Anybody know what this tool is?

I just did some youtubing of "valve spring compressor" and it looks like this tool, if it is a valve spring compressor, "should" have a hole in the disk so that once the spring is compressed, the keepers may be accessed. I suppose the engine design could be that the keepers were somehow on the other side of the spring, but I'm not sure how that would work. In all of the videos that I saw, the cam shaft was already removed, so my theory of having those hooks loop over the cam shaft doesn't hold water.

I looked at a few google photos too; close. Got to remember that this is likely from an old Model A or T...not much compression and the springs weren't half as heavy duty as they are now. Also, tools were made for a particular engine and were not so universal as they are now; there might have been a certain way to grab the spring.
And safety glasses were not available; can only imagine how many eyes were lost with that thing!

Never tried it but I was told if you take your photo and post it to google picture search, you might get an answer.

With a name like "Winemaker" I was expecting you'd say it was to push a cork into a bottle! :LOL:

I did try to google the photo but got nothing....

Back
Top Bottom