Age restrictions for Roth conversion?

Badger

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Once you reach 70 1/2 and have to take RMD can you still make conversions to a Roth IRA?

With our combined pensions, SS, and dividends from taxable accounts I estimate that once we turn 70 1/2 the resulting addition of RMD will put us in the 25% tax bracket with more income than we need for our living expenses. Instead of taking the distribution and putting the money in a taxable account is it possible to use the RMD for a conversion to a Roth instead? Or would that not be considered taking the RMD?

I guess that is two questions. If the second question is not possible then any suggestions for how to deal with that situation are welcome.

Cheers!

Looks like there is no age restriction. I found this article useful on the why / why-nots of conversion:
Post-Retirement Roth Conversion « Fairmark.com Fairmark.com

Maybe it's buried in there but I didn't see it..........you cannot convert the RMD and since RMDs must come out first (or are considered to come out first), in order to do a conversion, you need to pull the RMD first, then pull additional funds to convert. Kind of a dilemna since you then have to worry about higher medicare B premiums if you get too high but perhaps you might want to console yourself by knowing there could be worse problems to have :)

Maybe it's buried in there but I didn't see it................
Sorry, a better reference:

RMD and Roth Conversion

People receiving required minimum distributions aren't allowed to roll them over to another IRA or retirement plan — and that means they aren't allowed to convert these payments to a Roth IRA. What's more, the IRS says the first dollars that come out of a traditional IRA in a year for which the RMD rule applies must be treated as RMD dollars. In effect, they are saying you have to satisfy the RMD requirement before you do a Roth conversion.

Last edited:
Maybe it's buried in there but I didn't see it..........you cannot convert the RMD and since RMDs must come out first (or are considered to come out first), in order to do a conversion, you need to pull the RMD first, then pull additional funds to convert.

That is how I understand it as well. I know a couple of folks who are in their 70's and doing ROTH conversions so that it is better for their children when they inherit them.

Back
Top Bottom