An Ancient Greek Lesson About LBYM and FIRE

tangomonster

Full time employment: Posting here.
Saw this and it resonated with me. I've always felt that maybe I could have done better in the work world had I sucked up more to my "superiors." Where would that have gotten me? Possibly promotions, better raises, and maybe less harassment. Instead, I took the route of being more of my own person and since work wasn't going so well in any area, making an early escape by living below my means (even though my salary was low), saving and investing my money.

I just read this and thought that this is a kindred soul whom many on this forum can relate to:

A philosopher named Aristippus, who had quite willingly sucked up to Dionysus and won himself a spot at his court, saw Diogenes cooking lentils for a meal. "If you would only learn to compliment Dionysus, you wouldn't have to live on lentils."
Diogenes replied, "But if you would only learn to live on lentils, you wouldn't have to flatter Dionysus."
-------------------------------------------

Diogenes---my new hero!

Saw this and it resonated with me. I've always felt that maybe I could have done better in the work world had I sucked up more to my "superiors." Where would that have gotten me? Possibly promotions, better raises, and maybe less harassment. Instead, I took the route of being more of my own person and since work wasn't going so well in any area, making an early escape by living below my means (even though my salary was low), saving and investing my money.

I just read this and thought that this is a kindred soul whom many on this forum can relate to:

A philosopher named Aristippus, who had quite willingly sucked up to Dionysus and won himself a spot at his court, saw Diogenes cooking lentils for a meal. "If you would only learn to compliment Dionysus, you wouldn't have to live on lentils."
Diogenes replied, "But if you would only learn to live on lentils, you wouldn't have to flatter Dionysus."
-------------------------------------------

Diogenes---my new hero!

Lentils... Diogenes must be a Early Retirement Extreme Reader :)

This is actually a complicated topic TM. There are plenty of insecure or simply nasty supervisors and managers who can't deal with any criticism and surround themselves with sycophants. But, in my experience, there are far more who are normal, decent human beings trying to get the job done. For those young dreamers out there still facing a long haul at the office I recommend getting away from bosses of the first type as fast as you can. But for every type 1 boss I saw skulking around, I saw a few talented but disgruntled employees who everyone in the workforce rolled their eyes at. Employees who were hypercritical of everything the organization did, who were so certain that they could do better but were never promoted because management didn't respect talent, blah, blah. The reality is that no manager with an ounce of sense would put one of these misfits in charge of a work group. And when they were promoted to supervisory jobs (usually because of their talents and in spite of their negativity) they often ended up one of those type 1 bosses (or screamers, which may be worse).

My life got much easier once I learned it was my responsibility to manage the relationship with my manager. Far, far more valuable that working hard or having talent.

My life got much easier once I learned it was my responsibility to manage the relationship with my manager. Far, far more valuable that working hard or having talent.
Sounds like no fun at all. Dismaying enough to manage a relationship with your woman, and she at least will sleep with you if you are doing a reasonable job of relationship managing.

Ha

haha said:
Sounds like no fun at all. Dismaying enough to manage a relationship with your woman, and she at least will sleep with you if you are doing a reasonable job of relationship managing.

Ha

And the manager gives you money. The oldest profession, and all that.

That said, I love the story in the OP.

Like the quote in V for Vendetta says, our integrity sells for so little, but in the end, it's all we have.

Ha

And your manager may screw you if you don't manage that relationship well.

:ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom