Any ideas what this is?

Squirrels?

SQUIRREL POOP DESCRIPTION: Oblong pellets, usually about 3/8 inch long and 1/8 inch in diameter, rounded tips and slightly bulging in the center. with some size variance. Fresh ones are dark brown, but they get lighter with age. Looks very similar to rat, only a little bit fatter, and a little more likely to grow lighter with time.

But the tips are pointy. And they are shiny black. And it happened at night. And they weren’t chewed. Squirrels chew everything. They don’t run around at night. The pile looked to be way more than one squirrel would poop. I really really don’t think it’s a squirrel.

I'd plant some of those seed things - some in the "husk" some opened, and then see what happens!

Unless you're ignoring me, I said that back at post 46, we could've had plants sprouted by now!:LOL:

I'm not ignoring you :LOL: It's just that these are more like little pits and not seeds. Pits are notoriously hard to germinate. I doubt I will be successful.

I'm not ignoring you :LOL: It's just that these are more like little pits and not seeds. Pits are notoriously hard to germinate. I doubt I will be successful.

Place a few in a small saucer with 1/2' of warm almond milk in it and cover with a cotton cloth for 5 days. Alternate between light and dark with the saucer. Report back.

I usually just lurk and read on this forum. I can't believe I logged in so I could see a photo of a mystery blob/possible poop. What does that say about me? :blush:

While I'm not familiar with the poop of too many animals, it doesn't look like poop to me. The seeds/pods/whatever are awfully shiny to have gone through intestines, no?

I wonder if they were vomited up (hence the not-chewed look and the wet area underneath), or if some critter found a fruit and opened it on your deck, dumped the seeds and then ran off with the meat/rind to enjoy elsewhere.

I also think being on a deck as opposed to the ground is a strange place for poop (other than for rodents who just constantly drop pebbles as they go and aren't in a concentrated area like that).

I feel invested in this mystery now, and must know what it is!

Last edited:
I usually just lurk and read on this forum. I can't believe I logged in so I could see a photo of a mystery blob/possible poop. What does that say about me? :blush:

While I'm not familiar with the poop of too many animals, it doesn't look like poop to me. The seeds/pods/whatever are awfully shiny to have gone through intestines, no?

I wonder if they were vomited up (hence the not-chewed look and the wet area underneath), or if some critter found a fruit and opened it on your deck, dumped the seeds and then ran off with the meat/rind to enjoy elsewhere.

I also think being on a deck as opposed to the ground is a strange place for poop (other than for rodents who just constantly drop pebbles as they go and aren't in a concentrated area like that).

I feel invested in this mystery now, and must know what it is!

Well if you look back at my post #99 I said pretty much what you are saying. I said, "Then at this point my best guess would be a coyote wolfed them down somewhere. They didn’t sit well with him. He was walking on my deck and puked them up. It’s reasonable."

This is the only logical conclusion I can make. I will never for sure if I'm right, but I feel good about this being the reasonable series of events.

Well if you look back at my post #99 I said pretty much what you are saying. I said, "Then at this point my best guess would be a coyote wolfed them down somewhere. They didn’t sit well with him. He was walking on my deck and puked them up. It’s reasonable."

This is the only logical conclusion I can make. I will never for sure if I'm right, but I feel good about this being the reasonable series of events.

Oops!! I don't know how I missed your post, but I did.

I can totally see a coyote wandering on your deck.

You said it was under a Hackberry tree so it's probably hackberries for some squirrels (or birds) winter food supply. Mine store things like this in my cars and trucks engine compartments.

Last edited:
It's Armadillo scat.
Armadillo scat takes the form of small pellets about an inch long. What armadillo poop looks like depends on what the animal ate recently. Their feces usually contain parts of the beetles and other insects that make up their diet.

It's Armadillo scat.
Armadillo scat takes the form of small pellets about an inch long. What armadillo poop looks like depends on what the animal ate recently. Their feces usually contain parts of the beetles and other insects that make up their diet.

I think Miss Molly is in Tennessee or Kentucky and I don't think armadillos are there. Or I could be wrong like happens frequently.

I think Miss Molly is in Tennessee or Kentucky and I don't think armadillos are there. Or I could be wrong like happens frequently.

Im in Western KY and I can assure you that there are 1000's of armadillos in West Ky, West TN, SE MO, NE ARK, and probably Southern Illinois. I see dead armadillos on the road every trip to town. They dig holes in my yard. I've shot a half dozen of them in the last two years in the yard. My neighbor has an armadillo box trap, she has caught 3 in the last year.

Armadillos are only in western Kentucky, not here.

It's not hackberries because they are tiny, round and hard.

Chokecherries? Maybe, I don't know. It seems to me chokecherries are round and these aren't round. But I don't know if I've seen a chokecherry so I am no expert.

No way are they deer droppings. The deck screws were pointed out as reference. A deck screw head is less than 3/8th diameter (0.375"), less than half the size of the above link on deer poop. The objects in the OP are maybe the size of the deck screw head, some smaller.

https://www.americanfastener.com/drywall-and-deck-screws/

I vote heavily against deer poop.

-ERD50
I agree, too small for deer droppings.

Im in Western KY and I can assure you that there are 1000's of armadillos in West Ky, West TN, SE MO, NE ARK, and probably Southern Illinois. I see dead armadillos on the road every trip to town. They dig holes in my yard. I've shot a half dozen of them in the last two years in the yard. My neighbor has an armadillo box trap, she has caught 3 in the last year.

We've got so many Armadillos in Texas that I hear one is running for political office in Austin! If he gets in, he probably won't be any worse than the current incumbents.:LOL:

MissMolly, do you have a Nextdoor (nextdoor.com) account? I think you should ask your question there.
In case you don't know, that's a local social media thing that is quite useful (even if you also get to see your neighbors' personality quirks, not always enjoyable).

MissMolly, do you have a Nextdoor (nextdoor.com) account? I think you should ask your question there.
In case you don't know, that's a local social media thing that is quite useful (even if you also get to see your neighbors' personality quirks, not always enjoyable).

Yes, I have one but those people on that app are crazy. I mostly just read it for entertainment. But I will say, that's how I found out coyotes had moved into the area :cool:

Back
Top Bottom