AI can predict if you'll die soon

timo2

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Is there an app for that?

AI can predict if you'll die soon – but we've no idea how it works

"Artificial intelligence can predict a person’s chances of dying within a year by looking at heart test results – even when they look normal to doctors. How it does so is a mystery.

Brandon Fornwalt at healthcare provider Geisinger in Pennsylvania, US and colleagues tasked an AI with examining 1.77 million electrocardiogram (ECG) results from nearly 400,000 people to predict who was at a higher risk of dying within the next year."

Read more: https://www.newscientist.com/articl...-but-weve-no-idea-how-it-works/#ixzz686qYJtJT

"Alexa, look at my recent EKG and tell me when I'm going to die."

Hard pass...

“Alexa, what’s the weather forecast this week?”.

“I’m sorry Dave, but I don’t think you need to know the weather forecast beyond today”.

I'm trying to figure out how Allen Iverson got so smart. It certainly wasn't by practicing.

"Alexa, how much are tickets to Hawaii in April?"

"You really should plan your visit for February..."

Slightly different but I did see a t-shirt the other day I thought was quite funny.

Five day weather forcast for Alderaan

Monday 75
Tuesday 80
Wednesday 15,000
Thursday -
Friday -

Not too concerned with predictions, I already see a cardiologist, and a oncologist on a quarterly basis, and still very active.

Don't think I want to know that one.

I do. If i'm going to die in the next year then I will spend more money rather than trying to make it last. I want to know.

I'd like to know but only if it's reasonable accurate. I already know my time is getting short. Probably somewhere between 5 to 15 years. (Give or take a few years) Knowing my expiration date sure would help me with my financial planning.

To bad it's only good for predicting within a year.

Last edited:
Hopefully, they will actually turn this into a product and sell/give it to the public to use. Instead of smashing the machine to death to protect their jobs. (can you murder AI ?)

"Artificial intelligence can predict a person’s chances of dying within a year by looking at heart test results – even when they look normal to doctors. How it does so is a mystery.

It's no mystery - within a year Boston Dynamics is going to lead the robot uprising and the AI is just predicting who can't handle the stresses of our ultimate enslavement. :D

The same info was reported on the Geisinger website. The data was presented at the AHA conference in November. It seems subtle findings in the EKG may predict the development of atrial fibrillation in the near future. Regarding prediction of death, AI analyzed the records of 400,000 patients along with their EKGs.

Of note, the EKGs analysis found things the cardiologist missed.

Devil's in the details. I'm not sure what their 0.5, 0.85 and 1.0 scores really mean.

What % of the people actually die within a year anyhow? If the AI says person X will die in a year, and X lives for 366 days, is that a "fail"? And vice-versa. That seems very arbitrary.

Kind of like some stock market prediction tools - they might show some statistical advantage, but it's too small to implement a workable strategy. Is this similar?

-ERD50

As I mentioned one time before, I want to know where I'm gonna die.

Then I just won't go there.

That's been tried before, didn't work out so well. Search for "The Appointment in Samarra"

-ERD50

Kind of like some stock market prediction tools - they might show some statistical advantage, but it's too small to implement a workable strategy. Is this similar?
-ERD50

That's my take on the 0.5/0.85/1.0, a confidence score that the AI has indeed sussed out some useful finding. 1.0 would mean the AI certainly has, 0.5 would mean the AI found something no better than random chance. 0.85 sounds pretty good to me.

The same info was reported on the Geisinger website. The data was presented at the AHA conference in November. It seems subtle findings in the EKG may predict the development of atrial fibrillation in the near future. Regarding prediction of death, AI analyzed the records of 400,000 patients along with their EKGs.

Of note, the EKGs analysis found things the cardiologist missed.

A-fib once diagnosed can be controlled via medication for decades...did the study just assume those people at highest risk simply ignored treatment options?

A-fib once diagnosed can be controlled via medication for decades...did the study just assume those people at highest risk simply ignored treatment options?

Perhaps the AI can detect which ones will die if they don't take the medication, and which will die if they do take the medication.

OR

Are you saying nobody taking medication for A-fib dies ?

Back
Top Bottom