Allocation Assignment

Flieger

Recycles dryer sheets
I am putting together end of year allocation distribution info in anticipation of doing some re-allocations. I am interested in where others put certain ETF's, etc in their allocation assignment and why? Specifically:

FTCO
DX
TSLY
WDI

Thanks for thoughts on this.

Flieger

FTCO and TSLY to me are Other, DX is Real Estate, and WDI is fixed income.

I put those in a trash because they are trash.

Hmmm. Interesting. I guess I did ask for any input.

I was looking more for Stocks/Bonds-Other/Short Term-Cash allocation, but your new category is noted

Flieger

Sorry I was trying to be direct to the point.
What would one call WDI with expense ratio of 2.98% and 2.5 year return of -29%?

Last edited:
What would one call WDI with expense ratio of 2.98% and 2.5 year return of -29%?
Corporate bond fund.

Ok, thanks, but I didn't ask what you thought of my holdings.

I haven't held (any) for 1 year, much less 2. Had $12k of Divs in December of which those listed were a large contributor.

These are what I was considering as "Income" part of allocation, just checking what others think as far as allocation placement.

Flieger

What if it has a yield of 13% and leverage of 40%? Leveraged Corporate Junk Bond fund?
Check with OP about his categories. Just trying to be friendly to OP and his question.

Ok, thanks, but I didn't ask what you thought of my holdings.

I haven't held (any) for 1 year, much less 2. Had $12k of Divs in December of which those listed were a large contributor.

These are what I was considering as "Income" part of allocation, just checking what others think as far as allocation placement.

Flieger
I would call it income, but bond income is clearer, at least to me

Do you have stock income too?

Thanks. I actually looked at WDI based on some discussions in another thread here. :)

I assume you are referring to Bond Income for WDI? I was thinking TSLY might fall in to Stock Income as it is Options Play on TSLA?

I really am not looking at the expense ratio for short term holds like this, just what I am earning monthly. I'll ask you, do you think I am missing something with that thought process?

Flieger

I agree. Correct name for those types of Bond fund is Leveraged Junk Bonds.

One can certainly make good money in them as well as lose money in them. It is a risky investment. In times of declining FED rates they may pay off.

Thanks for responses. I think I have decided these belong in Bond Income category. Since these are not "hold" items and I move to other high div investments, I'll consider they roll between that and short term/cash category.

Flieger

Thanks. I actually looked at WDI based on some discussions in another thread here. :)

I assume you are referring to Bond Income for WDI? I was thinking TSLY might fall in to Stock Income as it is Options Play on TSLA?

I really am not looking at the expense ratio for short term holds like this, just what I am earning monthly. I'll ask you, do you think I am missing something with that thought process?

Flieger
I have very boring investments, so not much of an expert. But when new funds come up in discussions I head to Morningstar or Yahoo Finance to get a broad picture of what this "thing" really consists of, and what others might discuss about it. So I'll look for an article by a respected author or publication, and chew on that.

Yes, TSLY sounds like stock. YieldMax TSLA Option Income Strategy ETF TSLY https://www.morningstar.com/etfs/arcx/tsly/quote

It's life is very short, so that makes me really nervous. That's opinion, and not based on any special knowledge I have.

Yes, TSLY sounds like stock. YieldMax TSLA Option Income Strategy ETF TSLY https://www.morningstar.com/etfs/arcx/tsly/quote

It's life is very short, so that makes me really nervous. That's opinion, and not based on any special knowledge I have.

I'm trying to figure out what to do with TSLY, definitely not a buy and hold as I see it, but it's given good Div's for a while. I had TSLL (1.5 Bull) and FNGU (#X Bull) but both of those had too much volatility for me.

All of these are plays I do with ~10% in Tax Deferred part of Retirement Portfolio.

At some point I have to put together a "safer" Income Portfolio Plan, but that's maybe a couple of years away.

Flieger

I'm trying to figure out what to do with TSLY, definitely not a buy and hold as I see it, but it's given good Div's for a while. I had TSLL (1.5 Bull) and FNGU (#X Bull) but both of those had too much volatility for me.

All of these are plays I do with ~10% in Tax Deferred part of Retirement Portfolio.

At some point I have to put together a "safer" Income Portfolio Plan, but that's maybe a couple of years away.

Flieger
There's no magic. It sounds like some funds I've invested in that were just giving me back my investment. No growth in the shares, in other words, so why risk with that? Just me thinking out loud.

If you have long term gains this year, maybe offset some with selling these shares, which I assume are negative for the year.

I'm not playing in deferred accounts, just in taxable, to generate enough to pay a real estate tax bill.

I recently simplified things.

36% of our portfolio is allocated to AAPL
The rest is allocated to MGK.

I keep VERY little in cash. 15k from week to week maybe, with another 30k 0% interest credit lines available through various credit cards and balance transfer offers if $hit really hit the fan I could start with a little balance transfer game for a 18 months until markets improved and I needed to withdraw...

BUT

Thankfully we are still in accumulation phase of investing with 8 to 10 more years of WORK to go before I/FIRECalc feel > 95% confident in our plan.

SOO I am riding the AAPL wave baby! Let's go!

I recently simplified things....

Thankfully we are still in accumulation phase of investing with 8 to 10 more years of WORK to go before I/FIRECalc feel > 95% confident in our plan.

SOO I am riding the AAPL wave baby! Let's go!

I'm thinking I am 4-5 years away from pulling the ejection bar. Not really ER for me as I will be 65 which is necessary for insurance purposes, but I learn so much in this forum I hang out anyway. :)

I feel like I can still be a little aggressive, for maybe 2-3 years, and then it's plan for income time. Part of what I am doing now is looking at income, just at a significantly higher Div rate (with higher risk, of course), but only with a smaller portion of my portfolio.

Flieger

Back
Top Bottom