Anybody look at becoming clergy...

maddythebeagle

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have thought about this thread before and recently got in touch with a high school friend that dropped out of megacorp and is going to seminary...Another friend has talked about it as well...

I guess that I am somewhat skeptical of these decisions as I have become somewhat anti-religious but it got me wondering if some of this is similar to the searching of folks on this board towards FIRE...

A good way to earn money without having to actually know anything or produce any results.

One of my high school classmates became a Trappist monk somewhere in Europe. He was a thoughtful, quiet guy in school who I quite liked, so I guess I can see it.

At times in my life, I have wondered if maybe the medieval model of monasticism would be so bad. There is an island in the Bay de Cannes that is home to a monastery. The monks live by their labor, pray several times a day and lead what I think is a fulfilling (if inwardly focussed) life. Doesn't sound that bad.

As long as licenses can be procured for any particular purpose by a member of the clergy if required, I can do weddings, funerals...I might even take a swing at a bah mitzvah.

So would ordained minister = mohel?

As long as licenses can be procured for any particular purpose by a member of the clergy if required, I can do weddings, funerals...I might even take a swing at a bah mitzvah.

I cant help but imagine that everything you say would be followed by a rimshot;)

I have thought about this thread before and recently got in touch with a high school friend that dropped out of megacorp and is going to seminary...Another friend has talked about it as well...

I guess that I am somewhat skeptical of these decisions as I have become somewhat anti-religious but it got me wondering if some of this is similar to the searching of folks on this board towards FIRE...
To be serious (I know, I know, there's always ONE in the bunch! :2funny:) - - I think that to be happy as clergy, you have to have a calling. Otherwise the constant giving/helping/praying/blessing without ever actually accomplishing anything would drive the most rational person 100% batty insane in about a week and a half.

If you get your own TV show it might reduce the time needed for FIRE. Depends on whether you want to keep travelling by private jet (is that LYBM when you fleece the flock for millions a month?).

I've considered "televangelist" as a possible career path. Unfortunately I have this thing called a lack of belief combined with morals.

If we ever have a trivia contest, I'm going to remember that CFB is a minister and win the six-pack. Heck, and I thought I was cool because I was a notary. ;)

Clergy don't have to pay into SS, right? But only on clergy-related income. And I think they get a bigger tax break on their housing costs, IIRC.
But, no, still not worth it.
Although I did once go on a blind date (reminder from the internet dating thread) with a guy that went into the seminary the following week, much to the surprise of his family (I knew his sister). I'm proud at the thought that our vehement argument at a Waffle House over the existence of God tipped him right the heck over the edge. ;)

When I was in college, I got a phone call from my parents saying, "Hey, we're selling the farm (literally) and we're both going to become ministers."

Well, they did that and both seemed to enjoy it. My dad passed away seven years ago, but my mom is still enjoying it well enough that she'll be doing it for at least another year (she turns 65 this year). They both expressed the feeling that it was a "calling".

And then there's me. They were always very religious, it was around constantly. And now I am strongly anti-religion, and can feel myself get physically stressed if I get near a church, synogogue, or hear some sort of religious discussion. In fact, I can feel myself getting tense as I type this, so I should immediately stop wr

My inlaws are considering becoming missionaries in the Phillipines. They have family there and the cost of living is lower so it might be a good choice for them. Both of their kids already graduated from college and my MIL is only 48. They're thinking of doing it as soon as possible.

Back
Top Bottom