Absolutely Heartless

Briton jailed over plot to abandon American with dementia in UK

is the headline. The story goes, a son living in CA conspired with a UK conman to abandon his father (dementia) in England. Heartless son, indeed. May he suffer from dementia in his old days.

That’s horrible and it appears he had nothing to gain.

It would be nice (and in accordance with the site rules) if you could include a posted summary from the article rather than just posting a naked link.

Thanks!

Briton jailed over plot to abandon American with dementia in UK

is the headline. The story goes, a son living in CA conspired with a UK conman to abandon his father (dementia) in England. Heartless son, indeed. May he suffer from dementia in his old days.
Thank you both :)

Hmmm ... 5 posts in and still no direct quote from the article :popcorn:.
I will do the honor :cool:.

A conman who claimed to be in an elite special forces unit has been jailed for his part in a plot to dump an American pensioner with dementia in rural England so he would be cared for by the NHS.

Simon Hayes left Roger Curry, 78, with medical staff in Hereford, claiming he had found him face down in a country lane.

Curry smiled and cried as he was abandoned. He had an American accent but could not explain to nurses or, later, care home staff, who he was or how he had come to be in the UK.

Hayes, 53, described in court as a “pathological liar”, told “a pack of lies” about Curry. His actions and false witness statements led detectives on a “wild goose chase” as they tried to work out where Curry had come from and how he had got to the UK, Worcester crown court was told.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...plot-to-dump-us-man-with-dementia-in-hereford

The article kind of makes me wonder what percentage of the human population are pathological liars :(.

Last edited:
So besides the son who seems pretty involved in the lie, I wonder about the wife of the victim.
Was the entire family in on the plan to get rid of the old guy.... ?

I suppose he was trying to keep from spending-down his parents' assets so he would end up with more money. The old man probably would have received better care in the UK than on Medicaid in the US, maybe? It sounds like the old man didn't know who he was or who anyone else was (or nearly to that point). Fraud on the part of the son, certainly, self-serving, probably, if he was trying to keep the cash for himself. Interesting case.

Hmmm ... 5 posts in and still no direct quote from the article :popcorn:.
I will do the honor :cool:.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...plot-to-dump-us-man-with-dementia-in-hereford

The article kind of makes me wonder what percentage of the human population are pathological liars :(.

I read a book once (I know that seems difficult to believe) called "The sociopath next door". It claimed that 1 in 25 of the US population is a sociopath. So I guess the answer is 4%.

IMHO that simple fact alone explains a lot of the world's problems.

I read a book once (I know that seems difficult to believe) called "The sociopath next door". It claimed that 1 in 25 of the US population is a sociopath. So I guess the answer is 4%.

IMHO that simple fact alone explains a lot of the world's problems.
/

1 in 25? It bears out. In my Megacorp management career, 1 in 20 seems to be impossible to deal with, i.e, sociopath or with some kind of serious personality flaw. Same is true with my extended family/relatives. 1 in 20 seems to be operating in different planet.

Back
Top Bottom