Anyone Diving in Today??

The money ($7.7K) from the tender offer for HK in early August finally showed up in my sweep account.
I did ask Mr B to keep an eye out for a good stock buy. His advice was to let the money sit for a month, then go shopping again. Or buy more BHP when it dipped again.
So I think I'm going to leave that little cash stash alone for now. :D

CNBC was saying yesterday that September is usuallly a bad month for stocks.

September is the worst month of the year but then there was last year where the markets roared after the announcement of QE II and September was up a lot kicking off a nice rally for several months.

I have been buying on the really big down days over the past month or so. I've made 4 purchases and the 1st was at a brutally high 1305 on the S&P 500. I checked things today as I do at month end and I was surprised to see those purchases have already made a small profit gaining back all the money spent. I figured I was under water for a while based upon the level of the 1st 2 purchases which weren't all that great considering where things went. When the S&P 500 gets back to the 1340 level, even the 1300 level, I'll have made a nice profit.

Market timing, yes, but buying when there is blood in the streets pays off eventually all you need is to be patient. I figure even if it takes a year this will pan out. :dance:

Buying today? Not yet, but some of my stock allocations, namely VGK and VWO, are approaching 20% out-of-whack. Trigger point is 25%...

Can't resist....buying a few etf's and have a few limit orders in on some things that I think have fallen too far too fast.

Just dumped in a bunch this morning, although some purchases were through vanguard so I get whatever price the funds give me at 4 pm today. International small cap, US small cap, and US small cap value were all out of whack so I filled those out to get back to my targets.

Watching close and will probably play Texas Hold-um (all in) at around 3:00 PM today with the 401K. Pulled out last week on the rally so it will be my last in and out available for September as we can only do that twice a month. Have to buy target funds or index funds so will probably go with a 2035 or 2040 target to maximize stock allocation. And then watch for the rally to jump back out before the end of the month.

I would like to do a little diving, but I invested almost all my cash in August and earlier in September, unfortunately. If the market will just be kind enough to stay down another week, I can put in a little more.

Dumped my first 20% of spare cash in yesterday and today. Now I have to wait for another 10% down. May not have to wait for long at this rate, but it gives me something to look forward to if I have to watch these buys lose money.

I've been buying on the way down and some of those are not so good purchases today. I'm waiting for 1070 on the S&P 500 then I'll buy again. All these purchases has raised my equity exposure way above what I wanted and now it looks like another TEOTWAWKI with me sitting on way too much in equities. Whether it's 6 months or a year it will come back and I'm not using the money in the mean time so I need to be patient.

Not unlike what I stated in the very first post of this thread, I was buying a few shares of DVY today. Perhaps more tomorrow.
The beauty of the FIDO free ride is that you can tiptoe in with 15-20 shares at a crack without commissions killing you. Plus, if your timing is off, you're not singing the blues over a 100 share purchase.

I was thinking of getting more DVY also, but the price was still higher than when I got them at the last dip, so I am holding on until it drops some more...

The S&P is just back down to where I bought a bunch last month, so it's not time to buy more yet. Sure wish I could buy bonds in good conscience. I'm also waiting for S&P 1070 before my next dip buy. I still have a buy order in for AAPL at $350 (in my Roth testosterone account) from last month. I wonder if it will get there this time? Not likely based on today.

harley said:
The S&P is just back down to where I bought a bunch last month, so it's not time to buy more yet. Sure wish I could buy bonds in good conscience. I'm also waiting for S&P 1070 before my next dip buy. I still have a buy order in for AAPL at $350 (in my Roth testosterone account) from last month. I wonder if it will get there this time? Not likely based on today.

If anything I'd expect iPhone 5 announcement (and Sprint getting the phone) to spike it upwards in the next two weeks.

I had thought of buying a few large cap shares over the past several days, but the huge gyrations simply make me stay my hand ( or mouse ). OK, so I'm chicken ----:(

Wonder if triple digit ups and downs will be the norm?

The onslaught of bad news from all fronts - here in the US, Europe, Middle east, earthquakes, hurricanes, floods, fires, etc, etc Really puts a kibosh on any optimism I may have looking forward to the next year 2012.

Will 2012 be the year it all Implodes? or Explodes? Maybe the Mayans knew a lot more than we give them credit for.......

Bought 475 shares of PGH @ $9.17 prior to a .07 dividend paid yesterday; monthly payout at appx. 9% annually. A bit more risky choice; risk / reward looks ok with this kind of divy...

Sold my SLV calls for a 14% gain.

Sold my DXD calls for a 43% gain.

I'm now holding to see what this market is doing. It's a whipsaw right now.

If there's a rally I'll short the market, and if silver falls further I'm going to buy short term SLV call options.

I sold a bunch at 12500....lucky guess.... and just sold more around 11500 as I decided to cash in and pay off the mortgage while I had enough in after tax to do it. I'm now at 23% equities/43% bonds/34% cash and short term reserves. I won't be rebalancing until market volatility is a lot less.

UGH!!! I saw a reversal today and sold the puts too early. Right after I did that the banks tanked. I missed out on 40-50% profits today. Oh well, at least I didn't lose money!:)

You folks buying puts and SKF might give the impression that this board is comprised of members who are thoroughly adept at playing the swings of the market.

Seems like most of you folks have made out well as the market goes to new 2011 lows. Every index , every sector, that I track is deep in the red.

Other than myself, are there any forum members who have been hurt by the action of the past 5 weeks? Am I the only one lying broken and bleeding in the ( wall ) street? :( :(

Back
Top Bottom