Amazon recent delivery delays and loss of packages

teetee

Full time employment: Posting here.
I thought three of my recent delivery issues before the Amazon laidoff (two packages ended up canceling and one was routed via DHL, relabeled and no access to tracking that, 2 wk late) wer isolated incidents but the article below suggested otherwise:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterc...k-cut-in-half-as-customer-satisfaction-falls/

Aliexpress on the other hand, improved their 1mo+ delivery time to two weeks for my packages.

Not sure what is going on here.

Last edited:
I will tell you what's going on....AMZN sucks. Well, at least that has been my experience over the last few months. Nothing on time. Broken items. Poorly packaged. I hear lots of talking heads yammer on about "labor shortages!" but I have been buying more and more from Wal Mart and have had very good luck with them so far.

I guess I should be happy that AMZN is only 3% of the VTSAX.

Last edited:
I’ve had consistent problems with almost all my packages within the last couple of years. Whether they come USPS, UPS, Amazon or FedEx.
I can’t do much about USPS, but I signed up for package redirecting at FedEx - it’s free and UPS - it’s $19.99 a year and now all my packages go to a station I designate. No more waiting around to sign for something or have it sit on our porch.
The FedEx redirect requires you to manually change each package. UPS does it automatically to a UPS store near us.
It makes life a little easier.

Recently I've found Amazon to be extremely good whether they are delivering or they pass it to USPS or UPS.

I most always get 2 day delivery, and a good portion of the time overnight.

Then again, we have 4 or 5 Fullfilment Centers and 2 or 3 Distribution Centers within maybe a 15 mile radius.

Yes, AliExpress has been delivering way before the promised date.

I don't pay for Amazon Prime, but also got delivery sooner than promised. It's 4 days instead of 1 week. The last order was just 2 days ago.

My Sam's Club order was handled by Fed Ex. Also fast delivery, but to my neighbor's door. He brought it over.

No problems with Amazon. On time deliveries and packages are intact. I have had a couple of damaged deliveries in the past 5 years, they were returned and refunded in full.

Note that so far the layoffs at Amazon are only in corporate and tech areas, like Alexa, so not related to retail/warehouse/delivery. And 10K people is only 0.6% of their workforce per the link.

No problems here, and we do a lot of Amazon orders. I did have one package "handed to resident" per Amazon, but it wasn't me. I guess it was a neighbor, because it showed up in my mailbox the next day. Neighbors around here are pretty good about things like that.

When you think of all that can go wrong, it's surprising more orders aren't lost, damaged or delayed.

I have also noticed Ali shipments from China are back to their pre-supply-chain-issue delivery times. I assume there's no longer a backlog of ships to be unloaded, since I haven't read anything about that in the press, either main stream or the marine trade magazines I get.

I most always get 2 day delivery, and a good portion of the time overnight.

I don't pay for Amazon Prime, but also got delivery sooner than promised.

No problems with Amazon. On time deliveries and packages are intact.

No problems here, and we do a lot of Amazon orders.
Lately my Amazon deliveries have been arriving earlier than expected with some consistency, and this pleases me! Two day delivery seems to be the norm these days.

So, maybe it depends on where you live? Who knows.

No issues/problems here either, and we order something from Amazon at least a couple times a month.

I had a package supposed to be delivered today. Got an email from Amazon that a problem occurred during delivery and it is undeliverable. and they will refund me in 3-5 days. Oh well I guess I need to find a different vendor.

I have the problem right now. We ordered 2 Zero gravity which were prime guarentee delivery yesterday-- had a tracking notice from Fedex for delivery by end of day--nope didn't happen. Just got a new delivery notice new delivery date of 11/25 by 8pm. Will it happen who knows Fedex+UPS+USPS= FEDUP! Pay more for prime and still get sucky delivery service. Also I have a Keurig sitting on my front porch that was supposed to have been picked up 11/10. Had a notice sitting on it that they would try 3 more times. Nope no more tries, I contacted Keurig and they said they would handle it, & it would be picked up 11/15 nope did't happen, I contacted UPS and gave the nice hard to understand barely speaky English lady that it would be picked up next day, which was 11/18, nope it is still sitting in same place on my porch!!

I will tell you what's going on....AMZN sucks. Well, at least that has been my experience over the last few months. Nothing on time. Broken items. Poorly packaged. I hear lots of talking heads yammer on about "labor shortages!" but I have been buying more and more from Wal Mart and have had very good luck with them so far.

I guess I should be happy that AMZN is only 3% of the VTSAX.

Amazon used to be great with Prime 2 day shipping, now I pay for prime and never get anything in two days. Never, is not an exaggeration. Some of the delay could be our local post office, I have seen in tracking an item was delivered to our post office, but I have had 4 days between delivery to the my local post office and my home.

As far as packaging, On my last order I received a box with two items, there was no packing in the box, just the two items able to bounce and rattle around inside the box. It was fine as both items were in there own original box, but it just seems like a little to much cost cutting.
The financial guru I listened to for year said no more that 4% in one stock, Vanguard it violating that advice with over 6% in Apple and 4.5% in Microsoft.

I had a package supposed to be delivered today. Got an email from Amazon that a problem occurred during delivery and it is undeliverable. and they will refund me in 3-5 days. Oh well I guess I need to find a different vendor.
I had an "undeliverable" package this summer with the same 3-5 days refund note. After ~ 2 weeks with no refund, I sent a message to vendor asking if I needed to just challenge the charge with my cc company. I got my refund a couple of day later, so I would watch it and make sure they actually refund your accocunt.

Amazon used to be great with Prime 2 day shipping, now I pay for prime and never get anything in two days. Never, is not an exaggeration. Some of the delay could be our local post office, I have seen in tracking an item was delivered to our post office, but I have had 4 days between delivery to the my local post office and my home.

As far as packaging, On my last order I received a box with two items, there was no packing in the box, just the two items able to bounce and rattle around inside the box. It was fine as both items were in there own original box, but it just seems like a little to much cost cutting.
The financial guru I listened to for year said no more that 4% in one stock, Vanguard it violating that advice with over 6% in Apple and 4.5% in Microsoft.

Ah, the packaging. That has been a joke recently, as well. They are starting to use envelopes more and more and packing items that have no business being shipped that way. I ordered an industrial size of hot cocoa mix (its original package is a bag) and they shipped it in an envelope and of course...it was busted wide open and there was cocoa dust scattered to the four winds (and our porch) when it was delivered.

I hardly ever have issues and I have orders arriving at least weekly:

I use subscribe/save, but there have been more frequent availability issues the past year.
Not all Prime is 2 day, but it usually tells me that in advance on the item/cart pages, so I know when it's going to be 3-5
Niche items, where they don't keep stock in every state, let alone every FC, are always going to take longer
Remember anything shipped from a 3rd party is likely not Prime or fast, because UPS ground takes 5 days to go across the country, and USPS is the only way most businesses can afford to ship small items (especially since most people still want "free" shipping, so the business is eating that $5)

On the flip side, I've found plenty of times lately to get next day, or same day, or tomorrow by 7am, when ordering over $25 of amazon items.

No complaints here.

I hardly ever have issues and I have orders arriving at least weekly:

I use subscribe/save, but there have been more frequent availability issues the past year.
Not all Prime is 2 day, but it usually tells me that in advance on the item/cart pages, so I know when it's going to be 3-5
Niche items, where they don't keep stock in every state, let alone every FC, are always going to take longer
Remember anything shipped from a 3rd party is likely not Prime or fast, because UPS ground takes 5 days to go across the country, and USPS is the only way most businesses can afford to ship small items (especially since most people still want "free" shipping, so the business is eating that $5)

On the flip side, I've found plenty of times lately to get next day, or same day, or tomorrow by 7am, when ordering over $25 of amazon items.

No complaints here.

Have you noticed issues with pricing with the S&S? I finally cancelled all of them after they quadrupled the prices of HVAC filters.

Also, most of my orders are Prime eligible (and usually fulfilled by AMZN) for the 5% cash back so most are delivered by AMZN directly (well sort of, since most of the AMZN branded delivery services are actually 3rd party contractors) and not UPS or USPS. I have also had 3 orders in the last two months were straight up cancelled for some reason or another.

I really, REALLY want to like/use AMZN. All our smart devices are Alexa. My music is through AMZN. We have two FireTVs in our home. I was all in on AMZN and at one time held quite a bit of stock. I have former AF colleagues who are warehouse managers and senior managers. Nonetheless, I have not been a happy customer in a while and would like to see them make some much needed improvements.

Out of about 60 Amazon orders placed in the last 6 months, we have only had 3 problems with Amazon deliveries.

One was a prime 2 day that was late, but at least the day it was delivered the status changed to "this will be late". I came in on the day the updated status changed it to.

DW had one that was late, with the status "if it does not arrive by XX day you can cancel and request a refund". She did. Then it showed up on XX day + 2. She called them to cancel the refund request, they told her "don't worry about it, keep it as a gift".

Last week I ordered a set of USB drives, what showed up in the package was a set of coloring pencils. Requested a replacement, and dropped off the wrong item at the UPS store for return. Correct replacement arrived 2 days later.

I'm not ready to go nuclear on them. They are still better than the post office, in my view. But that might not be saying much :).

Have you noticed issues with pricing with the S&S? I finally cancelled all of them after they quadrupled the prices of HVAC filters.

Only a handful over the past year, and they notify me if there's an increase, so I have a chance to cancel. I typically go through my upcoming S&S monthly to change/delete/bump as needed, but I've always done that.

I order far more on Amazon than I ever thought I would!
I notice Amazon items are delivered as promised, the few sold on Amazon by others are what take longer than "promised".
We live near an Amazon warehouse, not sure if that makes any difference.

Last week I ordered a set of USB drives, what showed up in the package was a set of coloring pencils.

Is it possible that the pencils were the same weight as the drives? It could have been an "inside job" type theft.

I had that happen with a package (not from Amazon) once. The expensive-ish product that I'd purchased was replaced with an equal weight of, literally, garbage. Just junk someone had lying around. Things like an old shoe and an open bottle of shampoo or something which had leaked out.

The carrier didn't seem to know what to do when I called to tell them what was in it. I think the phone support person didn't have a box to check for "garbage instead of product." They sent someone out to see for themselves. Then put on nylon gloves and put the box in a big plastic bag to bring back.

It's obvious what happened. Somewhere along the line, either at the factory or a carrier facility, someone substituted a package of equal weight for the real one. They even cut the shipping labels and UPC codes off "my" package and stuck them on the "new" package so it would continue along the line unnoticed.

Is it possible that the pencils were the same weight as the drives? It could have been an "inside job" type theft.

I had that happen with a package (not from Amazon) once. The expensive-ish product that I'd purchased was replaced with an equal weight of, literally, garbage. Just junk someone had lying around. Things like an old shoe and an open bottle of shampoo or something which had leaked out.

The carrier didn't seem to know what to do when I called to tell them what was in it. I think the phone support person didn't have a box to check for "garbage instead of product." They sent someone out to see for themselves. Then put on nylon gloves and put the box in a big plastic bag to bring back.

It's obvious what happened. Somewhere along the line, either at the factory or a carrier facility, someone substituted a package of equal weight for the real one. They even cut the shipping labels and UPC codes off "my" package and stuck them on the "new" package so it would continue along the line unnoticed.
It has to be the seller. Unless the shipping processing staff got bribed to switch the content or shipping label though I don't know how that would work.

I would report it to Amazon because it is a scam. Some eBay sellers do that but their account are usually short lived and the seller feedback system are better. On Amazon the ratings are really just for the product, not the seller.

I order a lot of small/inexpensive things from Amazon (as a non Prime member) and they have almost always been delivered on time as promised, or sooner...

This time of year there are temporary drivers who are in a big hurry and don’t know the area. My favorite bad delivery, if that makes sense, was when a driver left a big box of draperies I ordered in the middle of a city street.

I'm an Amazon Vine reviewer and get packages almost daily and never have a problem. UPS on the other hand had the nerve to drop off a box the other day that was bent in half lengthwise and the tree inside was damaged of course. Amazon gave me full credit with no questions. I don't have prime but get most items the next day, 2 days at the most. I hate when UPS or Fedex delivers, they give me no clue as to when it might be delivered so I have to stay home all day and then it shows up after dark many times.

Back
Top Bottom