Anybody else 100% stocks, no bonds?

Personally I am too risk averse to buy and hold 100% in equities, even if I had an income stream covering all expenses. Reading this thread helps me better understand current market valuations. The old rule of thumb was to own one's age in bonds. It feels almost surreal to see retirees discussing their 100% equity portfolios. I get that bonds are not the investment that they were, but the fact that they may not be a good investment does not decrease the risks in the stock market. In fact I fear it may increase it, since so many seem to be loading up on equities instead.

I keep 2 years in cash roughly. The rest in stock/reit/mlp. Fed killed bonds for now. Though awealthofcommonsense did mention the 7% yield in savings bonds with inflation protection, though limited to 10k.

Personally I am too risk averse to buy and hold 100% in equities, even if I had an income stream covering all expenses. Reading this thread helps me better understand current market valuations. The old rule of thumb was to own one's age in bonds. It feels almost surreal to see retirees discussing their 100% equity portfolios. I get that bonds are not the investment that they were, but the fact that they may not be a good investment does not decrease the risks in the stock market. In fact I fear it may increase it, since so many seem to be loading up on equities instead.

I am 83. If I went by that old rule I would have missed out on the market, while losing to inflation.
If I considered our SS and pensions as a SPIA, my AA would be 65/35.
The fixed income covers all our expenses, and then some.

Last edited:
Free866, do you have a pension? What is your withdrawal rate? When you say you “ran the numbers,” are you referring to FIRECALC? I’m 53 and still w*rking. No pension on the horizon but I aim to retire by 55. I am both waiting for a separation package as well as padding my coffers to self insure for LTC. I’m sitting around 80/20 with 4 years expenses in cash (that’s included in the 20%). I feel 80/20 is too conservative and feel the pull toward 90/10 or higher. I’ve weathered several market drops at 100% equities and am confident that a 2-3 year expenses cash buffer and 100% equities might be a better fit for me.

I do not have a pension.
Yes---ran numbers in FIRECALC, Fidelity Planner and ********

not sure why site wont let me put the ******** one

my withdrawal rate started out at like 4.5% now its like ~2.6 % even less I think now

Last edited:
Yes, almost 100% TSLA :)
A few EVGO with leftover money. Investing in the future.

*Company 401k is 100% S&P500 index stocks.
Is it possible to trustee-to-trustee company 401k money to personal broker/dealer 401k while still working at the company?

I think AA has to do with one's comfort level as well. I am all for 80-20 Equities-Fixed income or an even higher ratio but my husband is comfortable at 60-40, even though we have annuities and SS to cover more than half our expenses. I am also managing my 35-year old son's investments and his taxable portfolio is at 84-16 currently. He is very conservative but he lets me manage his taxable portfolio. I believe his IRA account believe is all fixed income (cringe!).

Multiple Streams of Income

Retired in 2015 at 59. We have 100% in individual stocks and mutual funds. No bonds. They were always losers. But...

Our monthly income is provided by rental income plus SS since we hit FRA. We haven't tapped our IRA and won't until the DH hits 72. So the ups and downs of the market are not troubling to us.

If you have more than one source to draw income from, it really takes the pressure off

If you are retired and 100% stocks/stock funds, do you tend to hold more cash instead of bonds? For those with pensions, SS, and Rental income this may not be a concern. But how about those living off their portfolio? Do you hold more cash?

Good for you. In the wrap-up ending my 6 hour Adult-Ed investing class I tell them this:

"Investing is boring. If you're not bored, you're not doing it right."

The Reverend Buffet has consolation for you, too:
“The stock market is a device for transferring money from the impatient to the patient.”

"Much success can be attributed to inactivity. Most investors cannot resist the temptation to constantly buy and sell. ... Lethargy bordering on sloth should remain the cornerstone of an investment style."​

Be careful to not let the tax tail wag the investment dog. Your goal is not to starve the IRS, it is to maximize MIP (money in pocket). History tells us that maximum MIP will come from equities, so your 99% is probably optimal. Blend to taste total us market and total international market funds, ideally tax-managed funds, and you're done. In our case, we hold the total world, VTWAX, so we don't have any need to worry about the blend.

Re "taxed should be the conservative one" remember that volatility is not risk. IMO it is conservative (in the literal sense of the word) to maximize MIP.
Excellent advise.
Not 100% but at 80/20% and not sure I will up the equity as I go forward. I would feel comfortable going 100% because my plan is for investments to be a legacy for other too use. Will just leave everything just ride the ups and downs and see what happens.

