Adjustable dumbbells

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
My collection of dumbbells is a a random collection of ones I have picked up here and there. I would like to replace them with adjustable dumbbells. I notice that the prices for a single set can vary from about $60 to over $200. Also, I would like a set that with increments smaller than 5 pounds. I am getting older and jumping from 15 to 20 pounds is a big deal these days. A 2-3 pound jump makes more sense. As I get older healing from 'overdoing it' takes longer and longer.

Any suggestions for a good set of dumbbells. I'll need two sets, I suppose.

PowerBlock Sport 24 Adjustable Dumbbells, Sold in Pairs, 3-24 lb. $199.99

Something like these?

VARIETY OF INCREMENTS: Increments of these workout weights are in 3-pound increments of 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, and 24 lbs. per hand.

61i9hxv0JDL._AC_SX679_.jpg

I just have a set of very old school weights from the 1980's (iron plates, dumbbells and barbell with bench). They don't get a lot of use... when I'm motivated to lift I usually go to the local YMCA.

The smallest plates I have are 1.25 lb (which would be 2.5 lb per dumbbell). I'm guessing that's what you're looking for? (this is the type where you unsecure the collar on each side, add or remove plates, then re-secure the collar)

When I built my "collection" back then, the plates cost approximately 10 cents per pound... now I guessing the plates are well over $1/lb.

My suggestion would be to get the adjustable dumbbells... it only takes a minute to change the weight plates.

Now I'm motivated to dig them out of the basement corner and do a few sets :)

I have the Bowflex 552 adjustable dumbbell set. 5,7.5,10,12.5,15,17.5,20,22.5,25,30,35,40,45,50,52.5 lb settings.

Great, Have had them for a long. time with no problems.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 3.00.08 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 3.00.08 PM.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 5
I had a set of adjustable dumbbells and sold them. They are slightly awkward compared to fixed dumbbells.

I have 10, 15, 20 and 25 pairs. That is enough to do everything I do. Not trying to bulk. Just do enough to stay fit.

I guess if you do get a set, go for the more expensive and sturdy Bowflex models.

I didn’t pay close attention but ALDI was offering a temporary special that might be worth considering but likely for the future. Below is an article that describes the weights from a previous offer but they look similar to the ones I saw at the store. Those who know the value of weights can share their thoughts. https://www.aisleofshame.com/aldi-dumbbells/

At least two issues with this. The weights may not be a good value and Aldi might not be conveniently located. But, if Aldi is nearby, it might be worth checking out but it is possible, you would need to wait for the next time they stock this non-regular stocked item.

I prefer non-adjustable.

I have several pairs from 3 lb to 25 lb and only use for the toning. Have a decent dumbell rack too.

IMO, so much more convenient to just grab dumbells and not have to stop to adjust.

I prefer non-adjustable.

I have several pairs from 3 lb to 25 lb and only use for the toning. Have a decent dumbell rack too.

IMO, so much more convenient to just grab dumbells and not have to stop to adjust.

I also have individual dumbbell weights at home in the 5-25lb weight class that I prefer to grab when watching a tv show, etc.
When I go to the fitness center, I can push a little harder for my resistance training.

I've had the Powerblock Elite for about 7 years. Generally happy with them and would probably buy again. If space wasn't an issue I'd prefer a full set of cast dumbells without the "frame" around the handle. I have some plate ones too (threaded bars) but never use them as the Powerblock are more convenient to switch.

If you decide not to buy the adjustables, you can always increase your resistance with less reps. So, instead of jumping 100% from 15 to 20 pounds, maybe do 5 reps at 20, then back to 15 for the remainder. "Rinse and repeat." That's worked for me.

I had thought about a pair of adjustable dumbbells but I need them to go well over 50 pounds each and the price was far too much. I use spinlocks:

spin-lock-dumbbell-bars-8892a25e-25c3-462b-b6db-f4e608f47852-jpgrendition.jpg

VARIETY OF INCREMENTS: Increments of these workout weights are in 3-pound increments of 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, and 24 lbs. per hand.

I owned a set of PowerBlocks that were very similar in design to these, but the plates were in 5 lb increments and the set maxed out at 40 or 50 lbs. It was very easy to adjust them so I could quickly change weights during a workout. And they didn't take up much space.

But, I eventually sold them for several reasons. First, the set I purchased did not have the option to use 2.5 lb additional weights. That prevented me from making progress on a few exercises where I was only working out with 10 or 15 lbs. The other Con to this particular design is that the shape of the dumbbells makes it hard to grab them on end for something like a behind the neck press. Therefore I can't recommend this particular model.

FWIW I replaced them with an adjustable weight kettlebell. Actually, I now have two. The reason I made the change is so I can tell the ladies that I have "bells of steel." :)

We also have the BowFlex adjustable dumbbells, from 5 to 52.5 lbs in 2.5 lb increments to 25 lbs, 5 lb increments from 25 to 50 lbs. They aren’t cheap, but we prefer having one set of dumbbells over 15 pairs of dumbbells. We’ve had ours for more than 15 years (quite a bit cheaper when we bought), so not expensive in the long run.

https://www.bowflex.com/selecttech/552/100131.html

Last edited:
I had thought about a pair of adjustable dumbbells but I need them to go well over 50 pounds each and the price was far too much. I use spinlocks:

View attachment 48564

we have these as well, but now that I've got the space of a house with a dedicated gym room, we bought regular weights and they are so much less annoying. We've got 2.5-50lbs barbells and being able to just grab the weights you need rather than having to constantly adjust is so much nicer for me. Plus my spinlocks keep not locking. :/ They have an unfortunate tendency for me of unlocking and rotating when I'm lifting with them. They mostly sit around packed to max weight and being used for things where they don't rotate, so essentially just a 52.5lb weight... :p

Something like these?

If you are patient, Woot puts the power block Sport sets on sale. I bought a pair a year or 2 ago and seen them come up again. Buy a rack too.

Thanks for all the help. I settle on the power block 3-24 pound adjustables. I think they will do fine for my purposes. If I ever get to the point where I will need weights much above 24 pounds, I will be happy to buy another pair. These days, just maintaining strength is a challenge.

WOOT has a sale on the 5-50 pound set, but that’s too much weight for me. I don’t need to injure myself, just improve my strength and keep it as long as I can.

Last edited:
WOOT has a sale on the 5-50 pound set, but that’s too much weight for me. I don’t need to injure myself, just improve my strength and keep it as long as I can.

Funny, I saw the sale come up this morning.
I highly recommend a stand if you don’t have a firm surface to put them on. And it’s much easier to lift from waist height than the floor.

Back
Top Bottom