"All Gratuities Included," but still encouraged to Tip?

I have done a few tours with Rick Steve’s. For some oddball reason he says No Tipping and he and his guides mean it. It is not uncommon for the travelers to show a token of appreciation for their guide by taking up a truly voluntary contribution for a gift to the guide, but that is as close to ‘tipping’ as I have seen.

What the OP describes is just another abuse of the tipping system, IMHO.

To be perfectly clear, the tour guide never asked for tips for himself. The company strictly prohibits that. His remarks were on behalf of the various contracted workers (drivers, guides, restaurant help, performers, etc.) He always framed it in terms of "And again, in case you were wondering if it's OK to tip the workers, since we're all-inclusive..." OK big guy, we heard you the first time...

I think it is probable he gets a cut of the tips. Maybe I am just getting to cynical in my old age.

I doubt it; I think he is an honest person, and doing so would violate the terms of employment and possibly get him fired. I do think it made him a "big man" with the local staffs and workers, though. They had to know he was doing it.

I think it is probable he gets a cut of the tips. Maybe I am just getting to cynical in my old age.

I went on a few cruises that had an extensive art auction (I don't recommend them) that served champagne during the auction. I sat in the back near the bar where the waitress had to pass with her tray. The second time she past by and left a glass I tipped her $1. She made it a point of keeping me with a full glass. So I tipped $1 again. I left for a pit stop and when I returned she was right back with another glass of champagne. So I left another $1. By the end of the auction I probably drank 2 entire bottles of champagne (admittedly not the best but still) for a total of $3. Best return on investment I have ever had.

Cheers!

I would not feel obliged to tip in that case.

And don't we all know tips are always welcomed?

Reminds me of my younger days when I worked at a golf course. During all special events held at the course a tip was included in the fee. Most golfers probably weren't aware of it and would tip again after the round. Worked out to a nice pay day for a starving student.

restaurants use the US format of adding a gratuity line and blank total to your credit card receipt.

Yeah, even more to hate. Last week, we were in New Orleans and a group of us had a Dinner Cruise on the "Natchez." The menu prominently show "Gratuities Included." At the end of the meal and everyone was ready to go out on deck, the bills showed up. The receipt had that "Tip" line and a blank Total. I wrote "Included" on the Tip line and copied the above amount to the Total. I signed the slip and felt no regrets of any kind as I went out on deck.

For me, if I were on a all tips included trip I would not be giving any tips on anything that has to do with that trip... I have already paid the appropriate amount of tip as the trip provider must know the proper amount to tip...

Now, if I did something that was not part of the trip, say during free time if there were any, I would tip if appropriate...

Lately I've noticed that a lot of fast food places (meaning places where you stand in line to place an order, pay for it, and then pick it up when they call you) are using an iPad system to process orders. They turn the iPad over to you and ask you to sign it. The places I visit automatically select the 15% tip option and leave it up to me if I want to change it to "No tip" or something else.

To be honest I'm not even sure who I'm tipping. The person who rang up the order, the cook who assembled the food? I mean these are places where I bus my own table after I'm done eating. I always select No Tip and have no concerns about doing so. It's just another example of being asked to provide a tip for service you haven't even received (or in this case won't ever receive).

We purchased one off-tour activity, and tipped the people there. Their staff did not fail to remind us...:D They also soaked us for a thumb drive with video of the activity. We, and another couple, thought we heard "Five dollars" for the video. When we got the bill on our credit cards, it was forty-five dollars. Those tricky accents :D getcha every time.

For me, if I were on a all tips included trip I would not be giving any tips on anything that has to do with that trip... I have already paid the appropriate amount of tip as the trip provider must know the proper amount to tip...

Now, if I did something that was not part of the trip, say during free time if there were any, I would tip if appropriate...

Regent, and those types, should probably have a no tip policy, because without it, there will be "that kind of person" who proves how awesome they are by theatricality tipping at all times, making others feel uneasy because they took "all-inclusive" for what it should mean.

Several couples on our tour fit that mold. Loud voices (both), sucking up to the TD (women), hugging the guides (women), handing out $20 bills right and left (men).

Regent, and those types, should probably have a no tip policy, because without it, there will be "that kind of person" who proves how awesome they are by theatricality tipping at all times, making others feel uneasy because they took "all-inclusive" for what it should mean.

We are planning on a cruise next year, gratuities will be added to the cost already. I do not plan on paying any extra, unless a particular person made extra effort for my comfort, etc. Then I would directly give to them.
It would really bother me to hear that on a trip, especially daily. I would definitely give feedback on any survey.

Lately I've noticed that a lot of fast food places (meaning places where you stand in line to place an order, pay for it, and then pick it up when they call you) are using an iPad system to process orders. They turn the iPad over to you and ask you to sign it. The places I visit automatically select the 15% tip option and leave it up to me if I want to change it to "No tip" or something else.

To be honest I'm not even sure who I'm tipping. The person who rang up the order, the cook who assembled the food? I mean these are places where I bus my own table after I'm done eating. I always select No Tip and have no concerns about doing so. It's just another example of being asked to provide a tip for service you haven't even received (or in this case won't ever receive).

Couldn't agree more, and I've also noticed this recently in lots of "fast food" and quick-service restaurants. It's my understanding that all tips received from patrons are distributed among the staff, so you are in effect tipping everyone involved in your dining experience... such that it is. I generally leave no tip or at most a custom tip of $1 or 5%, depending on the level of service I'm anticipating.

Several couples on our tour fit that mold. Loud voices (both), sucking up to the TD (women), hugging the guides (women), handing out $20 bills right and left (men).

Hey - well they covered it for you!

Honestly, that unworthy thought did cross my mind! We didn't carry much cash anyway - enough to cover the TD's tip (which is not included), tips to drivers and such at either end of the trip, and various visa [-]cash grabs[/-] costs - so the extra tips we handed out actually cut into the TD's packet. Too bad!

Hey - well they covered it for you!

We purchased one off-tour activity, and tipped the people there. Their staff did not fail to remind us...:D They also soaked us for a thumb drive with video of the activity. We, and another couple, thought we heard "Five dollars" for the video. When we got the bill on our credit cards, it was forty-five dollars. Those tricky accents :D getcha every time.

Come on.... you should know that nobody is going to sell you a thumb drive for $5 even if it were empty.... you must be pulling my leg now...

My DW is also one who tips extra to the wait staff and room people... I think that the forced tip on the bill is enough.... I lose that argument...

BTW, she has been on many more cruises than I have...

Sometimes on a cruise we have had employees over hear something we like to eat and is not on the menu and they make it anyways. I got French onion soup one night. You bet that guy got a extra tip.

DW and I occasionally pour at wine tastings and wine events for our friends that own a winery. We do not receive any compensation although it has been offered several times. We have found that even if you do not have a tip jar, people will leave money. There have been several times that a customer has bought wine on a credit card and entered a tip. The owners of the winery will always tell us a few days later, that " there's $18 in tips" from last week that you need to pick up. I always tell them to donate to the next charity function that occurs at the winery. Some people just don't like keeping money in their pockets!

If I had any doubts, this certainly has turned me off to any further cruising. I'd rather cruise down the keys and deal with my marginal friends than a bunch of glorified beggers.

I have also noticed this at Papa John's - when I pick up a carryout order! They have pre-set tip % options on the credit card machine that you have to select before you swipe your card. Can't stand it. At least the employee walks away each time to avoid hovering over you while you select a tip. (spoiler alert: I always select "no tip")

1) I'd have felt put out if I went on this supposed all-inclusive tour, only to hear constant pitch to tip even more. I honestly do not know what I would have done, had I been in OP's position. Knowing me, at the beginning I likely would not have tipped. But if the trend was everyone tipping even more, I suspect I would have given in. And then, post a nasty review when I got home. Or, at least that's what I think would have happened. OP was put in a tough position.

2) Re: tips on mainstream cruises. Even though they are added each day, I do tip extra if we use the same waiter, our cabin steward, and even the bartender. Tips are added automatically to the bar bill, but by being a sport and adding a whopping extra dollar, the bartender treats me better for the rest of the cruise (= a drink with a legitimate full shot). By the end of the week, maybe I've spent an "extra" 30- 50 bucks. That's a drop in the bucket vs the cruise cost, but likely means a lot to the people I've taken care of.

Our DD was married this summer. We paid the reception hall in advance for hors d'oeuvres, dinner and open bar, including 18% gratuity on everything. I was very disappointed to then find a tip jar on the open bar when we went to the reception. I invited these people to celebrate my daughter's wedding and now they are solicited for tips that I have already paid for? :mad: Not wanting to create a scene, I didn't say anything to management, but DW and I did quietly let people know that the gratuity had already been taken care of and they should not feel any obligation to tip the staff. Some guests actually thought the tips would go toward offsetting our cost. I make sure to tell anyone asking about our experience with this vendor about this practice.

That almost makes you wonder if the 18% wasn't being shared fairly among the servers. They should not have made a "scene" if you simply asked to remove the jar, but of course you can never tell if they'll make a big fuss of "not understanding," and the guests are there and will see everything. Manipulative vendor. :mad:

Our DD was married this summer. We paid the reception hall in advance for hors d'oeuvres, dinner and open bar, including 18% gratuity on everything. I was very disappointed to then find a tip jar on the open bar when we went to the reception. I invited these people to celebrate my daughter's wedding and now they are solicited for tips that I have already paid for? :mad: Not wanting to create a scene, I didn't say anything to management, but DW and I did quietly let people know that the gratuity had already been taken care of and they should not feel any obligation to tip the staff. Some guests actually thought the tips would go toward offsetting our cost. I make sure to tell anyone asking about our experience with this vendor about this practice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom