This is just for quickie demo purposes.)

One trick that I used when painting my old house different colors for every room was:
I made sure to have chips of them all together and gauged the saturation of the colors, rather than just looking at the chip in each single room. If nothing leaps out at you as "off" then you'll have a harmonious result.

Just because I love to play with colors, an example is below: you might swap out the red for a nice "spring" green.. as in the second set.. but the third set has a more similar color saturation. (These are just grabs from your pix so of course monitor, lighting, etc. come into play. This is just for quickie demo purposes.)

Thanks for the quick lesson on color saturation. I instinctly knew what looked "right", but your explanation makes really good sense. I'll try this the next time I'm in the painting mood.

Nice "dump"! I like to see how other people live (maybe one day we could have a thread where people can post pictures of their homes)...

Back
Top Bottom