American Jury Research - anyone done this?

O2Bfree

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I got a phone message from American Jury Research asking if I'd want to participate in a focus group involving a mock trial. She said it'd be an "extended" trial, and I'd be paid $250 for my time. Apparently this is a legit operation, and could possibly be interesting.

One of my concerns, besides how much time it would take, is how the information they gather would mostly be used. To help lawyers learn how to persuade jurors so that criminals can be let off the hook?

Anyone done this before?

https://www.americanjuryresearch.com/

Mock jurors gather to watch live or videotaped presentations of summary arguments from each party; plaintiff and defense in civil cases, or prosecution and defense in criminal cases. After the presentations, jurors break into groups, or "juries," and each jury deliberates separately to a verdict. Following the jury deliberations, a facilitator leads each jury through an interview, exploring issues which affected the verdict and seeking other information of interest.

Mock jurors consistently tell us how much they enjoy being part of our projects. We handle challenging and interesting cases, and mock jurors end the day glad they joined us (and got paid for it, too!).

I've never heard of that but in the past, I may have participated in such a thing if I had been invited...

All my life I have ~gladly served when called to jury duty... It was challenging and a bit of a hardship when I was working (since no body was doing my job, while I served) but I did it because I always felt it was a "necessary/needed civic duty". Once I retired I even talked to my county courts about helping out in the courts "for free" if they needed me for something... However, I've now done a 180 and I will not participate in the process. Mock or real, paid or not.

Last edited:
I've never heard of that but in the past, I may have participated in such a thing if I had been invited...

All my life I have ~gladly served when called to jury duty...It was challenging and a bit of a hardship when I was working (since no body was doing my job, while I served) but I did it because I always felt it was "necessary/needed civic duty". Once I retired I even talked to my county courts about helping out in the courts "for free" if they needed me for something... However, I've now done a 180 and I will not participate in the process. Mock or real.

What soured you on jury duty? And how would/do you get out of it?

What soured you on jury duty? And how would/do you get out of it?

(1) Can't speak to that here, but I'll PM you if interested...

(2) My age allows me to "opt out" now...

(1) Can't speak to that here, but I'll PM you if interested...
(2) My age allows me to "opt out" now...

If it's a private matter, we'll just leave it as that. :)

I didn't know there was an age limit for jury duty, above which you could simply decline. Makes sense!

Sounds interesting, and a good way for lawyers to test-run a strategy. It's probably hard for an experienced legal team to think in layman's terms. Much like how movies often get early audience-screenings, and are often changed if the reaction is unexpected.

Aside from that, there is nothing "extended" that is worth $250 to me. That sounds like several days.

And, no, I'm not gathering with strangers again until well after covid. Because when it is safe to gather with random people again, I'm going be doing that in fun ways on my terms.

Also sounds like there would be an alarm clock involved, driving in traffic and getting up and out before 9am? non-starter here.

I had never heard of them but prowled around the interwebs a bit and found a few people who had participated. No real negative comments but it sounded like they give you a full eight hours of work. $250 wouldn't be nearly enough for me to take them up on that.

Also sounds like there would be an alarm clock involved, driving in traffic and getting up and out before 9am? non-starter here.

Yes, that's another big concern! :LOL:

You'd think they'd be doing this virtual, but I didn't see anything about that on their website. No Covid statement at all, which is a little strange.

But even without having to deal with traffic, the alarm clock issue is quite objectionable.

I didn't know there was an age limit for jury duty, above which you could simply decline. Makes sense!

It depends on the state of course, laws vary widely. Here in WV if you're 65 or over you're still eligible to serve on a jury, but you can opt out if you want. This is a good thing - do you really want the average 90-year-old to have any part of deciding whether you should spend the next 25-to-30 in prison?

As for myself, I've spent enough time in courtrooms and I am done with that!

I was on a jury for a trial that lasted a couple of months. Half the jury was retired. One reason they were there was to supplement their income and get a bit of spending money.

I've been called for jury duty a few times but only actually served on a jury once. As it happened, it was a murder case and quite interesting. But it took up an entire week and much of the time was pretty boring. I probably exaggerate, but my impression was that 25% of the courtroom time involved the lawyers up at the bench whispering with the judge about what evidence they could or could not show the jury. Another 25% was the prosecutor or defense attorney making speeches that put some of us to sleep.

Nevertheless, I was happy to do it and would do it again. During pandemic time, we aren't having any jury trials around here, and no idea when they might start up again.

Ugh! No way would I do this. I've been on 6 juries and I absolutely detest deliberations. $250 is definitely not enough to get me to go through that if it's optional.

I actually do enjoy the testimony phase of trials though, so if they wanted someone to critique the lawyers or expert witnesses, that could be fun.

I've done focus groups and mock juries that were advertised on the "Gigs" section of Craigslist. Pay was decent and unreported and most were pretty fun. One was about a public relations campaign related to the opioid crisis. I've seen commercials on TV that used some of the suggestions that were talked about in the focus group.

One of my concerns...is how the information they gather would mostly be used. To help lawyers learn how to persuade jurors so that criminals can be let off the hook?

Unlikely.
Some criminals—Jeffery Epstein—could afford the services of this company.
Almost all criminals—for example, Jeffery the burglar—could not.
But civil lawsuits—think tobacco—could easily afford the service.

Unlikely.

Good point. I could see this as being something a defense attorney might want to use if the client had sufficient means.

I've never heard of this but would participate. It sounds like fun.

I did get called for jury duty once and made it through voir dire even though I was a practicing attorney. After the trial, both the plaintiff's and defense attorneys asked if they could talk to me "offline" and asked me to critique their courtroom performance.

Unlikely.

I was thinking maybe the company publishes reports that law firms can buy to improve their techniques. Might benefit an innocent client, but it seems more likely that it'd benefit guilty clients.

Expressing an extreme prejudice removes one from jury duty in my experience.

Best wishes.....

I got a phone message from American Jury Research asking if I'd want to participate in a focus group involving a mock trial. She said it'd be an "extended" trial, and I'd be paid $250 for my time. Apparently this is a legit operation, and could possibly be interesting.

One of my concerns, besides how much time it would take, is how the information they gather would mostly be used. To help lawyers learn how to persuade jurors so that criminals can be let off the hook?

Anyone done this before?

https://www.americanjuryresearch.com/
yup. i participated in a mock jury "trial" for a medical malpractice case. several hours on a saturday and sunday hearing evidence and then rendering a verdict. we also had to explain our votes. we received a meal and $. it wasn't much but then i did it for the experience. i've never served on a real jury and would love to do that.

I haven't done a mock jury like that but I have done focus groups twice. The first one was in person in a conference room in an office, took about an hour and we were paid $100 cash, not taxed.

The second one was a few months ago and due to COVID was all done online, live in a group chat. We watched short videos and had a chance to comment and then complete a poll. This was very easy and interesting and we were paid $125 in an Amazon gift card, also not taxed.

A one time thing for an hour or two would be easy enough but I don't think I'd want something that involved a full day. Although $250 may make it worth your time.

I was on a jury for a trial that lasted a couple of months. Half the jury was retired. One reason they were there was to supplement their income and get a bit of spending money.

Yikes. What does jury duty pay in your area? It’s $20/day here, not enough for gas money and they ask you to donate it to the County Orphans fund. I’d guess some folks find it exciting or at least interesting.

An episode of "The Good Wife" included a mock jury. Good episode.

I liked the 3 times I have been called for jury duty, in 1987, 1996, and 2007. Then again, I was working at the time, so getting paid time off from work while being spared having to commute to my office in Manhattan or New Jersey was always welcome. The drive to the local courthouse was pretty quick and easy, and I could sleep in.

Now retired, would I want to volunteer for a mock trial or jury duty itself? Nope, even without Covid. I don't need the money. If I were called for jury duty again, as it has been 14 years now, I'd willingly serve. In a few more years, I'll qualify for an automatic exemption anyway, which is fine.

Back
Top Bottom