Another SSA Oddity

CRLLS

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I was one of those who have filed for spousal benefits at FRA. Now I'm coming up to my 70th birthday and have to switch to receiving on my own benefits. 3 months before that, I filed on-line to claim on my own benefits. I got a reply that it was in process. When I recently went on my account to check the status, it says it has been approved but still shows it as in process. It says that it will stay as in process until the month that my increase goes into effect. In that month, I will get a letter stating what the amount is. Most likely it mayat the same time that I see the bank deposit. WTF?

If they already have approved it, and I assume they know the amount, I don't understand why SSA does not show my new amount and confirm the starting date so that if there is an error, it could be caught beforehand. The US government works on its own schedule I guess.

I was one of those who have filed for spousal benefits at FRA. Now I'm coming up to my 70th birthday and have to switch to receiving on my own benefits. 3 months before that, I filed on-line to claim on my own benefits. I got a reply that it was in process. When I recently went on my account to check the status, it says it has been approved but still shows it as in process. It says that it will stay as in process until the month that my increase goes into effect. In that month, I will get a letter stating what the amount is. Most likely it mayat the same time that I see the bank deposit. WTF?

If they already have approved it, and I assume they know the amount, I don't understand why SSA does not show my new amount and confirm the starting date so that if there is an error, it could be caught beforehand. The US government works on its own schedule I guess.

I am in the same situation. I turn 70 this November, I am switching from the restricted application to mine. Same thing happened. I called social security, and they referred me to the office processing the application. It took several phone calls, and someone finally was able to answer the simple question " what will my new payment amount be". and when will I get the first check. In another annoyance, there is no field to put withholding in on the application , so I mailed in the form. Then, she told me that form would not carry to the new benefit. And I have to mail it again in November.

I'm 70 in November too. Is that when they told you that you will see the new amount? Don't you think that it would just be easier to show it on your account (or at least in the messages) as soon as they approve it? Doing so would free up a few phone calls for people with real questions. I don't "need" to know how much and when. It is not worth being on hold for a long time. It would be nice to know for year-end planning.

I'm 70 in November too. Is that when they told you that you will see the new amount? Don't you think that it would just be easier to show it on your account (or at least in the messages) as soon as they approve it? Doing so would free up a few phone calls for people with real questions. I don't "need" to know how much and when. It is not worth being on hold for a long time. It would be nice to know for year-end planning.

My understanding is that the payment is made in arrears. I turn 70 in January, have applied for my own benefit (now on spouses). The first payment for the new amount should be in February for me.

I agree, , I thought all of that information should have been easily accessible on line . ( including requesting tax withholding ). It wasn't even easy to get an agent who could answer my questions on the phone. the central phone line couldn't see the application at all. The office staff at the local office varied " I process disability payments and don't know anything about retirement benefit applications " was one answer I got, with another extension to call whom did not call back. etc.... My understanding is we will get our first increased check in December. When is your birthday? I am November 10

I agree, , I thought all of that information should have been easily accessible on line . ( including requesting tax withholding ). It wasn't even easy to get an agent who could answer my questions on the phone. the central phone line couldn't see the application at all. The office staff at the local office varied " I process disability payments and don't know anything about retirement benefit applications " was one answer I got, with another extension to call whom did not call back. etc.... My understanding is we will get our first increased check in December. When is your birthday? I am November 10

Nov 21st. I have planned for my benefits starting Nov, to be deposited in Dec. Then in Jan's deposit we will get the COLA. I currently get SS deposit in the 3rd week due to DW's b'day. I am not sure if I will be changed to the 4th week when my benefits start. No biggie either way.

My understanding is that the payment is made in arrears. I turn 70 in January, have applied for my own benefit (now on spouses). The first payment for the new amount should be in February for me.

That's my understanding and how I am planning. My wish would be that SSA be a little more transparent instead of leaving us in the dark for no reason.

That's my understanding and how I am planning. My wish would be that SSA be a little more transparent instead of leaving us in the dark for no reason.

tbf I think it has always been in arrears. My spousal was paid in the month following commencement so I am basing my assumption on the new amount on their standard policy of paying one month in arrears.

Yes, I found that process maddening. DH died in 2016 at age 78; I was 62 and not collecting on my own record. I filed on-line earlier this year for my own benefit at age 69, well before my 69th birthday. They acknowledged receipt and said it was in process... for a few months. I called and it turned out they don't issue approval till X days before the first payment (maybe a month). I had no way of finding out what my new benefit would be- the response on-line was "You're ALREADY collecting benefits". I made a reasonably good guess from the paperwork I got when I applied for Survivor benefits which showed my own potential benefit at various ages, although the numbers were higher due to COLAs.

And don't you love it when you wait on hold and the recording keeps saying "You can go on-line at SSA.gov..." when you're on the phone because the web site won't give you the info you need?

^ that is one weird thing about the SSA site. If you are already receiving a spousal benefit the site offers no info on what your benefit is @ 70. It isn't complex to calculate but it is tedious if you want an exact number. I have a rough idea which is good enough for tax planning for 2023.

^ that is one weird thing about the SSA site. If you are already receiving a spousal benefit the site offers no info on what your benefit is @ 70. It isn't complex to calculate but it is tedious if you want an exact number. I have a rough idea which is good enough for tax planning for 2023.

True. How hard would it be for the SSA to show not only your current benefits for spousal or other claiming methods, but also what your benefits would be if/when claiming on your own benefits. :facepalm:

Nov 21st. I have planned for my benefits starting Nov, to be deposited in Dec. Then in Jan's deposit we will get the COLA. I currently get SS deposit in the 3rd week due to DW's b'day. I am not sure if I will be changed to the 4th week when my benefits start. No biggie either way.

21st looks like the 4th Wednesday

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom