Affordable remote land in United States

What is an abandoned camp? Like a logging camp?

Anyone know a good site for searching for upstate NY land like the kind Freebird5825 is referring to?

Camp in upstate NY parlance means a parcel in the woods with a sheck/cabin/mobile home/small stick-built home on it. The reason it would be abandoned is that RE taxes can be high.

As for a site, www.landandcamps.com is worth a gander to see what is out there. I have no idea if their prices are reasonable vs. the market in that area.

I second the RV/travel trailer suggestion. We regularly camp in 1000+ acre state parks for bupkis and can change the scenery any time we like. Best of all, no RE taxes and few hassles.

South Central Kentucky. I recently saw 33 acres for 72K.

Tomcat98

ND. Cheap land. Might not make it above zero for a few days here and there, though.

ND Land - $33k for 8 acres. Paved road, river front, etc.

Notice picture 2 and 3.

-CC

If you find it - let us know.
I think potable water influences the price of the land greatly.

For Sale-Junk land $1,000 per Acre

Land Sale

If you look around the survivalist blog that dex linked to, you quickly find that there are concerns about security. Also, what if you have a medical emergency in the middle of nowhere? How about eventual mobility problems? There is also a tendency for people in isolation to go batty.

Some dreams are less practical than others.

I actually stumbled upon a nice 160 acre piece of land that's only 4 hours from me for 40K CAD (32K USD) and it comes with a little junky trailer that the current owners use for shelter when they go there to hunt etc. Only thing it doesn't have is hydro, but hydro is nearby. Biggest problem is the weather issue. Not sure I'll be able to stomach our winters forever.

But I guess on the other hand it is close enough that we could go there to camp and relax on a weekend, whereas if I purchased in the USA we'd get a lot less use out of it.

But I guess on the other hand it is close enough that we could go there to camp and relax on a weekend, whereas if I purchased in the USA we'd get a lot less use out of it.

This sort of consideration turned out to be the sticking point for us. While I'd love a rural tract to play with, anything inexpensive enough would be too far away to use much. So we went the travel trailer route to scratch this particular itch.

Almost ten years ago I bought an old farmhouse, 40 acres, and two barns in NW Il. At the time it was selling for 2500 an acre. The land is divided between pasture, tillable, forest and swamp. I have some river frontage also. I still own it and enjoy it but I'm very handy with repairs and don't mind being alone in the boonies in pitch blackness with yotes howling all night. Be very careful with what it entails. If you want to buy now for future use it will surely appreciate if it dosen't kill you first. In the winter I can't get to the house without four wheel drive. I have to heat the place so the pipes don't freeze. In the summer I spend almost three hours a week cutting grass. I've had to buy two tractors and countless tools to keep the place up. You will need chainsaws, shovels, picks. sledges and many other unexpected things. If you don't live there year around eventually someone is going to try and steal your stuff. You will need to learn country skills, like making Barb wire fence and felling trees or killing varmits. You will have to deal with trespassers. You will be truly alone at times, cell phones may not work, cable and DSl may not be available. Most of your neighbors will be miles away and probably won't like you anyway since to them you are an outsider who bought up land that was taken out of production. You will make some new friends and learn how to prime a well pump among hundreds of new skills. It's a tradeoff in many respects. Life is harder but to me more rewarding in the little things. I simply want you to look at it realistically and make an informed decision.

Almost ten years ago I bought an old farmhouse, 40 acres, and two barns in NW Il. At the time it was selling for 2500 an acre. The land is divided between pasture, tillable, forest and swamp. I have some river frontage also. I still own it and enjoy it but I'm very handy with repairs and don't mind being alone in the boonies in pitch blackness with yotes howling all night. Be very careful with what it entails. If you want to buy now for future use it will surely appreciate if it dosen't kill you first. In the winter I can't get to the house without four wheel drive. I have to heat the place so the pipes don't freeze. In the summer I spend almost three hours a week cutting grass. I've had to buy two tractors and countless tools to keep the place up. You will need chainsaws, shovels, picks. sledges and many other unexpected things. If you don't live there year around eventually someone is going to try and steal your stuff. You will need to learn country skills, like making Barb wire fence and felling trees or killing varmits. You will have to deal with trespassers. You will be truly alone at times, cell phones may not work, cable and DSl may not be available. Most of your neighbors will be miles away and probably won't like you anyway since to them you are an outsider who bought up land that was taken out of production. You will make some new friends and learn how to prime a well pump among hundreds of new skills. It's a tradeoff in many respects. Life is harder but to me more rewarding in the little things. I simply want you to look at it realistically and make an informed decision.

Sounds like a pretty real assessment. Just being away from your home base tools is debilitating - Pissed at myself - knew a shower valve was frozen closed for the last 5 years but got cajoled into addressing a single handle tub/shower valve that was dripping. Lots of mineral buildup and i twisted the %*/!!. Now i'm waiting for a plumber to show up because i am not going to get involved with buying all the tools & parts needed to sweat a valve inside a tiled wall - local hardware store 6 miles away is pretty useless, Home Depot is more like 25 miles. And this is pretty civilized - like there's a plumber one can call!

Looked at island acrage in the Thousand Islands (NY - Canadian border). 25k would buy most of a island. Access is the issue, however. The St Lawrence river is inaccessable for small boat 4 months a year (ice)

Looked at island acrage in the Thousand Islands (NY - Canadian border). 25k would buy most of a island. Access is the issue, however. The St Lawrence river is inaccessable for small boat 4 months a year (ice)

A coworker was going stir crazy and sent me a bunch of messages telling me he's going to buy an island in the South Pacific. That's great except there is no way to get there and nothing there once you get there.

I'm not in the market now (we want to move where its warm yearround). I have looked at land in Michigan, both the UP and Northern Michgian and there is land that fits your bill there. So large and varied that I wouldn't recommend any one area. Does have winter so may be too cold for you.
But if not, I suggest you take a week and drive around one of the areas and you'll see what you like.
Another suggestion...don't rush into it, with the economy going as it is, you've probably got a year or so to buy, and I wouldn't buy without spending some time in the area.

You might want to consider Mexico. Prices away from the ocean are very reasonable. Water is plentiful in Jalisco where we live. Winter temperatures are such that no electricity is needed for cooling. In summer, there is an electrical storm and deluge every day around 6pm. Many gringos live here year round and they love the summers.

me, I escape to Vancouver from June 1st to Nov 1st.

I sold 40 acres in the Missouri Ozarks a few years ago as I wasn't using it. I was happy with the $600/ acre I recieved. It had a good road and had nice views. nearest power was a couple of miles away.

It did get below freezing in the winter though. And now that I think about it, it was 6 or 7 years ago.

I sold 40 acres in the Missouri Ozarks a few years ago as I wasn't using it. I was happy with the $600/ acre I recieved. It had a good road and had nice views. nearest power was a couple of miles away.

It did get below freezing in the winter though. And now that I think about it, it was 6 or 7 years ago.

Did it have potable water on it?

There were people living in the area year round, so I guess a well could be drilled. I paid $250 an acre in the late 1990's for it so I still made alittle on it. Taxes were almost $100 a year though. It was hilly, rockey, all the good trees were cut for timber years ago. It was in Iron Co. Missouri, just south of Taum Sauk mountain.

Maine has this type of land deal still. It's very isolated there, and, with the cold Canada winters, this should be right up your alley.
There is a fellow on the City-Data.com board from Maine who brags about what he paid for his place and his low taxes. He has made many posts about this, and very easy to find. Sorry I cannot remember his name, but you won't have a problem locating him as I always run into him on various boards.
The trick is to find a place where you purchase enough (farm) land that there are close to no taxes.
From personal experience, I also know Texas and Arkansas has alot of rural land like what you are seeking. And there are tons of areas in Texas that are illegal-free as the illegals mainly congregate in larger cities to find work. Sweetwater, Texas, near Abilene has the lowest property tax rates I've found with plenty of land at cheap rates. It isn't too crowded over that way and very rural.
I see your quest as very do-able, frankly.

Back
Top Bottom