We produce 55% of our income from a pension, an SPIA, and SS (both US and Swiss)--effectively our bond allocation. The other 45% is derived from a concentrated dividend growth stock portfolio, along with a small holding in a few Vanguard mutual funds (IRAs) and a Schwab ETF. This has worked well during our nest-building years and during our subsequent retirement years.

-BB

Last edited:
Your crazy taking that much risk. I am in your same situation with a 5 year emergency fund and 45% bonds. Age 61. Retired at 55. Own my home and cars. No debt.

What risk? He has everything covered by the pension, the portfolio is just play money.

Make your emergency fund enough for 2 years of living expenses and emergencies then put the rest of the money in stock index funds (plus reinvest any dividend) and forget about it.

The forgetting part is the key: you don't worry about the ups and downs so you won't realize the loss. Just live mostly on SS and enjoy your freedom.

The problem with that strategy is that there have been multiple bears that have lasted longer than 2 years. You end up selling low.

And there's a lot of ERs here with a good ways to go until SS (including us).

1. Figure out your overall AA. Or bucket plan.
2. Figure out the most tax efficient placement of assets. This probably means bonds in your 401K.

If you need cash for living expenses, you can sell equities in your taxable account and trade bonds for equities in your 401K to get back to your desired AA.

This is a pretty simplified view, but does show how to effectively use bonds in your 401K even if you aren't able to access the account for many years.

You may find that ACA subsidies make that periodic selling of equities in taxable undesirable. In that case you have to weigh the tax effects of having some bonds or other fixed income assets in taxable vs. keeping them all in your 401K.

Yeah asset allocation is important for tax reasons, even more so with ACA. I keep 100% of equities in taxable accounts and 100% of bonds in tax-advantaged (IRA, Roth, 401k) so there's no interest to report other than the piddly bank stuff.

I keep 2 years in cash roughly. The rest in stock/reit/mlp. Fed killed bonds for now. Though awealthofcommonsense did mention the 7% yield in savings bonds with inflation protection, though limited to 10k.

Yeah I-bonds are a no brainer now, wish we could purchase more.

This question comes up every few months! I am technically 100% in stock for my liquid investments. But I have several liquid investments in RE. If I combine the "investment portfolio" then we are about 60% in stocks and 40% in RE. My goal has always been to generate enough cash flow (rental+dividend) to live off of. So fluctuations in portfolio value are less impactful. 100% stocks will give you better returns but higher standard deviation. It is all about what is your comfort level when market inevitably tank.

One of the reason we do 100% stocks is because we are planning for a perpetual retirement period. We have a special needs son so it is important that our assets last for at least two generations.

Yeah I-bonds are a no brainer now, wish we could purchase more.

My iBonds are not liquid at all till the end of the decade! I bought mine in late 90's early 2000's, no way I'm selling! I'll sell anything else before. Insane return for no risk and tax deferred too! I quit buying when the fixed rate hit 0% so it's been a while. Wish I had more disposable income back then but bought what I could.

The problem with that strategy is that there have been multiple bears that have lasted longer than 2 years. You end up selling low.

And there's a lot of ERs here with a good ways to go until SS (including us).

Yes, but you don't sell all of your portfolio when the market is down. You only sell a very small portion. If you were to keep no cash reserve, other than what you needed for the current year, you would still be OK, provided you had a reasonable WR. Occasionally, you'd be selling a very small portion of your portfolio in a down year but, more often than not, you'd be selling during an up year.

All this stuff evens out, if you're able to take a long term view. I don't fully understand why some folk are preoccupied with never selling in a down year. There are more up years than down years.

Yes, but you don't sell all of your portfolio when the market is down
And what would you advise an investor in Japan to do? They are still waiting for new highs since 1989. A lot of investors from the late 1980's didn't live long enough to see new highs.

Think that can't happen here? Why not? It did before. Actually 25 years for the DJIA price to recover 1929 highs, with dividends only 10 years but interest rates were as high as 14% then.

And what would you advise an investor in Japan to do? They are still waiting for new highs since 1989. A lot of investors from the late 1980's didn't live long enough to see new highs.

Think that can't happen here? Why not? It did before. Actually 25 years for the DJIA price to recover 1929 highs, with dividends only 10 years but interest rates were as high as 14% then.

