Allocation Changes for 2006

BUM

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm wrestling with allocation changes for 2006. I'd like more exposure to international equities (VINEX still closed), foreign bonds, private equity, and health care. Maybe some others.

Staying the course, I can't think of anything I want to dump. VGSIX, VIPSX, VWEHX, PCRIX among others are up for rebalancing but certainly not candidates for the block.

a`la ESRBob's book, I'm definately the Full Monty type.

Anyone else hot to slice up the pizza broaden their allocation for 2006? What do you like?

I just reduced my allocation to international equities by a few percentage points and increased short term bond exposure and large caps. My international stuff had run up quite nicely last year so I rebalanced a bit. I have found that I am usually early with these changes, but eventually I am glad I made them.

Grumpy

I've already made the big changes I wanted to make, namely selling off some small caps and buying PCRDX, EFA and GIM (~30% of port in aggregate). I need to sell some more small caps and buy some bonds, but I am reluctant to do so unless I am offered an attractive price at which to sell.

I added to PCRIX and the Vanguard Intl Fund or VTRIX - I still find foreign attractive on a valuation basis despite the nice returns. I have 25% or so of my portfolio in intl funds.

Went to a modified 10x10, ala Ben, late spring last year, with the intent of ignoring it for the most part...

GLD up 28%, VGPMX up 50%, VEIEX up 37%...

Thinking about taking some profit, even though on a global basis my percentages aren't too far out of whack.

Cash for some bargain shopping?

Late last year I backed off a little on energy. I'm pretty heavy on international funds and sticking with that for the time being. And, this year, I'll be increasing our fixed income investments.

Well its not specificly targeted at 2006, more because of revising AA based on age but I have shifted my TSP (401k type) funds into a Lifecycle Fund. The AA gets periodically adjusted by the fund and I can go on "autopilot".

wildcat said:
I added to PCRIX and the Vanguard Intl Fund or VTRIX - I still find foreign attractive on a valuation basis despite the nice returns.  I have 25% or so of my portfolio in intl funds.

Hey Bubba, hows the job search going?

grumpy said:
I just reduced my allocation to international equities by a few percentage points and increased short term bond exposure and large caps. My international stuff had run up quite nicely last year so I rebalanced a bit. I have found that I am usually early with these changes, but eventually I am glad I made them.

Me too, for all the above. :)
I still prefer foreign to US, but was too overweight foreign, so the runup was good chance not just to rebalance, but as W Bernstein might say, "over-rebalance" out of foreign, and into short bonds, TIPS, and US large cap BRLIX.
Still not done with all the changes, which started in mid-December. I like to take my time.

Simple here. I re-balance once a year around Jan 1 (this weekend as a matter of fact):

35% large cap index
20% mid cap index
15% small cap index
10% REIT index
10% overseas index
10% cash (short and medium term only)

Thinking about moving up to 15% overseas. I may do this next year.

Back
Top Bottom