Ambition and ER

I can relate to the author. He did his job, did what he wanted to do, and when it was time to retire he did, and planned ahead so he could. What's wrong with that? Well, I wonder what happens when his wife's salary ends, I hope they planned for that too.

Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't. Way back when I worked for Big Oil, I was the nearly the only geophysicist working on the (company approved) 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM flex schedule. What this meant was that I could get one set of jobs through the mainframe before the rest of the crew showed up at 9:00. Then I could get a second pass through along with everyone else to look at in the early afternoon and submit a 3rd before I went home at 3:30. The 9:00 crew could only one run completed and a second submitted before they went home at 5:30. In other words, I got 50% more work done than the rest of them. However, during one performance review it was noted that by not being at the office until 5:30 I was hurting my chances for advancement. Apparently, at this company, face time trumped productivity.

This is not a unique phenomenon. I've noticed at almost every professional job I've held that working late is perceived better, than coming in early... It seems to be completely disconnected from productivity.

Luckily for me, I prefer to come in a little later and stay late.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom