Also hit my significant milestone today!

At 3.54 now. It’s been a very volatile time with literally the fate of the world hanging in the balance. Stay safe everyone.

We are at 3.1 now, thankful for what we have. Wishing everyone a happy new year and a good new year!

Happy New Year, to you, as well. Any update on your expected ER date? You were looking to ER in 10 years when you started this thread....nearly 10 years ago :)

At 3.85M now. Happy thanksgiving everyone.

Illinois has an estate tax of 16% on estates exceeding $4m. And the tax isn't on the amount exceeding $4m - the tax is 16% of the whole estate.

Don't know if you know that, but you're heading into a financial situation where you should do some estate planning.

Early 40s celebrating retroactively on Veterans Day this year:

$1M net worth with >75% in non-real estate investments!

Had a cigar, a whiskey neat and meal-prepped for the next week at work.

Thank you to all the folks who post informative, motivating ideas on this forum. You're helping in ways you don't even realize!

Early 40s celebrating retroactively on Veterans Day this year:

$1M net worth with >75% in non-real estate investments!

Had a cigar, a whiskey neat and meal-prepped for the next week at work.

Thank you to all the folks who post informative, motivating ideas on this forum. You're helping in ways you don't even realize!
Congrats!

This is truly an amazing site and group of folks!

Illinois has an estate tax of 16% on estates exceeding $4m. And the tax isn't on the amount exceeding $4m - the tax is 16% of the whole estate.

Don't know if you know that, but you're heading into a financial situation where you should do some estate planning.

In our early 40’s We are young enough that hopefully we have many years ahead to enjoy this accumulation.

At 4.06M now. Maybe the last post of the year as we are heading out for vacation next week. Happy holidays everyone! May Mr market be kind next year as well!

At 4.3 M now. Happy new year to everyone!

Very nice. Much more than many folks here who have been retired for several years. Of course, we're all different, so we must all follow our own plans. Just remember to enjoy the journey.:cool:

Very nice. Much more than many folks here who have been retired for several years. Of course, we're all different, so we must all follow our own plans. Just remember to enjoy the journey.:cool:

Umm yeah, perhaps the joy of continuous congrats is the driver.:cool:

So what is your target number? You have been very diligent over the past 10 years.

So what is your target number? You have been very diligent over the past 10 years.

I need to figure that out. Mortgage still there. Two young kids still 8 years away from college. Chronic health conditions that mean I should have a good private health insurance plan figured out before letting go of the corporate one. And BS bucket at work not full yet.

At 4.41 M yet. Bonuses hit next month. Just found out that work allows a mega backdoor Roth. So will try and do that this year.

Seems way past you original thoughts. Many things change as life happens. Are your investments at $4.1m or your net worth. Sorry to hear of the chronic health condition. When we are younger we all feel we are invincible, that sure changes. At least for me it did, I am still working for a couple more years. $2.2mm investments and $4.2m Net Worth,

Seems way past you original thoughts. Many things change as life happens. Are your investments at $4.1m or your net worth. Sorry to hear of the chronic health condition. When we are younger we all feel we are invincible, that sure changes. At least for me it did, I am still working for a couple more years. $2.2mm investments and $4.2m Net Worth,

Yes for sure. My original targets and estimations were naive and honestly seemed a bit of a stretch. Now as time passes hopefully getting more educated and more precise in narrowing down on what I would need to retire.

The number I give are all liquid assets.

Those figures suggest quite a large (or at least expensive) house. While I wouldn't call the house an investment, you certainly have some flexibility in your FIRE date if the house can be exchanged for a less expensive one in order to increase the investment stash. Just a thought as YMMV.

More than once, here on the FIRE Forums, we've asked the question "What % of your NW is your house?" I don't recall a response near 50% but my memory isn't what it used to be. Nothing "right or wrong" about that, but, again, I see an expensive house as at least an option to FIRE earlier under the right circumstances.

Last edited:
At 4.41 M yet. Bonuses hit next month. Just found out that work allows a mega backdoor Roth. So will try and do that this year.

Also found out my work does a mega backdoor roth. I found out too late for 2023 but I'm all in for 2024. Though I suspect it will be on the chopping block by 2025 when new tax legislation is finally passed.

Edit: Oops, of course I meant to post this on the Share your FIRE milestones thread. I guess I will copy/paste it there.

After the recent surge in equities, I took a look at my assets. My raw numbers are still down a little (1.8%) from their all-time high at the end of 2021. (But consider that I have spent about 5% of my stash during those two years.)

Then I recalled that I have done a fair amount of Roth conversions. I also calculate a tax-adjusted number, which requires a guess at the rate the funds will come out at. My tax-adjusted total is now at an all-time high, by 4.5%. :dance:

Of course, I understand that inflation has diminished my purchasing power to probably a larger extent.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom