Amazon alternatives - 2018

Just keep in mind when buying from a China based vendor that ships from China if you have a problem and need to return something that it isn't as easy as from a USA based vendor since you have to deal with customs.

Agree and the China stuff can sometimes be design infringements. I just don't like to support vendors like that.

Thanks for sharing your experience with Ali-Express. Yes my main interest would be electronics and hobby stuff. I take it you use the app? Their website last time I tried wasn't loading in Chrome properly and they were pushing their app for a better shopping experience but I haven't tried it yet (for security concerns to be honest, the phones have tons of personal data these days, locations, pics, home/work routes etc etc).

I use the web based store, not a fan of "an app for this, an app for that". For me, the beauty of the web is that it is a more generic approach. Some things do require an app though.

Just keep in mind when buying from a China based vendor that ships from China if you have a problem and need to return something that it isn't as easy as from a USA based vendor since you have to deal with customs.

Generally, the stuff I buy is so cheap that if I got something defective, I'd probably chalk it up to the cost of doing business. So far, the only issue I've had was I just bought 100 capacitors, 0.1 uF and they measure on the low side, a little more than half their rated value. I would not be surprised if they were from a reject batch. For the price I paid (looked it up - $0.76 with shipping! - this was ebay, not AliExpress), I'll just use 2 of them if I actually need something close to 0.1uF.

-ERD50

My problem with all these other sites it that I have to absolutely verify that they will ship via FedEx or UPS. Sometimes they will ship USPS even after I have told them USPS does not ship to my address. After a lot of work on my part I have Amazon trained to only ship via FedEx or UPS. I do have to be careful to only purchase items that are shipped by Amazon. Home Depot has been pretty good about only using UPS, but I usually only buy stuff from them that is too heavy to be shipped by USPS.
I used to have the same problem, especially when my home address apparently was in another zip code from my mailing address (a Rural Route box), but now they are the same. I include both addresses. But if your mailing address has a different zip and town, I can understand the problem. If you've figured out how to get Amazon to do it, good for you. I never could, but I've stopped trying since I don't need to.

eBay is my go to marketplace other than Amazon, I’ll order from Walmart and any local grocer offering coupons. I just ordered rice and kitty litter for my mom cheaper than I could get it at a store

Yes, I love tenniswarehouse.com. Great deals and good quality on all tennis rackets, string, shoes, etc. never have used runningwarehouse.com but will give it a try.
I should disclose my tricks for getting even better prices on runningwarehouse.com.

Members of my running club get a 15% discount on most everything, except for some clearance sales, plus a couple of manufacturers don't allow them. I forget which ones but I don't buy their shoes anyway. I can't and won't give out the discount code, as it's not allowed and could lead to the club losing the deal.

In November, they over deals on gift cars: Buy $100, get a $25 card, with other similar denominations. Easy to use, you have a card # and unique code with each, and apply it to the payment. I keep track with a spreadsheet. So I get another 20% off.

So that works out to be about 1/3 off already good prices, or at worst MSRP. And if you follow them on facebook they often give an extra 10% off sales.

2 day free shipping, and I've rarely had it take an extra day. Easy return policy, just don't abuse it.

Back
Top Bottom