Actually tracking expenses this year - Whew!

But NML, you were talking about blowing cash.

As for me, what arugula? I need to go out to my backyard now to check on my dandelions and purslane.

I've been using Quicken since 1992 and have entered all of our expenses and income (including cash) since then. This has made it extremely easy to figure out our ER budget (ER'd since Dec 2002) as well as detecting right away if we are going of course in any particular area. It really doesn't take all that much time to input all the expenditure data after one gets into the routine of doing it.

Quicken even has a feature to automatically download all credit card and bank transactions although full disclosure, I haven't used it because I wan to look at each transaction as I enter it and reconcile it manually as well. Too much automation feels like "out of sight out of mind" to me.

Does anyone remember John Galt? He did his records "on the back of an envelope".

And to the best of our knowledge, his retirement went aground.

Ha

In the first quarter we were $700 under budget. I wonder what we'll do with all that money.....:whistle:

Actually we were about $1,500 under budget as of last Sunday so we splurged on 2 airline tickets to Europe this summer. That put us right back on track...;)

As for fresh arugula, I have a nice batch ready for picking on my back porch... Delicious!

I've never put together a budget in my life. But do track expenses. A major change identified early on in ER expense-tracking, was to almost eliminate actual cash use. Cash expenses had poor accountability, a big hole. Now, actual cash expenses are down to a a pin-hole.

Back
Top Bottom