Any boat owners?

MasterCraft ProStar 197, 24' Harris Floteboat, 2 jetskis, 10' dingy, kayak, 2 standup paddle boards

Sent from my XT1575 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Going into retirement we shifted gears from hard core fishing boats...Bertrams, Albemarles, and Carolina Classics to a small project boat, a 1991 Carver.

After a 3 year hiatus under shrink wrap behind a marina building in upper state NY, we bought her on the cheap, shipped her to NC and got her up and running.

So far, DW likes cruising, has not gotten seasick, loves the AC, and sleeps soundly...3 continuous nights aboard to date...if things work out, we may opt for the full floating/cruising condo...definitely want to get down to FL and the Bahamas.

Old Timer Memory

Somethin' nagging at me about power boats... then I remembered...

Circa 1960 we were living in Falmouth, Mass. Our next door neighbor was the captain of the Andrew Mellon's Yacht Cassiar, docked in the Wood's Hole Yacht Club, and we were invited aboard for a ride. (Mellon... owner of Gulf Oil). The boat was built in the 1940's and the story goes that Mellon was a confident to FDR. On our ride around Martha's Vineyard, we spent some of the time in a lower deck room, which was Mellon's study. On a small desk, was a red telephone (regular phone) which connected a radio phone that went to the White House. Fascinating to me at the time, as I had never been close to "big money". The "red phone" was one a number of similar phones, given to Mellon by Roosevelt, to connect him to power magnates, duriing WWII.
The Cassiar was a 64' mahogany sport fishing boat, kept immaculately clean and ready by a crew of 6. At dock, she shone like a jewel.

A few years later, maybe in the later '60's the Cassiar was replaced by another larger Yacht... originally named the Cassiar, but quickly renamed "The Queen of Diamonds". That was was a more modern steel yacht ... 134' in length.

Richark K Mellon had two replica's of the original Cassiar built in 1968.

All apropos of nothing except some fading memories.

Pics of the 1940 Cassiar here in Boating Magazine 1950... Towards the bottom of the web page.
The WoodenBoat Forum

Last edited:
My fleet is a deck boat, kayak and paddle board. I've always dreamed of having a live aboard boat, sail or power. I'm afraid that would eliminate other options for me, but the dream remains.
I've never solo'd a sail boat before today. I'm in Playa del Carmen Mexico and after 1 lesson yesterday in 16 foot Hobie, I'm hooked.
Bluest water I've ever seen.
I'll be sailing part of every day until I go home.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

C-Dory Tomcat pilothouse. Trailer-able and best cruise speed is 20 knots. Headed for two weeks cruising on Mississippi in mid-September, than south Florida in February after knee replacement.

I agree that boats are a hole-in-the-water in which to throw money, but I'm finding in retirement that I over saved and it's time to start spending and enjoying as you can't take it with you:dance:

I have a simple rule, if it flys or floats don't buy it
I'd add a twist... unless you live right on the water (either on the boat or in a house that's seconds away from the dock)

I've been in/around and owned small boats up to 21' until the last few years. We're presently searching for a 40-45' boat to use as a getaway place and spend the summers cruising and the winters in south Florida.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1468639653.202712.jpg

We did it! We are the new proud owners of 'Mary Jo'! She'll be transported from Texas to our dock in Virginia...looking forward to enjoying journey of being FIRE , taking it easy and enjoying the journey at 6 knots!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

View attachment 24283

We did it! We are the new proud owners of 'Mary Jo'! She'll be transported from Texas to our dock in Virginia...looking forward to enjoying journey of being FIRE , taking it easy and enjoying the journey at 6 knots!

AWESOME!!!! Congratulations!
Hope to see you out and about someday!
Fair winds,
Ray

We got our fill after sailing in the Caribbean for 2 season 6 months each time. Sold the Boat a 45ft Robinson Caine Cat in St Martin. In 2004 and have not had one since. Best boat is a Friends Boat. Fortunately I love to do maintenance and boat stuff, friends with boats love that.

Unfortunately the mods on this site complain when I put links to my website where all the photos are stored. For some reason they "Think" it is a blog, it is not, simply a place where we store photos and experiences we wish to publish. PM if you want a link.

We have a 1968 36' Columbia sloop we bought to give me a "retirement project"... She is for sale now. We had planned on refurbing her and living on her during our retirement. And then my DW realized she even got seasick while at the pier. So, plan B was to just have her sit at the pier so we had a place to stay when we went back to Hawaii to visit. I gutted the old girl, fixed bunch of fiberglass, stripped and restained the teak that was salvageable. Bought some new teak and made new handrails and some trim for down below. Removed some gauges no longer required and glassed the holes. Repainted the entire topside and completely replaced the foam cushions. Additionally, we made the new upholstery. I lost interest in completing the project so we now have a 95% completed refurb sitting at the pier on Oahu. Did I mention, she is for sale? I did learn a lot working on her so I see the money spent as a tuition. Plus it kept me busy for the better part of a year of my retirement. BTW, she is for sale.lol

Awesome - congrats on the new toy and the lifestyle change.

We have a restored Cape Dory 27 ft sailboat that has been a wonderful addition and the catalyst for good adventures and new friends. :flowers:

We just recently re-entered the boating scene a few weeks ago. It has been at least 25 yrs since my last boat. I am a self-taught handyman and believe in LBYM so we bought an older speedboat that needed some luv'in. A 1989 Maxum 2000s/r w/5.0LX Mercruiser V-8 w/ Alpha drive. It had been out of the water for several years so needed some "work". We finally got her started (a feat not trivial). We had to unfreeze the alternator, adjust the gear-shift cables, replace the I/O bellows, horn, bilge pump, trailer tires, battery, repair the tach, and a bunch of other general clean-up items. It went surprisingly well, and after a couple of weeks work, we had the maiden voyage last Saturday evening and were out on Sunday for most of the day. IT still needs some work but is seaworthy as it sits. It is large enough to sit DW and myself, along with DS's family while still being easily towable.

Attachments

• IMG_7664.jpg
    IMG_7664.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 7
We have a 23 foot Chris Craft Catalina and a 15 foot Marshall Marine Sandpiper which we keep on Long Beach Island, New Jersey.

Attachments

• CC Picture.jpg
    CC Picture.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Sandpiper picture.JPG
    Sandpiper picture.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom