Amazon Prime 5% cash back cc

I was bumped up to 5% on Amazon Prime purchases like everyone else with the Chase Amazon Visa card, and it just occurred to me that maybe I am getting that on my Prime Pantry purchases too?

That would be so amazingly cool to get a 5% discount on groceries like that. I haven't checked to see if that is happening or not, mostly because I don't know how. Guess I should nose around Amazon and the Chase Visa site and see if I can figure it out.

I like getting the discount as an Amazon credit, because to me that is fun money to blow on whatever I want. Good judgment goes out the window; even though it is technically just extra money that I could spend more wisely than I do, still always think "Wow, I got this for free!!!" when I use it. I can't think of a better treat than buying useless stuff and thinking it was free. :ROFLMAO: I know, I know, it's all marketing but I am such a sucker for it.

I prefer statement credit for "cash back". The Amazon Store card does that, so I will continue to use it even though I am getting 5% points now on my Amazon VISA card from Chase.

The only gotcha on the Amazon Store card is to make sure they don't select deferred interest instead of the 5% statement credit for purchases >$149. If that happens by accident, they will correct it for you if you call Synchrony.

OK, I just logged in on the Chase credit card site and discovered that I have been getting 3% off on my Amazon Pantry purchases all along, so they will be 5% off now. :dance: This is amazing. For some reason, I thought Pantry purchases would be excluded.

I also read that if we ever get Amazon Fresh, it is 5% off too.

I signed up and was instantly approved. Only a $50 gift card, which I received immediately. Will probably only use the card on amazon, but I hear the card itself is metal?

OK, I contacted both Chase & Amazon to confirm the details, and it's not a flat 5% back on all Amazon purchases.
There are caveats, specifically:

5% back on all orders fulfilled by Amazon. That includes of course prime products and services, but not all products purchased through amazon are fulfilled by them.

If you purchase on Amazon from a third party seller, or purchase a product that is not fulfilled by Amazon, it's only 3% back.

Still, it's a bump up from their previous reward program, and a pretty good deal. I like that they automatically updated my rewards to the new level without me having to take any action.

Last edited:
OK, I contacted both Chase & Amazon to confirm the details, and it's not a flat 5% back on all Amazon purchases.
There are caveats, specifically:

5% back on all orders fulfilled by Amazon. That includes of course prime products and services, but not all products purchased through amazon are fulfilled by them.

If you purchase on Amazon from a third party seller, or purchase a product that is not fulfilled by Amazon, it's only 3% back.

Interesting! The [-]doublespeak[/-] description on the Amazon website description of the new Amazon Visa arrangement, where it says,
5% Back at Amazon.com
You earn 5% Back on Amazon.com purchases with an eligible Prime membership (otherwise you earn 3% Back), including digital downloads, Amazon.com Gift Cards, Amazon Fresh orders, Amazon Prime subscriptions, and items sold by third-party merchants through Amazon.com's
marketplace.
is hard for me to understand, so thanks.

Last edited:
The "and items sold by third-party merchants through Amazon.com's marketplace" is there way of saying "only stuff fulfilled by Amazon counts I think.

The "and items sold by third-party merchants through Amazon.com's marketplace" is there way of saying "only stuff fulfilled by Amazon counts I think.

No, think it's more general than that, otherwise they would specify fulfilled by Amazon.

OK, so trying not to muddy the waters here, but after I saw W2R's post about 3rd party sellers included in the 5% back, I decided to contact Amazon again (I am retired after all so have the time :LOL:).
This time in a chat with customer service they said ALL purchases through amazon.com with the card WILL get the 5% back. I even attached a third party product listing that was not fulfilled by Amazon, and she said it WAS eligible for 5% back. So in summary, I've had one service rep tell me it wasn't, and another tell me it was...:confused: go figure. At least the one that told me it would apply is in writing.

Last edited:
Mine says with two asterisks...."Subject to Credit approval". Problem is, I have my credit reports frozen so they can't check my credit. Just got the card, they approved me initially without checking credit...so not sure what will happen when they can't check my credit. Got $50 off on first order with it, so that's good.

We don't really care about our credit score too much anymore...as it's likely we won't be getting loans for anything unless it's 0% interest on a car loan. House is paid for.

Mine says with two asterisks...."Subject to Credit approval". Problem is, I have my credit reports frozen so they can't check my credit. Just got the card, they approved me initially without checking credit...so not sure what will happen when they can't check my credit. Got $50 off on first order with it, so that's good.

We don't really care about our credit score too much anymore...as it's likely we won't be getting loans for anything unless it's 0% interest on a car loan. House is paid for.

Do you already have a Chase account? If so, they can already check your credit regardless if it's frozen or not.

Edit: I can confirm that with frozen credit, it will still "approve" if you have a Chase account. Oddly enough, my initial credit limit is $750. I haven't had a credit limit that low in a VERY long time. I suppose that since I already have in the neighborhood of $150K of available credit cards (including an initial $32,000 on the Chase Sapphire Reserve I got a few months ago) they are getting smart in *not* extending a large line of credit.

Last edited:
Do you already have a Chase account? If so, they can already check your credit regardless if it's frozen or not.

Edit: I can confirm that with frozen credit, it will still "approve" if you have a Chase account. Oddly enough, my initial credit limit is $750. I haven't had a credit limit that low in a VERY long time. I suppose that since I already have in the neighborhood of $150K of available credit cards (including an initial $32,000 on the Chase Sapphire Reserve I got a few months ago) they are getting smart in *not* extending a large line of credit.
No, I deal only with local credit unions/banks on most of our accounts, so I can deal with them on a personal level when issues come up. I hate large banks like Citi, Chase, SunTrust, etc.

Amazon just partnered with Chase Bank and is now offering to Prime members a cc with 5% cash back with all Amazon purchases, 2% cash back on gas, drug store and restaurants, and 1% everything else. PLUS a $70 store credit upon approval. No foreign fees on travel overseas also.

Thank you very much! :)

_B

Hesitant to get yet another credit card but the 5% is appealing. The application process took about 1-2 minutes and I was approved with a $5000 limit. They automatically make it your default prime account card. Guess we'll see how this works.

Oddly enough, my initial credit limit is $750. I haven't had a credit limit that low in a VERY long time. I suppose that since I already have in the neighborhood of $150K of available credit cards (including an initial $32,000 on the Chase Sapphire Reserve I got a few months ago) they are getting smart in *not* extending a large line of credit.

Strange how that works - I now have three Chase cards, the first is a Disney Visa that I never use with a $7500 limit that has never increased, the second is an IHG Rewards Visa that I only use for hotel stays and that one came with a $32,000 credit limit, now this Amazon card that also came with a $7500 limit.

I also got a $70 gift card - between that and the 5% it saved me $85 on an order last night.

Hesitant to get yet another credit card but the 5% is appealing.

That's about where I am on it too. I just got the Chase Blue Sapphire card maybe six months ago for their rewards point system, now I'm thinking about the Amazon Prime one. Sigh, decisions, decisions.

First world problem.

Note that the bump up to 5% for Prime members may not be automatic. It wasn't for me. I had to manually go into my Amazon account and change my settings. Here's what Chase said in the email:

To see if you earn 3% Back or 5% Back on Amazon.com purchases:
• Visit amazon.com/youraccount;
• Click "Manage Payment Options" under the "Payment Methods" section; and
• Expand the details of your Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card to see how much you are earning on Amazon.com purchases. If your Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card is earning 3% Back on Amazon.com purchases and you have an eligible Prime membership, you can learn how to verify your card and earn 5% Back on Amazon.com purchases.

Anyone know if the $70 Amazon gift card credit that comes with the Prime card is only a one-time thing for new cardholders?

Note that the bump up to 5% for Prime members may not be automatic. It wasn't for me. I had to manually go into my Amazon account and change my settings. Here's what Chase said in the email:

Anyone know if the $70 Amazon gift card credit that comes with the Prime card is only a one-time thing for new cardholders?
Mine was automatic, and following the instructions you provided it says 5%. I had no idea until today.

As for the $70, my perception is that it is the incentive for applying and getting the Amazon VISA card, and if so it is a one time thing. I think I got an even higher incentive when I signed up several years back. It does change from time to time IIRC.

As for the $70, my perception is that it is the incentive for applying and getting the Amazon VISA card, and if so it is a one time thing. I think I got an even higher incentive when I signed up several years back. It does change from time to time IIRC.

I suspected as much. Thanks for clarifying.

Anyone know if both people on the prime account can use this card?

My husband uses my Amazon Store card on his account (which shares my prime membership) and also gets 5%, so I don't know why the second person wouldn't get the benefit using the prime owner's card. I guess you'll have to try it.

Otherwise sharing the same store card is an option - just make sure the prime member gets the card.

I got the 30-day 'maybe' response. Oh well :(

Given that I'm in my last year of work, and already having more line of credit than I could ever possibly need, I'm not worried. I get 5% back from Amazon w/ my Synchrony card and 1.5% back on all purchases w/ my Schwab AmEx. Works for me :)

Back
Top Bottom