America loses another hero - Dick Winters

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
Richard "Dick" Winters, the Easy Company commander whose World War II exploits were made famous by the book and television miniseries "Band of Brothers," died last week in central Pennsylvania. He was 92.
I hope the loss of this great man isn't totally overshadowed by the news coverage of the tragic shooting in Tucson. It would be a shame for Mr. Winters not to receive the recognition he deserves - along with the thousands of our other WWII veterans we are losing every week.

Farewell to WWII hero Maj. Dick Winters, central character in 'Band of Brothers'

I hope the loss of this great man isn't totally overshadowed by the news coverage of the tragic shooting in Tucson. It would be a shame for Mr. Winters not to receive the recognition he deserves - along with the thousands of our other WWII veterans we are losing every week.

Farewell to WWII hero Maj. Dick Winters, central character in 'Band of Brothers'

Thanks ReW, for posting this. Unfortunately, with our triumvirate of politicos, celebs and the media joined at the hip, our true heroes generally go unnoticed and unheralded. :(

"An intensely private and humble man, Winters had asked that news of his death be withheld until after his funeral".....

"When he said 'Let's go,' he was right in the front," Guarnere, who was called "Wild Bill" by his comrades, said Sunday night from his South Philadelphia home. "He was never in the back. A leader personified."
'Band of Brothers' inspiration dies at age 92 - U.S. news - msnbc.com

posted this a couple days ago - airborne heroes.

kqkCI.gif

If he was anything like the character in the series, he was a very brave man and an extraordinary leader.
I loved the series. Saw it twice.

Airborne. RIP.

I believe Band of Brothers was one of the best series I have seen, and Major Winters was portrayed as the type of commander most of us would have been proud to have served under.

Thanks for posting this Wahoo.

It is always amazing that seemingly ordinary men can rise to such extraordinary challenges in times of great need. Our country is indebted to him and those like him.

One more interesting bit of information:
Winters did not make any money off his memoirs or the speeches he gave later in his life. His royalties from the book went to a variety of organizations, including veterans groups, breast-cancer research organizations and the Ronald McDonald house in Hershey, Pennsylvania, where he lived for years.
CNN.com

Thanks for posting - he also had written books on leadership which I read. Amazing man and amazing company in WWII. The series was also very well done. Have it on DVD...one of the few DVDs I have.

May he finally rest in peace versus just quiet as he noted earlier.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom