Another retirement plan option...

LRAO

Recycles dryer sheets
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- A man who couldn't find steady work came up with a plan to make it through the next few years until he could collect Social Security: He robbed a bank, then handed the money to a guard and waited for police.

On Wednesday, Timothy J. Bowers told a judge a three-year prison sentence would suit him, and the judge obliged.

"At my age, the jobs available to me are minimum-wage jobs. There is age discrimination out there," Bowers, who turns 63 in a few weeks, told Judge Angela White.

The judge told him: "It's unfortunate you feel this is the only way to deal with the situation."

Bowers said he had been able to find only odd jobs after the drug wholesaler he made deliveries for closed in 2003. He walked to a bank and handed a teller a note demanding cash in an envelope. The teller gave him four $20 bills and pushed a silent alarm.

Bowers handed the money to a security guard standing in the lobby and told him it was his day to be a hero.

He pleaded guilty to robbery, and a court-ordered psychological exam found him competent.

"It's a pretty sad story when someone feels that's their only alternative," said defense attorney Jeremy W. Dodgion, who described Bowers as "a charming old man."

Prosecutors had considered arguing against putting Bowers in prison at taxpayer expense, but they worried he would do something more reckless to be put behind bars.

"It's not the financial plan I would choose, but it's a financial plan," prosecutor Dan Cable said.

Yeah that's where I wanna be at 63. Bubba's little bitch.

Odd jobs sound way more appealing.

Patrick said:
Do felons get to collect their Social Security? :confused:

Hey, if they paid their fair share they should get what ever they earned like everyone else. If they paid there debt for the crime then there done. What does SS have to do with it?

Patrick said:
Do felons get to collect their Social Security? :confused:

From the SS website:

Question: Does Social Security pay benefits to prisoners?

Answer: We pay benefits under both the Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) programs. Both of these programs prohibit payments to most prisoners. Social Security benefits are suspended if an otherwise eligible person is confined in a jail, prison, or other penal institution for more than 30 continuous days due to conviction of a crime.

We cannot pay benefits to someone who, by court order, is confined in an institution at public expense in connection with a criminal case if the court finds that the person is: guilty, but insane; not guilty of such an offense by reason of insanity or similar factors (such as a mental disease); or incompetent to stand trial for such an alleged offense.

Also, we cannot pay benefits to someone who, immediately upon completion of a prison sentence for conviction of a criminal offense (an element of which is sexual activity), is confined by court order in an institution at public expense. The confinement must be based on a court finding that the individual is a sexually dangerous person or sexual predator (or a similar finding.) However, if a person is not confined in prison or other similar place, benefits may be paid to an eligible individual.

73ss454 said:
Hey, if they paid their fair share they should get what ever they earned like everyone else. If they paid there debt for the crime then there done. What does SS have to do with it?

I was just wondering if his plan was going to work or not. It wouldn't be a good plan if he wasn't allowed to collect SS when he got out.

This story doenst make any sense....I wonder if it is a planted story right before the election........some of these news services have been known to even pick up Onion stories ;)...he could already take early social security....I know it might not be enough....but taking a retail job has to be better than prison :-\

Back
Top Bottom