All Time Favorite TV Series

My two all-time favorites by a long margin - Twilight Zone (original) and Night Gallery.

My current favorite by a long margin - Doc Martin.

The Sopranos, hands down my all-time favorite. Runner ups would be Mad Men and Six Feet Under.

Office (US version) is by far my favorite

Runner-ups;
Seinfeld
Frasier
Big Bang
M.A.S.H.

The Office

Fans of the original Star Trek might enjoy Star Trek Continues, a fan production that picks up where the original series left off. It looks professional and keeps to the style of the original series in all aspects. The 11 episodes are on youtube.

The best seem to have their day and then....
Some of my favorites, though they may not hold up well to time are:
Modern Family
Early episodes of Happy Days
Northern Exposure
The Office
Thirty Something
Survivor

Indeed, one of my faves from childhood (which might explain a lot).

Also,

Outer Limits
Night Stalker
X-Files
Lost
House
Sopranos
Pushing Daisies

and of course, Futurama

Yes on Futurama. And in addition to 'pushing daisies', Bryan Fuller also created Dead Like Me and Wonderfalls which were wonderful.

There are many shows I’ve enjoyed, but most run on too long, ending as mediocre instead of memorable. That’s one of the good things about Latin soap operas (telenovelas) - they end. La Esclava Isaura (Brazil, ‘76) was a real gem.

I enjoyed MASH immensely.

This is a tough one, so I'll try and keep it short...

Benson
Three's Company
Rockford Files
Fall Guy
The Office
Goldbergs
Stranger Things
Frasier
Newhart...best ending to a series, ever.

Ok...gotta stop. There are just too many.

I haven't been a loyal follower of any fictional TV series in ages, as reflected by my choices:
The Fugitive (maybe because my parents let me stay up late to watch it?)
[original] Twilight Zone
Seinfeld

For many years now I generally watch Science Channel, History Channel and others in that ilk.

I'd have to agree with 90% of shows listed here (esp Sopranos, Lost, House, NCIS, and many of the older sitcoms).

Surprised Friends hasn't come up yet, though. I can watch those re-runs anytime, anywhere.

Outlander - agree with above poster

Vera (British)
Top of the Lake (Australian)
Handmaid's Tale
The Bridge - Swedish version by far the best
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - all 3 (Swedish)
Endeavor (British) - the young Inspector Morse
Shetland (British)
Foyle's War (British)
East West 1010 (Australian)
Case Histories (British) Jason Issac
Sherlock (British) both the Jeremy Brett series and the Cumberbatch series
Prime Suspect (British) Helen Mirren

The Brokenwood Mysteries from New Zealand

And, how could I forget The Wire?

Last edited:
Agree with many of the ones already given. Several favorites I had forgotten all about.

My additions:

The Unit (the original opening music was a cadence which I think is so cool)

Friday Night Lights ("Texas Forever, Six")

Hill Street Blues was another enjoyable TV show

So many that have already been listed.
Another few:
St Elsewhere (that snow globe ending!)
Marcus Welby MD
Hawaii 5-0 (original one)
Quincy M.E.
Little House on the Prairie
Bonanza
Taxi (early ones)
Ed Sullivan Show

Agree with many of the ones already given. Several favorites I had forgotten all about.

My additions:

The Unit (the original opening music was a cadence which I think is so cool)

Friday Night Lights ("Texas Forever, Six")

Totally forgot about The Unit. Totally agree - that was some incredibly good TV, and Patriotic to boot - made you proud to be an American and a bit nostalgic for how our country used to be. Great stories, characters, acting and directing. Remember the "bullet box" episode? Riveting and seared into my memory - intense. Too bad the show only lasted 4 (if I remember right) seasons. Own them all on DVD.

ETA - Dennis Haysbert will FOREVER be Snake Doc - a role he was born to play. Have seen him in some other things since (including a Hallmark "Hall of Fame" movie - awful, and we normally like the Hallmark flicks), and it just hasn't worked. Guess he can always continue to do Allstate ads..

Last edited:
For the year or two that is was on TV (2003-2005), before it was cancelled, I thought Joan of Arcadia was hands down the best series I had ever seen and I was absolutely crazy about it. What I liked was the way it explored deep spiritual matters that other shows didn't dare touch with a 10 foot pole, and did so without shoving any particular religion down the viewer's throat. To me, it was absolutely riveting.

But like all good TV series, after two seasons it was cancelled. (OK, Star Trek made it to 3 seasons).

It's not on Netflix or Amazon Prime, but last year, much to my glee, I discovered some episodes on YouTube. It had been 13 years since I had seen even one episode of it. I guess I changed, because I watched an episode and TBH, it seemed trivial and stupid, and did nothing for me. So much for Joan of Arcadia.

The same happened to me with House Hunters. It used to be a favorite show of mine, before I cut the cable several years ago. When I found some episodes of it online recently, I wondered how I could ever have enjoyed wasting my time watching it.

One I would watch again and again is Justified.

Back in the ‘80s DH and I were glued to the TV for a guilty pleasure: Knots Landing, a night time soap with no redeeming value :LOL:. No one we knew watched it.

The same happened to me with House Hunters. It used to be a favorite show of mine, before I cut the cable several years ago. When I found some episodes of it online recently, I wondered how I could ever have enjoyed wasting my time watching it.

I enjoyed HH the most in the early years when it focused on Spanish, bungalow, older more charming ranch, and Victorian or turn of the century (usually Pasedena which was being gentrified) homes in LA. The buyers were more likely to sacrifice move in ready for good neighborhood and good bones. Buyers were often young couples who actually wanted a cosmetic fixer upper to stretch their budget. And not having a big walk in closet, master bath, and open concept kitchen/living area were not deal breakers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom