Android phone question

aja8888

Moderator Emeritus
My Motorola G Power phone with android 11 OS has a "desktop" area with a news feed and you can select any article you wish. Unfortunately, each article is a springboard for a flurry of pop up ads which pretty much eliminate any way to easily read the article you selected.

This is a gigantic PIA to actually read the specified content and I was wondering if there was a way to remove that news desktop entirely, so all I really have is a phone with apps I can select when desired. I tried removing each article source (CNN, Golf Digest, etc, etc) but that just accomplishes wasting my time and the sources I eliminated just come right back.

There doesn't appear to be anything in the "settings" that allows me to do this, unless there is a well hidden setting.

Any ideas?

If when you click on a news story your phone opens the article with Chrome you can get some relief using Android's Chrome feature "View Simplified Page."

Open Chrome on your Android device.

Tap on the three vertical dots on the top-right corner of the browser and select Settings from the menu options.

On the Settings page, scroll down to the Advanced section and click on Accessibility.

Check off the checkbox next to Simplified view for web pages to enable simplified view.

Now when you go to a web page it will temporarily display a prompt, "View Simplified Page"? Click yes and your browser will open a new page stripped of all the extraneous BS that gets in the way of reading the actual article. It also increases the font size a bit and tones down the colors, making it easier to read. Be aware that this feature only works on web pages that have a Simplified View.

If when you click on a news story your phone opens the article with Chrome you can get some relief using Android's Chrome feature "View Simplified Page."

Open Chrome on your Android device.

Tap on the three vertical dots on the top-right corner of the browser and select Settings from the menu options.

On the Settings page, scroll down to the Advanced section and click on Accessibility.

Check off the checkbox next to Simplified view for web pages to enable simplified view.

Now when you go to a web page it will temporarily display a prompt, "View Simplified Page"? Click yes and your browser will open a new page stripped of all the extraneous BS that gets in the way of reading the actual article. It also increases the font size a bit and tones down the colors, making it easier to read. Be aware that this feature only works on web pages that have a Simplified View.

Thanks!

Seems to work for some articles. But I would really like to remove the entire page of articles that load as a desktop view (if that is possible).

Last edited:
Does anyone with an iPhone have any difficulty sending or receiving texts/photo texts with Android phones? We live in a limited coverage area granted but sometimes I will receive a text or photo sent to me and my wife and I get it and she doesn't even though we are sitting in the same room with the same phone (iPhone13). This might go on for a few days and then suddenly all the texts are delivered en masse. Thoughts?

Does anyone with an iPhone have any difficulty sending or receiving texts/photo texts with Android phones? We live in a limited coverage area granted but sometimes I will receive a text or photo sent to me and my wife and I get it and she doesn't even though we are sitting in the same room with the same phone (iPhone13). This might go on for a few days and then suddenly all the texts are delivered en masse. Thoughts?
My thought is that you should start your own thread rather than threadjack someone else's, especially when they are still seeking an answer.

To remove the Google app/newsfeed on Android:

Long press any blank space on your background (as if you were changing wallpapers). Select "Home Settings." There should be a setting called "Swipe to access Google app." Just turn it off.

Long press any blank space on your background (as if you were changing wallpapers). Select "Home Settings." There should be a setting called "Swipe to access Google app." Just turn it off.

BEAUTIFUL!!

Thanks you!! :dance:

Thanks for this, it's been an annoyance for me for a long time as well.

D'oh! Yes, this works if you are running the stock Google launcher. I use Nova Prime launcher so I don't even see the Google Home page.

My thought is that you should start your own thread rather than threadjack someone else's, especially when they are still seeking an answer.

I agree, but since aja8888 has got his problem solved, I'll suggest that you first check the iPhone settings to make sure MMS is enabled. Then make sure the Android phone number is completely disconnected from iMessage. Here's the page where you can deregister: https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

If you have an iPad or any other Apple device, you may have to logout of iMessage there also. I had an issue with missing texts from iPhones and found they were showing up in iMessage on my iPad. I suspect that the people sending them had my email address and phone number in the same contact on their phones, and Apple was finding my iMessage app on the iPad via my email address. I never really confirmed that, but the problem went away once I completely logged out of messaging on all Apple devices.

My apologies -- I didn't realize I violated a forum protocol. Sorry to have offended.

I agree, but since aja8888 has got his problem solved, I'll suggest that you first check the iPhone settings to make sure MMS is enabled. Then make sure the Android phone number is completely disconnected from iMessage. Here's the page where you can deregister: https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/. If you have an iPad or any other Apple device, you may have to logout of iMessage there also. I had an issue with missing texts from iPhones and found they were showing up in iMessage on my iPad. I suspect that the people sending them had my email address and phone number in the same contact on their phones, and Apple was finding my iMessage app on the iPad via my email address. I never really confirmed that, but the problem went away once I completely logged out of messaging on all Apple devices.

Thanks for the helpful suggestion. I will look into that.

The first thing I do on a new phone is turn off the news feed. I don't need Google learning my news preferences and forcing me into an echo chamber of stories which will "engage" (or enrage) me.

I go to a news aggregator site and choose which articles I want to read, from both sides of the political spectrum. When I close the browser, it deletes cookies so there's no history of what I've read the next time I come back.

I think we'd live in a better world if everyone did this.

The first thing I do on a new phone is turn off the news feed. I don't need Google learning my news preferences and forcing me into an echo chamber of stories which will "engage" (or enrage) me.

I go to a news aggregator site and choose which articles I want to read, from both sides of the political spectrum. When I close the browser, it deletes cookies so there's no history of what I've read the next time I come back.

I think we'd live in a better world if everyone did this.

I know exactly what you are talking about. However, if you install the Google News app you can tell it which news sources you want to read and which ones you don't want to read. The Google News app is NOT the same as the Google home page news feed.

...However, if you install the Google News app you can tell it which news sources you want to read and which ones you don't want to read.

Right, but if I go out to a news aggregator site, I can look at the headlines from all the news sources - knowing the bias of each one. Of course there are some I tend to agree with more than others. But I don't want to always only read the ones I agree with.

Also a THANKS for this, as this weird swipe side thing was something I found uninteresting and annoying. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom