AGA (allianz) settlement

rodi

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I've posted in the past about the cancelled cruise in Jan 2022, and how no insurance paid out. It was the only time I've bought insurance, making sure it covered cancellations due to Covid. The cruise industry was just getting re-started so I knew there was a risk... and we were doing a transatlantic cruise, which was to be followed by time spent in Cinque Terre hiking, then return home.

I was able to eventually recoup *most* of the costs, but not through the insurance(s) I'd purchased. By applying trip credit for airfares, getting refunds on lodging, and arguing for a few months with the cruise line that cancelled the cruise and didn't want to refund the deposit.

But I never was able to get back the trip insurance cost... They denied the claim and didn't respond when I tried to escalate it.

Today I got an email about the AGA settlement. It's covering Allianz policies between 2016 and 2023... For residents for CA and WA. In theory, I'll get back 70% of the cost of the policy.

Better than nothing.

https://www.assistancefeesettlement.com/
Attention California and Washington Purchasers of Allianz Global Assistance Travel and Event Protection Plans Between September 4, 2016 and September 30, 2023
The notice may affect your rights. Please read it carefully.

A federal court has authorized the notice. This is not a solicitation from a lawyer.

Nice for CA and WA residents.

I don't want to think about it too much because my blood boils... but we got screwed out of cash for a trip (not a cruise) planned for Jun 2020. The trip agency is a bunch of hucksters. I don't know how they are still in business as their rating on Yelp is 2 something, and on BBB it is 3. Nobody gets a 3 on BBB and survives. People are still actively posting on BBB giving them hell.

Meanwhile, Allianz conveniently had clauses about countries being closed or whatever that denied any claim.

I fully expect we'll get a class action notice sometime for either or both of these companies. We'll probably be offered $10 and a useless travel voucher.

Nice for CA and WA residents.

I fully expect we'll get a class action notice sometime for either or both of these companies. We'll probably be offered $10 and a useless travel voucher.

The travel voucher thing is like salt in a wound. MSC cancelled the cruise without notification to us via email. Apparently if you booked through a travel agent, you were notified months earlier, but not if you booked directly with MSC. They offered a travel voucher..... Like I would EVER book with them again after this experience. That's what took months... trying to talk them into refunding my deposit in cash, not a voucher....

The travel voucher thing is like salt in a wound. MSC cancelled the cruise without notification to us via email. Apparently if you booked through a travel agent, you were notified months earlier, but not if you booked directly with MSC. They offered a travel voucher..... Like I would EVER book with them again after this experience. That's what took months... trying to talk them into refunding my deposit in cash, not a voucher....

Exactly! Different company for me, but same story.

Glad you are getting something back!

Does the contract you signed with them allow them to substitute a voucher for the actual trip that selected?

If not, wouldn't a short trip to the small claims court in your city be an expeditious way to settle it?

I would think that a court judgement in your favor sent the the corporations legal office would result in prompt payment.

But again, this is all based on my model of how the world works which can be flawed at time.

-gauss

Back
Top Bottom