Modern Monetary Theory (MMT) fixed those guys. And it's heading this way.

While I don't see anything wrong with 100% equities for the OP's situation and those of numerous others who've posted in this thread who have guaranteed sources of income to more than cover their living expenses plus paid-off houses and often other real estate, there's a lot of recency bias and perhaps unwise bravado in many of the comments about stock market crashes.

Just because you've lived through the 87, 02 and 08 crashes (as I have) doesn't mean you've experienced anything like the worst market crash so far:

"The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose from 63 points in August, 1921, to 381 points by September of 1929 -- a six-fold increase. It started to descend from its peak on Sept. 3, before accelerating during a two-day crash on Monday, Oct. 28, and Tuesday, Oct. 29. The Dow on what is now known as Black Monday tumbled by nearly 13% and declined by another almost 12% on what is referred to as Black Tuesday.

By mid-November, 1929, the Dow had lost about half its value. The stock market was bearish, meaning that its value had declined by more than 20%. The Dow continued to lose value until the summer of 1932, when it bottomed out at 41 points, a stomach-churning 89% below its peak. The Dow didn't regain its pre-crash value until 1954." (Motley Fool article on market crashes).

IMHO the frequent advice to look at your % in equities, imagine it losing half of its value and not recovering for 10 years and adjusting accordingly is still a decent starting point for all but the über-rich.

Just today William Bernstein offered a worthwhile counterpoint to the "100% equities" idea:

https://humbledollar.com/2021/11/when-cash-is-king/?utm_source=mailpoet&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=another-ses-test_7

If I were that fearful of a multi-decade market downturn, I either wouldn't be in equities, or I would have a very low allocation in them. I'm not about to keep 20 years cash reserves "just in case". We've had some members here who are indeed that risk averse, and that is their prerogative. Does the 25 years figure for the DJIA that you quote, take into account dividends paid out, or not? If not, then the dividends would have served to make the situation seem a little less dire. This is where FIRECalc comes in for me. It shows that my portfolio would have survived the worst periods that the US stock market could have thrown at it. Of course, it doesn't mean that we couldn't have an even worse event in the future. However, at some point, you either have to take a leap of faith and decide that you're comfortable with the risk, or you continue working for the rest of your life.

I'll take my chances with my 2 year cash reserve. I'm only 4 years away from early SS anyway.

Last edited:

Just because you've lived through the 87, 02 and 08 crashes (as I have) doesn't mean you've experienced anything like the worst market crash so far:

.... The Dow continued to lose value until the summer of 1932, when it bottomed out at 41 points, a stomach-churning 89% below its peak. The Dow didn't regain its pre-crash value until 1954." (Motley Fool article on market crashes). ...

First off, I'm pretty sure that 1954 number excludes dividends, which are part of value. Can't just look at NAV. And de-flation played into it as well (again, IIRC).

Second, for the cases you mention, these people would hold, and see it recover - for them or their heirs if they stay invested.

Even with the possibility of deep dips, it still has been a good bet for the long term, if you don't need to sell.

-ERD50

If I were that fearful of a multi-decade market downturn, I either wouldn't be in equities, or I would have a very low allocation in them. I'm not about to keep 20 years cash reserves "just in case". We've had some members here who are indeed that risk averse, and that is their prerogative. Does the 25 years figure for the DJIA that you quote, take into account dividends paid out, or not? If not, then the dividends would have served to make the situation seem a little less dire. This is where FIRECalc comes in for me. It shows that my portfolio would have survived the worst periods that the US stock market could have thrown at it. Of course, it doesn't mean that we couldn't have an even worse event in the future. However, at some point, you either have to take a leap of faith and decide that you're comfortable with the risk, or you continue working for the rest of your life.

I'll take my chances with my 2 year cash reserve. I'm only 4 years away from early SS anyway.

I'm not keeping 20 years cash reserves and I'm certainly not working longer. A decades long bear market may not be likely but the probability is certainly well above 0 and the impact, if it happens, is very significant. So I take steps to mitigate that risk and as a result my allocation to equities varies from roughly 30% to 70%. I fear that many here simply ignore the risk, or perhaps as you suggest take a leap of faith. To me, a stock market seems a strange thing to have faith in.

I answered your question about the 1929 recovery in the post that you quoted right above your question, but I'll repeat it for you: 25 years for the DJIA price to recover 1929 highs, with dividends only 10 years but interest rates were as high as 14% then.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom