Advice on buying a car for grandson

Jerry1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
My grandson is 17 and I am planning on buying him a car. I'll expect some consideration from him so it will not be entirely a gift. He's a good kid and I'm happy to help. My budget is $5,000 but I'd be happier if I could spend less. It's just that in looking at cars online and doing some research, I don't see me getting something I'd be happy with for much less than $5K.

The help I need is to give me your thoughts on a few things that have come up in my "research". Also, any advice on how to fine a nice used car is appreciated.

I know the price is based on condition, age and miles. How would you balance those things? Keeping the price set at $5K, if the car has under 150K miles on it, it's going to be an older year. I've even seen some cars under 100K miles but they're closer to 20 years old. The newer cars seem to be near or above 200K miles if they're asking $5K. Would you get an older car with less miles or a newer car with more miles? The newer car is likely to be in better looking condition, but with over 200K miles on it, is there much life left in it?

Then there is brand. I'm more familiar with GM and Ford - something like a Malibu or Focus or maybe even an Escape. I wouldn't mind getting a Camry but for $5K, those will have 250K+ miles. His dad had a Honda Civic, but I just am not seeing many of them.

I'd appreciate your thoughts as I start to get serious about this. Thankfully, I'm in no hurry but it would be nice to get him something for this summer.

Sold my 2014 Camry with 200k miles on it for $7,000 last summer. Bought another new Camry for 30k. Camry is a nice car. At 200k it had some issues that needed to be addressed. Needed shocks, struts, rotors and breaks, and had a leaky axle. Needed a new battery as well.

We sold our 2002 TDI Beetle last year for $3K, and it was pretty beat, just from being 20 years old. Ran good, but the interior and exterior were definitely EoL, as is traditional for VWs. I'd be surprised if you can get a safe and decent car for $5K these days. Maybe a 5-speed would be cheaper? Not much of a market for it these days, and it comes with a built in Millennial theft avoidance system. It really isn't that hard to teach them to drive it.

All my opinion, of course :)

$5k is pretty low to start. For me, it was just doable in the early year 2000s for kids.
But by ~2010, anything that could move under its own power could be sold for $1,000, so $5k didn't leave a lot of room for quality.

I'll state something obvious... the best car may be one that someone you know is thinking of trading in, assuming it's not a rust bucket underneath, or big troubles are why they are getting rid of it. I got a great car many years ago from a lady that a relative of mine knew. It was her husbands car, and he unfortunately died of a heart attack while away on a business trip. So even better (as far as the car quality, I mean!) as there had been no prior thought of getting rid of the car.

When we bought cars for kids, all of them needed some work. I have been working on cars (and just about everything else), since my teens. So they learned and put some sweat equity into their cars, as they did the troubleshooting and repair work alongside me. This really boosted the emotional value of the cars to them, there was never any goofing around with them, no matter what the peer pressure was. And they learned a lot, that they use today.

You mentioned Ford Escape. I wouldn't touch one after the 2012 model year. The 2009 - 2012 series still had the bones of the original Mazda design, and the 2.5L 4 and the 3.0L V6 were improvements to and a big power boost on the Mazda designed 2.3L 4 and 3.0L V6 used prior to 2009. The 2.5L 4 really goes, and has loads of underhood room, since the car was designed to fit a V6 in it. Oh, and they WILL take a full-size spare tire and wheel underneath, with no modifications whatsoever. A full-size spare & wheel was a fleet option.

EDIT: - ooooh, I just looked at your profile, a rust-belt state! That biases to newer by quite a bit I assume. When I lived in the rust belt (we didn't call it that back then!), cars would rust through in 6 or so years. I realize there have been metal and coating improvements since, but a youtube car repair guy I watch lives near the finger lakes in NY, and a lot of what I drive here hasn't been seen there in years! Just memories.

Last edited:
I would not get a Ford, or spend less than $5K. Any more that you might be able to spend will reduce the maintenance cost, hopefully.

I already have a vehicle for my Grandson... actually 2. A 2000 CRV sitting here for him to help me put an engine in, Paid $400 for it The engine is coming out of his Great Grandparents CRV that was wrecked. The other is his Fathers 1976 Harley that he is going to help me restore.
I will stand behind any Jetta or CRV, have had both go over 300K miles.

Older high mileage cars would have me thinking Toyota, Honda & Subaru with hopefully all wheel drive in a snow state based on my current & past vehicles. People getting rid of vehicles usually stop maintenance so air filters, oil change and possibly brakes, rotors, exhaust and tires would be in my budget beyond the $5K purchase price.

IIRC, the most recent car purchases for my kids were in the $10-$15k range. That got well maintained, low mileage cars that were 5-10 years old. I figured that could last them 10-15 years, as they find their own path out of the nest. I did not want to burden them with an unreliable car.

Toyota Corollas or Honda Civic I also would be a good choice. A 5k car here you would most likely would be looking at a high maintenance car.

I bought my kid a larger vehicle because of the safety reasons. I always felt better in a larger vehicle like a pickup. Pickups in our part of the world are very common with both girls and boys.

Thanks for the responses so far. Couple things to add.

I do expect that with a $5K car I’d probably have to put another $1-$2K into it to bring it up to snuff. One reason I would go $7K on a car is because I still think I’d need to put maintenance money into it.

I struggle with paying more primarily because I expect the first car to get a little beat up as he really learns to drive. Not sure it that’s a good way to think about it, but I look at this as a car for a year or two and then get half the money back as he moves into a nicer car.

Yes, I live in the north and rust is an issue. However, I have family in a couple southern states and I’m looking there as well. But, given my time horizon, a little rust isn’t an issue.

Yes, I live in the north and rust is an issue. However, I have family in a couple southern states and I’m looking there as well. .

Wifes sister and BIL live in NY and have been getting vehicles down here for years. Whenever my phone rings from him, I answer with what ya buy now. We have delivered several over the years.

I do expect that with a $5K car I’d probably have to put another $1-$2K into it to bring it up to snuff. One reason I would go $7K on a car is because I still think I’d need to put maintenance money into it.

I struggle with paying more primarily because I expect the first car to get a little beat up as he really learns to drive. Not sure it that’s a good way to think about it, but I look at this as a car for a year or two and then get half the money back as he moves into a nicer car.

Yes, I live in the north and rust is an issue. However, I have family in a couple southern states and I’m looking there as well. But, given my time horizon, a little rust isn’t an issue.
Good luck and I do like your thinking for a first car. Hope you find the right one.

Toyota Corollas or Honda Civic I also would be a good choice. A 5k car here you would most likely would be looking at a high maintenance car.

I bought my kid a larger vehicle because of the safety reasons. I always felt better in a larger vehicle like a pickup. Pickups in our part of the world are very common with both girls and boys.

Safety has more to do with crumple zones and airbags than size. Also, a smaller car is more maneuverable and can stop faster which may help to avoid a collision.

Watch this:

Crap shoot.. Older with lower miles or newer with "relatively" higher miles... My guess is any newer vehicle for 5k with under 100k miles is "suspect"... Major hidden damage/mechanical problems, recondition title, flooded, etc. But you may get lucky. I'm sure they exist but (Caveat emptor).

If it were me, for 5k to spend, think I'd try to narrow my search for a smaller to mid size car/truck in the 8 to 12yr range with under 150k miles. Try Cars.Com.. They have a pretty good search engines for their cars.

And as you already know, be prepared to probably spend a few more "k" to get things fixed.

Last edited:
Safety has more to do with crumple zones and airbags than size. Also, a smaller car is more maneuverable and can stop faster which may help to avoid a collision.

Watch this:

True!!!!

I was thinking more of when my son first vehicle. An old outfit didn't have all the airbag safety things built in. So, a larger heavier outfit was where I leaned too.

I couldn't agree more with your video and thinking. Thank You.

I have a Kia Soul that has been a good little car, and a lot roomier inside than it looks from outside. These are relatively low priced.

So my opinion is the opposite of yours ...while our DD were learning the ins and outs of driving rural driving on our case we bought them a late model car with new tires, and all the latest safety features.. because kids you know....and S@#t happens. Mistakes are made by young drivers count on it. That's just my 2 cents

.lots of safety ratings on the internet which helps pick a car

Last edited:
$10k is the new $5k.

I'd start with a 2011 to 2013 Ford Escape with under 100k miles.

Lots of variables. Snow area and AWD? $5k will have multiple issues. $10k you might luck out and only have a few issues.

Facebook Marketplace has kind of replaced Craigslist for private party used cars.

I think the Ford Focus 2006-2009 have amazingly reliable engines, and they are undervalued compared to the Civics and Corollas.
Let us know what you get.

I watched one of those silly Scotty Kilmore? Videos, and he claimed a 2012 Accord with a 4 cylinder engine is the most reliable used car.

Transmission issues in the years prior.

Not really news, calling a base Honda or Toyota reliable.

I had great luck with multiple Civics. Non turbo, 5 speeds.

$10k is the new $5k.

I'd start with a 2011 to 2013 Ford Escape with under 100k miles.

Lots of variables. Snow area and AWD? $5k will have multiple issues. $10k you might luck out and only have a few issues.

Facebook Marketplace has kind of replaced Craigslist for private party used cars.

Yes. It is hard to get anything decent under $5k. I opened a thread a few weeks ago and member here encouraged me to move up. I did, and am happy I did. Owner was asking 8k, we agreed to low 7k.

A few things:
- The market is still RIDICULOUS right now and people are demanding and getting high prices. Know this and be realistic. It has cooled a bit, but not as much as we may hope.
- Newer with high miles gets you more safety, and perhaps more comfort.
- Newer means less daily and seasonal temperature cycles, especially in the interior, which means less wear and tear on stuff like internal switches.
- If you are serious and have time, invest in a CarFax. Maybe you don't like the commercial. Maybe you want to poke the cartoon fox in the eye. Maybe $45 seems steep. But... For me, it was a good investment, however, I was stupid about it because I did it backwards (more in a minute).
- Check out some online forums about your target car, but don't read too much because you will get depressed. Every car has issues and forums will discuss them all in alarming detail: yes, even for Honda and Toyota.

I've been a GM guy most of my life, and most recently moving to Subaru. DW moved to Toyota. 40 years ago I swore on an old tire rim I would never buy a Honda.

Last week I bought a Honda. :LOL:

It is a 2011 Odyssey with 201k miles. Top of the line. Nice creature comforts that all work well. Being top of line, it was ahead of the curve and has stuff like Bluetooth hook up and rear backup camera, all of which work flawlessly.

It was a private party sale which was nerve-wracking, but our respective families hit it off right away during the test drive and made a deal where everyone is happy. Based on this, I took a bit of a chance and believed what I was told. You shouldn't do this. I was lucky. While looking into what maintenance I may need, I realized the timing belt situation could be critical. The nice folks I bought it from said: "We shred everything, we don't have records, but we did our best." Yikes, I still bought the car.

So I ran a CarFax, and sure enough the maintenance is detailed very well, including the timing belt, which only has 60k miles on it. Whew!

Good luck, have fun! I found the process to be exciting, frustrating, and fascinating. I've put a couple of hundred miles on it and am happy, although I see some suspension/axle work to the tune of $1.5k or so in my near future. Not unusual at 200k.

Coda: be very careful with Facebook Marketplace. Very, very careful. It can work OK, but you really have to be on guard. I bought through Autotrader's Private Exchange system, which essentially acts as a payment and titling proxy. Much less room for scams.

Last edited:
Corolla or such about 2016. Probably a little more than $5k. I wouldn't go over about 75k miles, depending on how much it's going to be driven, as maintenance costs are probably not in his budget.

Who is actually going to own the car? If it's him, he'll pay big insurance $. And he might trade it in on a Charger without asking you when he's 18.

Back
Top Bottom