Another Consideration? Future "Tax" on Savings

"Western debt burden is now so big that rich states will need same tonic of debt haircuts, higher inflation and financial repression - defined as an opaque tax on savers.”

IMF paper warns of 'savings tax' and mass write-offs as West's debt hits 200-year high - Telegraph

Is this possible to model? I generally assume 2% inflation on my yearly needs, 0% on my investments and -1% return on my COLA'd pensions.
Lots of people who post here model less than 100% of their scheduled Social Security benefits. Some of them say stuff like "SS will probably be means tested. Since I'm saving, I'll be one of those people with means."
I'd call that a "savings tax" driven by the cost of entitlements.

Last edited:
Lots of people who post here model less than 100% of their scheduled Social Security benefits. Some of them say stuff like "SS will probably be means tested. Since I'm saving, I'll be one of those people with means."
I'd call that a "savings tax" driven by the cost of entitlements.

I assume we will only get 70% of our SS benefits (I think this is reasonable since my understanding is that SS is funded indefinitely at 75% of the benefits) and that 100% of our SS benefits will be taxed as opposed to 85%.

Back
Top Bottom